Idol Theory/ Worship to Godhood

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Any novels here or in NU (too lazy to post in NUF) that has something like this?

Basically like ELLC's "god maketh man and man maketh god", the entity requires people to worship/ like/ vote for it so that it get the power of the masses via their wishes.

In today's system type novels, it is like how the MC's system will require people to like/ hate him/ her and they gain points to level up/ upgrade themselves.

It has been quite awhile since I seen in xianxia/ fantasy wuxia and they often talk about topics like becoming a mountain/ water god (an object of worship) and that itself is a form of cultivation technique.

Kitsura

Death mage has this system.

"The Death Mage Who Doesn't Want a Fourth Time"

KyoruS

Hmmm... interesting what counts as worships though? Does the believer needs to perform a worship ritual, have a shrine dedicated to its god, or just simply believe and like its god?

Draconite

Exist in the void
Carefree path of dreams has an arc where the MC becomes a belief god, it's around chapter 700 i think

ScholarOccultCauldron

Last arc of Warlock of the Magus World has something like this. Otherwise, Keyboard Immortal gets power from the rage he incurs from others.

vzymmer

There was that one about villains on royalroad but I forgot the title.
The premise was basically about a villain's path to godhood using machines

Jemini

I was actually going to say that. Warlock of the Magus World also does something like this in the final 1/3 of the series. (it is a 1200 chapter series, so final 1/3 means you have to get through 800 chapters before seeing anything to that effect.)

I have also written my series on a very similar concept.

This concept is actually based out of a real world theory of religiosity. I forget the name, but there actually is a name for it. The people's belief can change and alter the form and nature of the god. I've actually added something to my world because of this where if there's a god that actually supports the foundation of the world in some way then it's actually considered blasphemy to worship this god in any form for fear that the act of worshiping them incorrectly could destroy the world.

(Both my series take place in the same multiverse, so they both have this system.)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I was actually going to say that. Warlock of the Magus World also does something like this in the final 1/3 of the series. (it is a 1200 chapter series, so final 1/3 means you have to get through 800 chapters before seeing anything to that effect.)

This concept is actually based out of a real world theory of religiosity. I forget the name, but there actually is a name for it. The people's belief can change and alter the form and nature of the god. I've actually added something to my world because of this where if there's a god that actually supports the foundation of the world in some way then it's actually considered blasphemy to worship this god in any form for fear that the act of worshiping them incorrectly could destroy the world.

(Both my series take place in the same multiverse, so they both have this system.)
...ok so only your work in SH then...

I had totally forgot about Death Mage, possibly because I had catagorize it with Slime Tensei.
There was that one about villains on royalroad but I forgot the title.
The premise was basically about a villain's path to godhood using machines
Not what I am looking for, but thanks.

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Hmmm... interesting what counts as worships though? Does the believer needs to perform a worship ritual, have a shrine dedicated to its god, or just simply believe and like its god?
A shrine is required iirc, to officially recognise the entity as a god or idol of worship, though oftentimes in the past, folks like Guan Yu or Gandhi did something that seems impossible and gets detified in the eyes of the masses. While they are not being enshrined (yet), they are already considered to be legendary characters (like Overgeared and Legendaries have the "Legends never die" skill) and slowly on their way to become a sort of great spirit (going FGO here).

Then your god is too heavily reliant on the masses? I can tell that shit will go south real quick considering that there are always folks seeking destruction.

Some guy coined in other forums to me that there is someone using a similar system, namely the Buddha system in a weirdass CN apocalypse novel, where a monk used the refugees' prayers to empower himself for more fighting prowess. While the monk is fighting the hordes, many of his comrades commented how great it is to use the power to become a deity, an one-eyed guy immediately said "for now, he can be a good buddha as everyone is praying for safety and happiness. But what will happen if they start to pray for their own greed and vices instead?" An image of a evil buddha lusting for blood and terror immediately scared the folks, what is worse is that the monk might not even know or can do anything if he turns into an evil god.

Last edited:

TRNRLogan

Incidentally wasn't Tenjin Sama essentially this irl? After he died he ended up getting raised to Kami status, with a brief stint as a Yokai, and is currently still prayed to.

Also I was gonna mention Death Mage but was beat to it.

lambchap

I Shall Seal The Heavens Chapters 300+. This parts here have tribes of elemental affinities that worships Totems. Meng Hao, the mc, here is also collecting the elemental affinity he needed to ascend to Nascent Soul

Vulture

I think belief is a main part of the transcending to godhood part otherwise all gods are just guys with superpowers