If time was frozen for 24 hours, what would you do?

CainStillWalks

Ok, so you have 24 hours of frozen time, and you can do anything in that time. What would you do?

Me personally, I'd panic over time being frozen then end up doing nothing since I procrastinated way too much and was overwhelmed by options.
im stealing soooooooo much shit. video games, consoles, tvs, drugs, money, all kinds of stuff

DarkeReises

Ultimate Wankmaster, Jizzer of Universes
Probably be really bored. Like, all the stuff I do for entertainment these days is electronic, and the electrons in the wires and the signals over the internet would all be frozen too.

I couldn't just go rob a bank because authorities will be looking for anomalous large sums of money being spent. Plus I think most stuff is electronic these days anyway, and I'd feel bad about it if I did steal anything.

Of course this is all moot because the molecules in the air would be frozen too, so what I'd actually do is suffocate and die.

im stealing soooooooo much shit. video games, consoles, tvs, drugs, money, all kinds of stuff
Instead of robbing a bank, robbing a pharmacy will probably be the better choice. Or maybe if you know a local drug den. Sell it smartly, and over long periods of time, and you'll make enough.
Assuming the time freeze just works and you can live fine during it.

Caligula-san

Ok, so you have 24 hours of frozen time, and you can do anything in that time. What would you do?

Me personally, I'd panic over time being frozen then end up doing nothing since I procrastinated way too much and was overwhelmed by options.
Pure unadulterated mayhem.

Jemini

Well I'd be frozen for 24 hours.

Really though I'd probably try to figure out a way to use this frozen time to get enough money to never have to worry about it anymore for the rest of my life so, Rob a bank I guess

I would rob as many banks as possible.

You don't want to rob banks. This blows most people's minds, but banks do not actually have all that much in terms of money in the vault. Maybe there's a few thousand or so for people who want to be paid out in cash, but it's not enough to really get you set for life if you were to rob it.

This is for several reasons. 1. Banks are also for lending. They lend that money back out to other people. 2. They have security to think about, just in case somebody robs them. They don't want to be out too much. 3. Most currency is actually digital now days.

If you want to REALLY have enough in terms of funding to have you pretty much set, and you have your eye on getting this done via theft, there have been several good suggestions above about robbing pharmacies and ripping off technology and such. However, if you went that route you'd have to find a way to fence the stuff.

No, the place you REALLY want to hit is a precious metals repository, preferably for gold or platinum just for the value per ounce/gram. It is a physical good, there is a lot more actual value in one place for you to steal, and it is easier to sell for cash with a few good connections. If you cut it down a bit to pieces with value less than 10,000 USD, you can even sell them to any one of several precious metals purchasing shops, and just go around from one to another.

(I scare myself sometimes with the things I happen to know. This is one of those times.)

Flashwolf96

Panic and cry at the confusing and admittedly terrifying situation of being all alone with no human contact, like the entire world had suddenly turned into mannequins. I'd be too afraid to even leave my own home, eternally paranoid about the true purpose of the time freeze, and at the idea that there might be some monster or dangerous entity out there that also isn't frozen and is coming to get me (like that one SCP that's invisible to the naked eye, and attacks if they think you can see one of the many lingering all around us.)

I'd want to try and sleep the hours away... but yeah, even if I did know it would only last 24 hours, that's just too scary to let my guard down in that kind of situation. I'd be tense the whole time, with my back parked in a corner and maybe a weapon at the ready just in case. The sheer silence would be absolutely maddening, but I'd be too worried about alerting whoever or whatever caused the time freeze so I'd try not to mess with anything around me.

Now I know that's a ridiculous amount of overthinking, but I don't think I'll ever be able to see eye to eye with the people who'd just play around without even questioning what the heck is going on :blob_pout:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
No, the place you REALLY want to hit is a precious metals repository, preferably for gold or platinum just for the value per ounce/gram. It is a physical good, there is a lot more actual value in one place for you to steal, and it is easier to sell for cash with a few good connections. If you cut it down a bit to pieces with value less than 10,000 USD, you can even sell them to any one of several precious metals purchasing shops, and just go around from one to another.

(I scare myself sometimes with the things I happen to know. This is one of those times.)
24 hours you’re not going to have enough time to get much out of it. Even if time is frozen you’ve still got to get in which will eat up time itself. You’ve also got to get something to transport a large quantity of heavy shit in a short 24 hour period of time. Once time unfreezes, you’ve also got to store all of it away safely. You think storing all that is something simple? It’s not. Someone is sure to mug/rob you, or just straight up report you as after time unfreezes it will be uncovered and there will be a manhunt. It will be obvious the culprit would not have gotten far with all of those precious metals, at least they will assume that.

What you truly want to do to be set for the rest of your life is perform the ultimate kidnapping. Cameras will never spot you. Nobody will ever see you. There will be no evidence. You can strip their clothes and burn them on the spot to ensure they don’t have anything on them that could be used to track them, throw away any devices they have on them as well. You can commit the perfect kidnapping and never be found.

You could flee to another country after kidnapping the richest people in the world like Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, hell toss in the president while you’re at it. Trade all of them to a corrupt government for an exorbitant sum of money(in a clever fashion where you can’t be backstabbed of course). You could even get that entire precious metals repository you had your eyes set on at the start with these hostages if you wanted. That country in return can then get their hands on a hefty sum of money or political advantage over adversaries through a hostage exchange.

If you’re too lazy, an alternative would be to just straight up steal the Mona Lisa which is worth like 800 mil. That would be the easiest money to be set for life if you can sell it. Obviously you won’t get 800 mil for it, but you’d still be able to get a good chunk of change.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
If time is frozen, won't space be frozen as well? Even if I can move, I doubt I can move anything else, welp time to contemplate the meaning of life.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
If time is frozen, won't space be frozen as well? Even if I can move, I doubt I can move anything else, welp time to contemplate the meaning of life.
Yeah, that’s one problem to it as well. But, gravity still functions even if time is frozen as time is dependant on light. It isn’t actually that space is frozen, just that you’re moving so fast it appears things are frozen. But you should still be able to move things as it just means you will instantaneously change their speed to the speed of light. You’re already moving at the speed of light so it should be possible to change another objects speed to the speed of light once it becomes part of your combined mass. Your clothes are still moving with you so why would it be different for it?

For convenience just ignore the fact that changing its speed to the speed of light in an instant would probably destroy it.

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

Only one thing comes to mind, but I can’t tell you though~ lol

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Break into peoples houses, rifle through their things, take anything I don't like, and destroy it. "Oh, this person has a can of Hominy, gross. Yeet that into the sidewalk as hard as possible." Or "This book looks homophobic. I'ma burn it."

Jemini

24 hours you’re not going to have enough time to get much out of it. Even if time is frozen you’ve still got to get in which will eat up time itself. You’ve also got to get something to transport a large quantity of heavy shit in a short 24 hour period of time. Once time unfreezes, you’ve also got to store all of it away safely. You think storing all that is something simple? It’s not. Someone is sure to mug/rob you, or just straight up report you as after time unfreezes it will be uncovered and there will be a manhunt. It will be obvious the culprit would not have gotten far with all of those precious metals, at least they will assume that.

What you truly want to do to be set for the rest of your life is perform the ultimate kidnapping. Cameras will never spot you. Nobody will ever see you. There will be no evidence. You can strip their clothes and burn them on the spot to ensure they don’t have anything on them that could be used to track them, throw away any devices they have on them as well. You can commit the perfect kidnapping and never be found.

You could flee to another country after kidnapping the richest people in the world like Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, hell toss in the president while you’re at it. Trade all of them to a corrupt government for an exorbitant sum of money(in a clever fashion where you can’t be backstabbed of course). You could even get that entire precious metals repository you had your eyes set on at the start with these hostages if you wanted. That country in return can then get their hands on a hefty sum of money or political advantage over adversaries through a hostage exchange.

If you’re too lazy, an alternative would be to just straight up steal the Mona Lisa which is worth like 800 mil. That would be the easiest money to be set for life if you can sell it. Obviously you won’t get 800 mil for it, but you’d still be able to get a good chunk of change.

Dude! Do you have ANY IDEA how much money a single gold ingot is worth?

One ingot weighs 27 lbs. Gold is priced per ounce, and 27 lbs is 432 oz. The value of gold tends to fluctuate right in and around 2,000 USD. 2,000 X 432 = 864,000.

You don't have to hit the entire repository. Just taking a single ingot is enough to have you set for life if you lived conservatively, and it wouldn't be all that hard to transport or hide.

In quantities like that, it is also less likely for people to notice it missing, easier to hide, and unlike works of art you can easily alter it and have it retain it's value. That last factor, the ability to alter it, is the part that makes it far easier to sell off. How would you even begin when it came to trying to sell the Mona Lisa?

Melt it down and contaminate it with a few trace element, and then sell it off in beads. You can say you found them panning for gold and the buyers will not even have reason to question you. Especially if you vary up who you are selling it to.

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Dude! Do you have ANY IDEA how much money a single gold ingot is worth?

One ingot weighs 27 lbs. Gold is priced per ounce, and 27 lbs is 432 oz. The value of gold tends to fluctuate right in and around 2,000 USD. 2,000 X 432 = 864,000.

You don't have to hit the entire repository. Just taking a single ingot is enough to have you set for life if you lived conservatively, and it wouldn't be all that hard to transport or hide.

In quantities like that, it is also less likely for people to notice it missing, easier to hide, and unlike works of art you can easily alter it and have it retain it's value. That last factor, the ability to alter it, is the part that makes it far easier to sell off. How would you even begin when it came to trying to sell the Mona Lisa?

Melt it down and contaminate it with a few trace element, and then sell it off in beads. You can say you found them panning for gold and the buyers will not even have reason to question you. Especially if you vary up who you are selling it to.
The big problem is getting into the repository in the first place though. You’re definitely going to need to physically damage it to get in. You won’t be able to open it normally as to get in will require computers to operate and function normally to open the doors which they won’t when time is frozen. A computer can’t operate at or faster than the speed of light which is what would be required of it if time was frozen. It isn’t as simple as simply accelerating something to the speed of light through space with your hands in the case of computers. There is the big problem of entry and exit even with time frozen. You will leave obvious visible damage when entering which is what makes it obvious someone broke in in the first place. You assume a repository is not going to be locked behind thick reinforced closed doors? You’d need to get super lucky and for it to all be open when time froze. Do you get to choose when time freezes though? Doubtful.

If you do the act with guarantee of being discovered, simply taking a single gold bar or a few would be foolish with the big risk you take on after it is discovered someone broke in. Whether it was one or all of it, it would be treated the same, the very fact that someone broke in would result in that man hunt.

Once the man hunt begins you think anyone’s going to blindly accept gold without questioning things? With a manhunt where there’s a large cash reward out everyone will be on pins and needles and ask where you got it. You’re just going to hand them melted down gold? You’d become a prime suspect immediately in such a situation. You think they wouldn’t suspect that’s exactly what you’d do? So if you are discovered going around to multiple locations trying to sell off sketchy melted down gold in bead form they’ll easily link things back to you. You’d have to have someone turn it into proper jewellery, but any jeweller will naturally hear the news and be aware of this manhunt as well.

Now the Mona Lisa, that’s easy when time is frozen and you have plenty of time to escape. Light, can roll it up, then sell it at some shady underground auction to a collector with no morals.

Let’s say you can’t do that for the Mona Lisa. Eventually the country would even offer a large sum of money for its return or whoever can find it or provide clues that lead to its discovery. You could wait it out several years and then “stumble upon it by chance.” How are they going to prove you’re the one who stole it? You’ll be rewarded as the person who found it instead.

You’ll even find an easy way to fame. You’ll be recorded in history as the person who found it rather than stole it.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
This is def my answer. I'd take all the money and not even feel bad.
I'd have to stick to banks within bicycling distance since I don't drive, and even if I did, trying to weave through all the frozen cars would be a nightmare.
You don't want to rob banks. This blows most people's minds, but banks do not actually have all that much in terms of money in the vault. Maybe there's a few thousand or so for people who want to be paid out in cash, but it's not enough to really get you set for life if you were to rob it.

This is for several reasons. 1. Banks are also for lending. They lend that money back out to other people. 2. They have security to think about, just in case somebody robs them. They don't want to be out too much. 3. Most currency is actually digital now days.

If you want to REALLY have enough in terms of funding to have you pretty much set, and you have your eye on getting this done via theft, there have been several good suggestions above about robbing pharmacies and ripping off technology and such. However, if you went that route you'd have to find a way to fence the stuff.

Good to know! Being limited on how much I could travel in 24 hours, though, I would probably sick to my home town, so I might just wind up going door-to-door grabbing everyone's cash and jewels. I might have more luck in the wealthier parts of town, and I wouldn't want to steal from my direct neighbors anyway.

Last edited:

Jemini

The big problem is getting into the repository in the first place though. You’re definitely going to need to physically damage it to get in. You won’t be able to open it normally as to get in will require computers to operate and function normally to open the doors which they won’t when time is frozen. A computer can’t operate at or faster than the speed of light which is what would be required of it if time was frozen. It isn’t as simple as simply accelerating something to the speed of light through space with your hands in the case of computers. There is the big problem of entry and exit even with time frozen. You will leave obvious visible damage when entering which is what makes it obvious someone broke in in the first place. You assume a repository is not going to be locked behind thick reinforced closed doors? You’d need to get super lucky and for it to all be open when time froze. Do you get to choose when time freezes though? Doubtful.

If you do the act with guarantee of being discovered, simply taking a single gold bar or a few would be foolish with the big risk you take on after it is discovered someone broke in. Whether it was one or all of it, it would be treated the same, the very fact that someone broke in would result in that man hunt.

Once the man hunt begins you think anyone’s going to blindly accept gold without questioning things? With a manhunt where there’s a large cash reward out everyone will be on pins and needles and ask where you got it. You’re just going to hand them melted down gold? You’d become a prime suspect immediately in such a situation. You think they wouldn’t suspect that’s exactly what you’d do? So if you are discovered going around to multiple locations trying to sell off sketchy melted down gold in bead form they’ll easily link things back to you. You’d have to have someone turn it into proper jewellery, but any jeweller will naturally hear the news and be aware of this manhunt as well.

Now the Mona Lisa, that’s easy when time is frozen and you have plenty of time to escape. Light, can roll it up, then sell it at some shady underground auction to a collector with no morals.

Let’s say you can’t do that for the Mona Lisa. Eventually the country would even offer a large sum of money for its return or whoever can find it or provide clues that lead to its discovery. You could wait it out several years and then “stumble upon it by chance.” How are they going to prove you’re the one who stole it? You’ll be rewarded as the person who found it instead.

You’ll even find an easy way to fame. You’ll be recorded in history as the person who found it rather than stole it.

1. We're not talking about hitting fort nox here. You could easily just go after the gold at one of those very brokerage shops. Or, maybe you could hit the mint. They do use the official mints to strike specialty collectors coins, and they also use them to strike the 1 ounce gold coins distributed to paid collectors.

Or, you could even hit one of the temporary holding locations for the gold in transit between the large repositories and the mint.

2. You just solved the very problem you were yipping about with the gold when you were talking about your solution on the Mona Lisa. All you have to do is wait. With gold, you even have an added benefit. You can store it a lot more roughly. You can even burry it in the dirt. You can't put the Mona Lisa in the dirt, it would be destroyed by such an action.

You should seriously look into what goes into art preservation. Just holding an old painting like the Mona Lisa in conditions that are too hot or too humid can cause the paints to begin running, and you also need to keep it from getting crushed or scraped. You also would have to worry about bugs or rats getting into wherever you are storing it. There are way too many things that could go wrong very easily in the years it would take for you to wait for the heat to die down.

You don't have to worry so much with the gold. The only concern you would have with the gold is somebody else finding your hiding spot, but then you'd have the exact same concern with the Mona Lisa.

3. As I detailed in #1, there are fairly low-profile ways to steal a gold ingot. These methods could even go without it being widely reported at all. Nothing is going to stop them from suspecting theft with an item valued at nearly a million US dollars going missing, but if anything they will suspect one of the employees and launch an investigation into them long before they ever start looking outside their organization, and it would never go up on the news at any point.

As for the Mona Lisa, there is absolutely nothing that could prevent that from becoming high-profile and discussed on every social media blog the entire world over. You would have a lot more than just the local police and local federal enforcement agencies looking into it, you would have literally everyone in the entire world spouting theories. Also, there is a chance you might accidentally mobilize a crew of internet theorists. If you get those guys motivated, they can literally figure out ANYTHING.

(There was a rather famous case in the US shortly after Trump was elected. There was this guy who hung a flag that said "He Will Not Divide Us" waving up in some secret location. 4-Chan found the location within 24 hours based on road sounds and airplane con-trails that were visible and audible on the feed. An internet group can literally be better at figuring things out than the world's best supercomputers if you get them motivated enough.)

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
1. We're not talking about hitting fort nox here. You could easily just go after the gold at one of those very brokerage shops. Or, maybe you could hit the mint. They do use the official mints to strike specialty collectors coins, and they also use them to strike the 1 ounce gold coins distributed to paid collectors.

Or, you could even hit one of the temporary holding locations for the gold in transit between the large repositories and the mint.

2. You just solved the very problem you were yipping about with the gold when you were talking about your solution on the Mona Lisa. All you have to do is wait. With gold, you even have an added benefit. You can store it a lot more roughly. You can even burry it in the dirt. You can't put the Mona Lisa in the dirt, it would be destroyed by such an action.

You should seriously look into what goes into art preservation. Just holding an old painting like the Mona Lisa in conditions that are too hot or too humid can cause the paints to begin running, and you also need to keep it from getting crushed or scraped. You also would have to worry about bugs or rats getting into wherever you are storing it. There are way too many things that could go wrong very easily in the years it would take for you to wait for the heat to die down.

You don't have to worry so much with the gold. The only concern you would have with the gold is somebody else finding your hiding spot, but then you'd have the exact same concern with the Mona Lisa.

3. As I detailed in #1, there are fairly low-profile ways to steal a gold ingot. These methods could even go without it being widely reported at all. Nothing is going to stop them from suspecting theft with an item valued at nearly a million US dollars going missing, but if anything they will suspect one of the employees and launch an investigation into them long before they ever start looking outside their organization, and it would never go up on the news at any point.

As for the Mona Lisa, there is absolutely nothing that could prevent that from becoming high-profile and discussed on every social media blog the entire world over. You would have a lot more than just the local police and local federal enforcement agencies looking into it, you would have literally everyone in the entire world spouting theories. Also, there is a chance you might accidentally mobilize a crew of internet theorists. If you get those guys motivated, they can literally figure out ANYTHING.

(There was a rather famous case in the US shortly after Trump was elected. There was this guy who hung a flag that said "He Will Not Divide Us" waving up in some secret location. 4-Chan found the location within 24 hours based on road sounds and airplane con-trails that were visible and audible on the feed. An internet group can literally be better at figuring things out than the world's best supercomputers if you get them motivated enough.)
I know about art preservation, that’s the entire reason the Mona Lisa is sealed away in a climate controlled thick bullet proof glass box, both for protection and conservation through control of humidity, temperature, lighting and whatnot. As for rats and bugs, where I’d store it, there’s no need to worry about them either. People stumbling across it, there’s no need to worry about that in the designated location. It just so happens I have the ideal conditions to store it which is why I’d say to sit on it for a few years if really necessary.

But you honestly don’t even need to wait a few years anyway, a high reward would obviously be put out soon after it disappears for the sole reason you’re listing anyway. They themselves know better than anyone else it will degrade quickly so with the insurance money they can claim on it, the reward put out would be a juicy one for whoever finds it or leads to its discovery.

Effectively, you have it taken an this high profile artwork hostage, if they piss you off, you could burn the damn thing for all they know. You simply need to store it where you’ll inevitably tip off authorities where you saw a suspicious person headed in a certain direction with what appeared to be a rolled up parchment who when you asked about it they were evasive and it made you suspicious. Even a stupid tip like that would eventually be looked into. The reward will inevitably end up in your hands.

There would never be any evidence connecting you to it either. However, you could plant fake evidence as the simple act of there being no evidence would be strange. With it carefully wrapped up, you will plant another person’s finger prints all over the material you wrap it in when time was still frozen. Make it a pretty high up employee who works there of course.

You’ll be able to assert your innocence in such a fashion, get the fat juicy reward and fame, and throw everyone into disarray and confusion as to how that person was the perpetrator or accomplice. Who’s ever going to think time was frozen when some random nobody stole it? They’ll be laughed to death if they said that with a serious face. It’d be too absurd to believe. Someone in a far away country was never detected or seen in the country or any counties nearby even once.

Regarding internet sleuths finding you, how are they going to find someone that has no internet footprint related to their real identity with literally no evidence left behind at the scene of the crime when it initially disappears? By the time time resumes, it’s already safely hidden away. They can literally do nothing.

As for the gold, even if you wait years, the second you dig it up and start distributing it as gold beads, the problem with your plan still remains that some random approaching multiple people to sell them off in small quantities if detected can be traced back to you.

But either way though, neither your plan nor mine would likely work in the end since these items are just going to be destroyed and atomized once time resumes because of the insane acceleration they experienced to bring them up to the speed of light while time was frozen. The simple act of touching them and picking them up accelerates them to the speed of light. Even if your body ignores it, it doesn’t mean these objects ignore it. Once you put it down and time resumes for them, they’re going to poof from experiencing a near infinite force from their initial reference frame in time. So as for you storing gold in the ground, good luck with that when it explodes and causes a scene after time resumes. Those gold particles will then float away into the atmosphere. Same for the Mona Lisa or anything anyone else wants to steal.

If you try to store it somewhere under pressure to prevent the gold particles from escaping, the container you’re trying to store it in is just going to explode. It all ends up being pointless.

The only way to truly steal anything of value without it being destroyed would be acquiring something like passwords and login credentials or information like trade secrets for corporations/confidential information written down by sneaking into some high profile people’s places and trying to find if they have it written down somewhere. You could sell those login credentials or the information you acquired to the right people, and that’d honestly be your best bet of making any real money. Information is the most valuable thing you can actually acquire while time is frozen, not anything material.

Lol imagine a series where this is the premise. The best thief in the world but they keep failing in the end because the stuff they steal always explodes. In the end they realize they can only steal information. Time just randomly freezes for them for 24 hours every now and then and they become the best worst phantom thief in the world.

Last edited:

Jemini

But either way though, neither your plan nor mine would likely work in the end since these items are just going to be destroyed and atomized once time resumes because of the insane acceleration they experienced to bring them up to the speed of light while time was frozen. The simple act of touching them and picking them up accelerates them to the speed of light. Even if your body ignores it, it doesn’t mean these objects ignore it. Once you put it down and time resumes for them, they’re going to poof from experiencing a near infinite force from their initial reference frame in time. So as for you storing gold in the ground, good luck with that when it explodes and causes a scene after time resumes. Those gold particles will then float away into the atmosphere. Same for the Mona Lisa or anything anyone else wants to steal.

If you try to store it somewhere under pressure to prevent the gold particles from escaping, the container you’re trying to store it in is just going to explode. It all ends up being pointless.

The only way to truly steal anything of value without it being destroyed would be acquiring something like passwords and login credentials or information like trade secrets for corporations/confidential information written down by sneaking into some high profile people’s places and trying to find if they have it written down somewhere. You could sell those login credentials or the information you acquired to the right people, and that’d honestly be your best bet of making any real money. Information is the most valuable thing you can actually acquire while time is frozen, not anything material.

And this is exactly why I love getting into arguments and will never stop. It forces both you and the person arguing opposite you to work your brains far harder than you would in a casual more laid-back discussion, and eventually one of you will come up with a truly great idea that solves all the problems with both arguments.

Meanwhile, until that moment happens, you get to see all the hidden little flaws in your own argument that you would not have noticed thinking on your own initiative. You can think of far better ways to implement your own idea, and the other guy will probably be able to see issues you couldn't see.

(BTW: The issue with internet sleuths that does not apply to computers is they do not need to think logically, and they actually could take the giant leaps of logic that would allow them to bridge the gap and actually consider a time-stop as the solution to the problem. In fact, they would come up with it within the first hour most likely. The only real question is how long it would take for that to become the prominent theory. But really, it never really has to become a prominent theory. It really could stay at the back-corner among the theorists. All you need is for it to be entertained enough for some small portion of them to be tracking down that lead.)