I'll give feedback, too!

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Since top 5 threads in this section are various people forum regulars offering warranted feedbacks, I thought I should jump on bandwagon too and offer my expert analysis for any budding novelist(to crush their hopes and help them find a better hobby, of course!)

I will read one chapter of your story. I will tell you what I liked or disliked about the story, and point out flaws in grammar if I find any.

Then if I like it, I will read more!

Sounds good, eh? Eh?
I have no limits, so hit me up with fucked up shit.

But if you get offended by my honest opinions, then don't ask me again.
Oh, and mind that I am just a human (though I am working on my eventual ascension to daemonhood) so I have my own biases and preferences, and nothing I say is ever gonna be 100% objective.

Storiesbyblacksheep

I have no reviews currently on this site so I’ll bite. Tell me what you think.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
As long as you give me a one-star review, that sounds lovely :)

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I have no reviews currently on this site so I’ll bite. Tell me what you think.

The description is pretty cool, tho a bit vague. Still, it tells me just enough about what the story is gonna be about(action fantasy?) that I might just read it. Vibes of anti-hero mc, perhaps some kind of large war?

Then the chapter begins with mc talking to his mother. I wasn't sure how old he's supposed to be, but based on his language and behavior I'd say no more than 5 year old. There is no way he wouldn't realize he's hurting his mother with his dream otherwise, and wouldn't come to her for "reassurance" in the first place if he was older.

Then the training combat scene starts, and he's suddenly acting like a teenager? Was there a 10 year time skip or something? Well, whatever.
The action scene was pretty messy, consider this sentence:

My confidence was riding high after consecutive perfect evasions, I was circling around Emilia, slowly making my way back towards her and soon, I might be able to strike at her.

Could be divided into several smaller ones easily.

Then chapter ends, and there's not much there that would make me click on the next one. We have adopted mc who's either extremely socially inept or callous(so not very likable) and two other seemingly major characters introduced, his mother and emilia. We have his quest for becoming a knight, but that we already knew from synopsis. There are bits and pieces about setting mentioned in a dialog, but not much enough for us to know or even picture what kinda place the action is happening in, or what.

So in other words, after reading synopsis and one chapter, the reader(me!) has three elements:
1. Cover and synopsis, action rebellion anti-hero awooga awooga
2. MC's dream and past, mystery and family drama
3. Action packed training scene with friends

And these 3 elements kinda don't flow. Like pieces of a puzzle that don't fit. After getting reader interested in mc's past, it would be better to capitalize on that and continue that plot line, and start with training scene in chapter 2. Or some other chapter later. Or start with training, and only reveal that mc is adopted later....

The first-person prose is done rather crudely, too. Especially the dream/flashback part. Surely there was a better way to tell this story than just writing it normally in first person pov like the rest of the book? Also, I'm not sure what kinda first-person pov it is. It kinda reads like present tense poc, except it's in past tense and the protag sometimes knows things that didn't happen yet. But then, it's not fully committed to past tense to feel like the mc is telling his story from the pov of future.
As long as you give me a one-star review, that sounds lovely :)

oh, then I'm afraid I can't do it. I don't think your story is 1 star tier.

Last edited:

ProjCRys

Since top 5 threads in this section are various people forum regulars offering warranted feedbacks, I thought I should jump on bandwagon too and offer my expert analysis for any budding novelist(to crush their hopes and help them find a better hobby, of course!)

I will read one chapter of your story. I will tell you what I liked or disliked about the story, and point out flaws in grammar if I find any.

Sounds good, eh? Eh?

Oh, and mind that I am just a human (though I am working on my eventual ascension to daemonhood) so I have my own biases and preferences, and nothing I say is ever gonna be 100% objective.
Halo~
Can you give me your honest opinions and what things I should improve in my novel?

Masako's Life In An Abandoned World

Maldon

I always like some feedback.

D

Deleted member 93348

I don’t got a novel yet (probably in the next three months, or even a year), but I do have a synopsis in the works. I wonder if this will hook readers enough. The novel will still be called “World Story”:
Once upon a time, there lived a king and queen happily ever after with their loving princess. So this isn’t their story by a long shot. But one day, Hokori, Farkas, and Paulie trashed their old home after a night of swimming in booze. Hokori knocked a tapestry above the TV, and they fell in love with its tale. The magical world of Parallaxis had every trope in the book, so why waste time on more ale?

The Chaos Troika parted ways with a blood pact for the next two years, and “Peerless Champion” Hokori set his eyes on jumpstarting a new tale alongside his other siblings. Farkas and Paulie went where only the gods knew—because this isn’t their story either.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADpt

Me, wanna get feedback~
Seriously, someone just rated 5 stars at my work even though I'm not sure if it's good or not. Lol.

Anyway, here's mine.

Storiesbyblacksheep

The description is pretty cool, tho a bit vague. Still, it tells me just enough about what the story is gonna be about(action fantasy?) that I might just read it. Vibes of anti-hero mc, perhaps some kind of large war?

Then the chapter begins with mc talking to his mother. I wasn't sure how old he's supposed to be, but based on his language and behavior I'd say no more than 5 year old. There is no way he wouldn't realize he's hurting his mother with his dream otherwise, and wouldn't come to her for "reassurance" in the first place if he was older.

Then the training combat scene starts, and he's suddenly acting like a teenager? Was there a 10 year time skip or something? Well, whatever.
The action scene was pretty messy, consider this sentence:

My confidence was riding high after consecutive perfect evasions, I was circling around Emilia, slowly making my way back towards her and soon, I might be able to strike at her.

Could be divided into several smaller ones easily.

Then chapter ends, and there's not much there that would make me click on the next one. We have adopted mc who's either extremely socially inept or callous(so not very likable) and two other seemingly major characters introduced, his mother and emilia. We have his quest for becoming a knight, but that we already knew from synopsis. There are bits and pieces about setting mentioned in a dialog, but not much enough for us to know or even picture what kinda place the action is happening in, or what.

So in other words, after reading synopsis and one chapter, the reader(me!) has three elements:
1. Cover and synopsis, action rebellion anti-hero awooga awooga
2. MC's dream and past, mystery and family drama
3. Action packed training scene with friends

And these 3 elements kinda don't flow. Like pieces of a puzzle that don't fit. After getting reader interested in mc's past, it would be better to capitalize on that and continue that plot line, and start with training scene in chapter 2. Or some other chapter later. Or start with training, and only reveal that mc is adopted later....

The first-person prose is done rather crudely, too. Especially the dream/flashback part. Surely there was a better way to tell this story than just writing it normally in first person pov like the rest of the book? Also, I'm not sure what kinda first-person pov it is. It kinda reads like present tense poc, except it's in past tense and the protag sometimes knows things that didn't happen yet. But then, it's not fully committed to past tense to feel like the mc is telling his story from the pov of future.

oh, then I'm afraid I can't do it. I don't think your story is 1 star tier.
Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate that you were very detailed and gave specific reasons why you didn’t enjoy your experience reading. I’ll use this feedback to improve in the future.

Nhatduongg

Yuyuko Saigyouji, The Dreaming Ghost
I'm going to have a field day exploiting this kind of thread so here goes my practice novel.

D

Deleted member 93348

Sounds good, eh? Eh?

Greetings again! I don’t even know if SakeVision even checks this thread anymore, lol. But anyway, I finally got my first chapter done on Google Docs. It was a prologue at first until I got some feedback with my friends, so I decided to emphasize the protagonist instead of going on a tangent info dump mess. Please let me know what you think, and thank you!

World Story 2.0 draft

CKJ5

I'd be interested to hear what you think!

Storm_0907

Sounds good, eh? Eh?

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT https://www.scribblehub.com/read/556055-twilight-memories/chapter/556057/

RainingSky

Coffee lover (addict)
Well, well, another feedback threat to haunt.

Thanks in advance for whatever opinion you may have.