I'm a Noob with Gear Acquisition Syndrome

• Thread starter Deleted member 53101
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 53101

Hello, there.
Let's skip the introduction as I want to make this thread straight to the core.

I am a complete noob when it comes to drawing. I thought it was because I don't have good drawing gear with me, so I bought a lot of drawing tools which become ... unused. I have a sketchbook but I still can't draw better ..., I dreamt of having a tablet so I can draw digitally. In February this year, my brother sent me a Wacom Intuos as a birthday gift, realizing my longtime wish. But my drawing still looks like shit. And now, I'm dreaming of having a display tablet.

Thus, I want to ask. How could you improve your drawing ... with whatever tools you have?

I don't want 'practice more' as an answer. I know that's the answer, but how ..., I want to know, how can I do that? How do you practice so your drawing got better?

Hathnuz

Just like learning any skill, you should start with the basics first, for example: drawing lines and shapes. Then, you move on to more advanced techniques such as sketching and shading. Keep going until you've mastered all the cores. You don't need expensive equipment to learn all of those. Literally a pencil and a paper are enough.

Also, you can find tutorials in the internet and ask people for opinions to help you even more.

Agentt

Thighs
Hello, there.

I am a complete noob when it comes to drawing. I thought it was because I don't have good drawing gear with me, so I bought a lot of drawing tools which become ... unused. I have a sketchbook but I still can't draw better ..., I dreamt of having a tablet so I can draw digitally. In February this year, my brother sent me a Wacom Intuos as a birthday gift, realizing my longtime wish. But my drawing still looks like shit. And now, I'm dreaming of having a display tablet.

Thus, I want to ask. How could you improve your drawing ... with whatever tools you have?

I don't want 'practice more' as an answer. I know that's the answer, but how ..., I want to know, how can I do that? How do you practice so your drawing got better?
Ah, well. I was like you a bit ago. Thought all people say practise without giving any tips. But it really is practice!
But still, here are some tips.
1. Try to draw from your non dominant hand for a bit. For some mysterious reason, it works.

2. Realise that things don't have to be perfect. This is more of a motivation thingy than a tip. Let's say you want to make a horse, and have a clear image in mind. Your brain tells your hand to draw a straight line from 1.2748, 3.38292 to 7, 5. Your hand cannot do that and that causes rage quit.

3. Explore and discover your weakness. I, for one, cannot draw humans. Nope, not even remotely. Solution? Draw them with a different style. There are some sharp styles which do not allow curves, some soft styles which do not have straight lines. While drawing anime girls, I prefer them to have realistic eyes instead of huge ones. The main benefit of self teaching is that you have lots of space and time to discover yourself.

Ruriha

Well-known Procrastinator
For starters, how about by practicing? You said it yourself, a lot of drawing tools you've bought went unused. I think it should be noted that you don't magically improve just by having the right equipment. The process only begins by adapting to what you have, then by imitating references or perhaps by following tutorials - you'll gradually hone your own skills bit by bit. Before long, you're going to start asking yourself the same questions like how can I do this, what could I improve, or does this look sufficient? That's when you derive an answer by pondering it retroactively and apply it later on. However, you can only do that if you practice consistently.

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
Simple. Don't use the internet. What comes next is the boredom that can be filled up by drawing...

On another note,
Try drawing right now without any reference... Did you draw it now? You think that's perfect? Of course not! You wouldn't be in this thread if you do. All you need to do now is to 'identify' the wrong parts. After that, keep drawing the same drawing with the improved changes. This would be more effective the less reliant you are to references...

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
Read hentai.

I'm kidding, what do you want to draw tho?

PS: Here are my drawings (https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/degen-truck-kun-200-iq-delivery-move.4905/) , and I use a <60$ tablet. I don't see how a more expensive tablet would help me tbh. Don't let ads get into your head, expensive tools aren't necessary to improve.

If you absolutely have to look outwards to improve, try buying online courses rather than tools

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 53101

I'm kidding, what do you want to draw tho?
Something like ...
SharedScreenshot.jpg

owotrucked

Isekai express delivery
If you want to go drawing style take a look at David Finch channel on youtube.

If you want to go full realism you have to paint. I recommend focusing your training on one thing at a time.

For instance, anatomy first (over perspective), body proportion (over shapes), upper torso (over glutes) 👀

Break down the skills and research what's other people's solutions

Well if you want to paint you better start by painting cubes and cylinders in greyscale

Edit: just like in 3d modeling you can break painting into creating a 3d mesh and rendering its interaction with light.

Perspective and anatomy tell you how to put your mesh in space.

Greyscale training tell you where the light hit and reflects and where the shadows are.

Last edited:

yunano34a1

Just like how we learn playing games, the same can be applied through drawings. We fail a bunch of times, explore what we can do, apply what we learned, and fight bosses (our drawing weaknesses such as drawing hands). Don't forget tools are just aids. Everything all comes to whether you are determined to improve with your skills

I advise you should start with what is comfortable for you. It could be drawing eyes or anime hairstyles. It could be anything. Just believe in yourself and don't give up

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Nay, I never bought any book about drawing or anything like that.
I haven't either, but that book came highly recommended from the IRL version of "Marc" from my story.
My husband mentioned he wanted to draw several times, so I got him another book that "Marc" recommended, but he hasn't touched it, so I saved this one in my Amazon cart but didn't buy it. If he ever goes through the first book I bought him, I might get that one for him. The one I got first was about nature drawing.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Just like learning any skill, you should start with the basics first, for example: drawing lines and shapes. Then, you move on to more advanced techniques such as sketching and shading. Keep going until you've mastered all the cores. You don't need expensive equipment to learn all of those. Literally a pencil and a paper are enough.

Also, you can find tutorials in the internet and ask people for opinions to help you even more.
Don't forget curves!
Hello, there.

Learn from Jordan Grimmer and Noah Bradley for landscape/enviroment art and for people or animals there is a variety to pick from, try kienan lafferty-(knkl) first, he does a back to the basics videos tutorials and Ethan Becker/ Michael Mattesi.

Last edited:

skillet

a frying pan
uhhh maybe find a lot of references for what kind of art style you want to draw, then trying to draw them out yourself? ***No uploading it elsewhere as yours, of course, but sometimes when you draw it for yourself, you notice a lot of different things.

Also, croquis seems to be what a lot of people say will improve your drawing skills. I'm probably spelling it wrong.
and doodle-- I honestly think if you think of practicing as practicing, it'll just feel like a pain. sooo doodle all you want, but also keep an eye out for artists you like and look at what they do.
Since we're talking tools, a good drawing program will be beneficial too! Krita is free, btw. If you haven't bought yet, Clip Studio has sales from time to time, so recommend waiting until they have another sale before you buy it. (IF you buy it.) The good thing about digital is that you can try a lot of different things primarily without getting a bunch of new material every single time-- i.e. with paints for new colors or at styles. So yeahh, if you don't want to practice, just explore and let yourself naturally get better over time! :D

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
Hello, there.

Good references, getting knowledge about anatomy/textures/drawing techniques, and training your eyes to recognize structures/crack points at how to draw something.

Start small, do not try to make a full cover illustration right from the start. I remember drawing folds for an entire hour only to be able to make them recognizable as such.

Pinterest is your goldmine for free references. Youtube tutorials could help you, but rather than doing everything step for step like they tell you, you watch it to pick up some tricks you can use for your art.

Tracing for practice purposes are not wrong. Don’t be arrogant and forgo guidelines/tracing. It saves you time. But don’t stupidly copy without using your head though, think about why the reference looks like it does. (Recognize foreshortening, perspective, anatomy, lightning)

Follow other artists and be a copycat.

Better art supplies are like good ingredients; they can make a dish better, but if the cook can’t cook, the result will still be just so-so.

Last edited:

BubbleC

Floating Idiot
Watch this: What to focus on to improve drawing skills fast

For any artist but noobs especially, references are critical. Your brain and hands aren't trained enough to reproduce things from life. Ever tried drawing a bicycle from imagination? That normally doesn't go well, so imagine how difficult it is to draw people or entire sceneries without reference. So, do studies. Study the human body, anatomy, color, form, etc.

But likewise, everything in life is about balance. Don't fall into the trap of only doing sketches and studies. Do some original works and finish them. This will teach you compositional skills and round out everything you've learned.

And finally, persist. Keep drawing and when you get bored/tired/stuck, watch videos about drawing. Look up cool artists and works and get inspiration from them. It's okay to take breaks. As a beginner, you don't have to draw every day to get better. The most important thing is learning your weaknesses and fixing them with the basics you learn (color, form, gesture, form, perspective, etc.).

Last edited:

COLOC_Kid

morphing-state
draw a scribbly line and make a character with that give them a story. then draw their friends,siblings, and enemies with another scribbly line, then give those characters a story. finally try your best to add as much detail as possible (without overfilling) to the rough sketches like give them cheekbones, some wrinkles, curves, or give them a scar. finally look at your creation and fall deeply in love, only and only then do you go to youtube and find a way to draw them better.

D

Deleted member 53101

finally look at your creation and fall deeply in love,
This is not possible ... how am I supposed to love my drawing when it looks so cringe? Alright, I suppose every incomplete sketch will look cringe, or at least, my sketch.

only and only then do you go to youtube and find a way to draw them better.
I think I've done this since a long time ago.

Maybe I just need 'prak tesmor' ...

AKnightWithaKnife

Just draw when your bored or have something in your mind. I improved my own drawing by just drawing a hand over and over again. Now I’m transitioning to digital art and my art work has take a turn for the worst. just keep drawing somthing your comfortable with and know how it should look so you can improve!