I'm curious which POV you guys enjoy the most as readers and writers

which POV you guys enjoy the most as readers and writers

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 54065

This has been thread before, but I'll answer.

It's more of a need for me. If I want to portray emotions and objectives of my characters, I go 1st Person POV.

If I want to focus on action, I go 3rd Person POV.

For short, a combination of 1st and 3rd person POVs.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I'm saying 3rd POV since I've found the most readable novels to be 3rd person. There are some great 1st person novels like Catcher in the Rye that I really enjoyed, but those types of novels aren't usually written today. When I read 1st person Japanese Light novels I find the main character and his train of thought annoying as hell so I usually drop and wait for anime.

3rd person usually has better pacing than having to read about all the mundane and boring thoughts of a make believe character. It's rare I find an interesting character to read in 1st person.

unknownking

your local shitposter
I'm saying 3rd POV since I've found the most readable novels to be 3rd person. There are some great 1st person novels like Catcher in the Rye that I really enjoyed, but those types of novels aren't usually written today. When I read 1st person Japanese Light novels I find the main character and his train of thought annoying as hell so I usually drop and wait for anime.

3rd person usually has better pacing than having to read about all the mundane and boring thoughts of a make believe character. It's rare I find an interesting character to read in 1st person.
I've been lately experimenting with first POV (in combination with nonlinear story telling. I know, bad combi, but I'm just experimenting for fun.) Is the problem with first POV that most writers overdo it, putting too much focus on the MC's thoughts?

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I've been lately experimenting with first POV (in combination with nonlinear story telling. I know, bad combi, but I'm just experimenting for fun.) Is the problem with first POV that most writers overdo it, putting too much focus on the MC's thoughts?
It's because most writers use too many filter words. If you know what filter words are. While filter words can be used to add personification to words they have to be used carefully and the speech pattern of the character has to be entertaining, otherwise you end up with boring first person narration.

Even if a lot of interesting things are going on.
I like that they don't kill people. They beat people to the point they wish they were dead.
Which is unrealistic. When I played Xenoblade Chronicles 2, it's always the bad guys who feel remorse and then kill themselves afterward. No wonder Japan has a problem with suicide rates.

J_Chemist

I enjoy third person, both in writing and reading. It allows for a more universal perspective, I think, and allows the author to delve into more characters and more detail than through first Person.

While there are outliers and novels I will read in first person, I can say that most of them would be better in third.

Bobple

For reading I enjoy both equally, each has their advantages and neither so great that it effects my opinion but it really depends on the story itself it uses those advantages.

For writing. ummmm. While I haven't posted any stories online yet (ONE DAY!), from my couple years of practise, I do find writing in 3rd person easier, but writing in first does help me in getting into a characters mind. I do like writing in both, but it does take like twice the amount of time to write in first.

zerogero

I like reading in second. I enjoy being told who I am and what I'm doing. It gives me a sense of purpose.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
I can read stories in 1st or 3rd person, but I find it easier to write in 3rd person. 3rd person is just more flexible and free for me to write in, b/c writing in 1st person makes me feel confined.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
For me first person makes it easier to put words onto the paper, but third makes writing the story as a whole easier.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Because this author writes in a combination of first and second person, and it is amazing: