In need of a quick feedback on an idea

Corty

Spaghetti Monster
Hello there!

General Kenobi. I was wondering where to put this topic but in the end, It landed here. If it is not the ideal place, sorry.

I'm in the middle of writing my current fantasy story, and the world the story is placed in has an established history, systems, etc. At least in my head, as I dislike info dumping at every chapter. I like writing in a way that things get introduced, and explained while the characters interact with them and with the world.

But I also noticed that some readers would conclude things and draw incorrect assumptions of future things that would be explained later. To avoid this, I had an idea to do a kind of "codex chapter" as an extra. Small, short chapters where I explain stuff, concepts, characters, beasts, whatever that comes to mind, in an in-story, historian/chronicler style. The "character" would only know things that an outsider would understand in the world to avoid possible spoilers related to the main characters.

I made a mock-up image that I would also include in the chapters:

The chapter would be written out then like a biography or some kind of codex page or index page or whatnot, that way the story would go forward unimpeded and I could explain in an extra chapter how the magic vending machine came to existence and who invented it in an extra chapter.

As an author/reader, does this sound to you valid or would it be annoying and break up the pace?

PS: I know I have a typo in the name at the bottom right corner compared to the front page of the book. I noticed it after uploading, will fix it if I post it in my story.

Last edited:

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
Yes, 100%. If there's anything I know that I and people love reading, it's stuff like codexes, wikis, glossaries. It's honestly one of the best ways to world build and gets both you and readers invested in the world. I remember combing through the entire S.T.A.L.K.E.R wiki loving the anomalies and the Zone, really wanting to dive deep into its world.

I'm in full support! If you think it'll hurt the pacing, then make a chapter 0 glossary dedicated to it. That idea it too good to throw away!

Corty

Spaghetti Monster
I'm in full support! If you think it'll hurt the pacing, then make a chapter 0 glossary dedicated to it. That idea it too good to throw away!
There is a ton of things that I could rumble on :blob_blank: I fear if I do a chapter 0 type it will be 10-20k words long in the end and scare away the people:blob_dizzy: But thanks, now I'm even more certain I should go forward with it :blob_joy: I may steal some ideas on how to organize it later from your mini-wiki if that is fine by you:blob_nom:

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
There is a ton of things that I could rumble on :blob_blank: I fear if I do a chapter 0 type it will be 10-20k words long in the end and scare away the people:blob_dizzy: But thanks, now I'm even more certain I should go forward with it :blob_joy: I may steal some ideas on how to organize it later from your mini-wiki if that is fine by you:blob_nom:
Please go ahead! I'd love to have a look at yours when it's done as well.

Nothing I like more than combing through wikis. Half of the things I read are on wikis anyway, like the Warhammer: 40K wiki or the SCP one. Endless things to look at!

LilRora

Mostly formless
Check out this story on Scribble: Celestial

I assume you want to do something like what the author of that story did? It's generally a very good and underappreciated idea, because it allows to do necessary exposition while avoiding exposition. It might be annoying if the codex chapters are very long, but if they are bite sized, then most people won't even notice. Just be careful not to put them in the middle of an important event, instead you can use them as a sort of interlude.

Another option is doing what The Witcher or that story do, so very short notes at the beginning of each chapter that give more information that you wouldn't give normally. I see you're probably going to go with the codex, but this is also an interesting option to consider.

Corty

Spaghetti Monster
It might be annoying if the codex chapters are very long, but if they are bite sized, then most people won't even notice.
They would be short ones, somewhere between 600 and 1200 words at most. I'm thinking of posting them with a title like: "Codex Entry: The Wyverns" or "Codex Entry: The Invention of Vending Machines" etc. then simply drop them with an author's notice at the top that it is skippable if someone does not interested in it.

Also, it would be written as if an in-story character would have written the codex and not come from the omniscient author's perspective. Plus also collect them into a glossary-type chapter inspired by Syringe's.

Knowing myself I would probably rant about it in the chapter itself if I put them there and that may annoy some readers who are there only for the story.

melchi

What is a custom title?
Some light novels put this in the start of the book along with a few images of the characters.

I've some some scribble hub novels that have a chapter 0 type thing on it that says don't read <spoilers> too. If the glossary section doesn't have enough space that is always an option.

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
I like the idea since it's established knowledge in your setting. I'd read those extra things, but people can always skip them if they don't. I hope writing your new story is fun. :blob_paint:

Corty

Spaghetti Monster
I like the idea since it's established knowledge in your setting. I'd read those extra things, but people can always skip them if they don't. I hope writing your new story is fun. :blob_paint:
Thank you~ It is fun~! Went ahead and did the codex-like chapter, now I just need to see how it performs. Will do a few more and if the reception is good enough I'll keep doing it~ :blob_paint: