In the Real World . . .

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
You know how some teachers and other elderly people talk about the "real world" in a condescending way? I thought it was absolute BS when I was a kid, and now I'm over 30, and I still think it's BS to invalidate the experiences of younger people in that way. Call it the "adult world" if you must. "My world" would be more appropriate, as not all adults have the same experience of the world.

I want to see your comebacks to someone who makes a lame-ass statement about the "real world." Bonus points if you meme them!

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." (Fallacy and derogatory)

I love Nurse teachers/professors. They practice what they preach, and I have so much respect for them.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 54065

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach."

The only exception are Nurse teachers/professors. They practice what they preach, and I have so much respect for them.
I write novels, and I draw illustrations. I am also a licensed teacher of language and literature in my country.

Whoever quoted that statement is an idiot.

D

Deleted member 54065

It's a fallacy and really derogatory to use as well. But it can be used as a snarky comeback (I do not approve of it).
True. I've encountered people who use that to look down on us and our efforts.

They apparently forgot that a lot of 'technical courses' have teachers/trainers who are into that skill/job/industry they're trying to learn. Or in academics, not all teachers work just for the money (or forced into work because of it).

No wonder the state of education in our country is a mess.

Besides, Roger Ebert is a respected critic, but he didn't become a teacher of filmmaking 🤣😂

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I actually think it's applicable in a lot of situations such as "in the real world you'll have to deal with new problems you were never prepared for, like taxes and figuring out how to survive on a small budget." Sadly, a lot of people misuse "in the real world" statements because they assume that people haven't experienced these things and downplay their experiences due to their age. It would be better if they used different words such as in the future or adult world but it will still have the same problems because all of these saying downplay experiences due to age. That said, I would wholeheartedly agree that there were a lot of things that I and other people my age did or believed that we can no longer do or realized after becoming an adult and joining "the real world" or "adult world."

K5Rakitan

that there were a lot of things that I and other people my age did or believed that we can no longer do or realized after becoming an adult and joining "the real world" or "adult world."
I can agree with that to a certain extent, but adults who are speaking the truth in order to be helpful to someone younger tend to choose their words more carefully.

Most "real world" statements I've heard from people have been about things that they could have done differently if they really wanted to, but they present the facts of their current lives as an inevitability instead of owning the choices they made or admitting their regrets. Adults who talk that way are merely complaining, using younger people as an outlet for their frustrations.
"in the real world you'll have to deal with new problems you were never prepared for, like taxes and figuring out how to survive on a small budget."
It's rude for an adult to make such a statement without offering to help prepare the child for such things. Children encounter new problems just like anyone else. They ask for help when they feel frustrated or afraid, and adults also ask for help when they feel overwhelmed. Some adults pay other people to do their taxes, while some sit down at a computer with Mom and go through TurboTax® together.

D

Deleted member 54065

I can agree with that to a certain extent, but adults who are speaking the truth in order to be helpful to someone younger tend to choose their words more carefully.
I can attest to this. If ever a student comes to me for advice, I'm careful with my words.

Truthful, but still mindful. I want him/her to learn, not to turn away from what I say.
Most "real world" statements I've heard from people have been about things that they could have done differently if they really wanted to, but they present the facts of their current lives as an inevitability instead of owning the choices they made or admitting their regrets. Adults who talk that way are merely complaining, using younger people as an outlet for their frustrations.
I believe this is not just limited to adults. Even younger peeps tend to be dismissive and eager to prove to adults that their 'ways and beliefs' are better than the older peeps.

I mean, yes, there are concepts and situations where it can be applied, but they (adults and youngsters) can be kind with their words.

Harsh statements--even if they are useful--gets thrown out often. No one wants to be rubbished, except the masochists, maybe?

It's rude for an adult to make such a statement without offering to help prepare the child for such things. Children encounter new problems just like anyone else. They ask for help when they feel frustrated or afraid, and adults also ask for help when they feel overwhelmed. Some adults pay other people to do their taxes, while some sit down at a computer with Mom and go through TurboTax® together.
One thing that I think everyone has to learn is that, every guy/gal out there has a different take and different experience on their lives.

Problem with most adults is that they often go 'one size fits all' belief; like "I did this and it worked for me! Why can't you make it work?"

Problem with most youngsters is that they feel superior in every aspect, compared to 'boomers'.

Solution? Be open with people. But yeah, it might be hard on others.

K5Rakitan

I believe this is not just limited to adults. Even younger peeps tend to be dismissive and eager to prove to adults that their 'ways and beliefs' are better than the older peeps.

Problem with most youngsters is that they feel superior in every aspect, compared to 'boomers'.
While that behavior may be biologically ingrained to a certain extent, the more kids see it, the more likely they are to imitate it. Furthermore, adults tend to mock youngsters when they see their own superiority complex being poorly imitated.

D

Deleted member 54065

While that behavior may be biologically ingrained to a certain extent, the more kids see it, the more likely they are to imitate it. Furthermore, adults tend to mock youngsters when they see their own superiority complex being poorly imitated.
True. It's a cycle.

Unless one is not aware of it, it's difficult to change. And young peeps tend to pick those up, who grow up into same adults they hated.

Omnifarious

The Synaptic Nebula
I want to see your comebacks to someone who makes a lame-ass statement about the "real world.
How about...:blob_hmm_two::blob_hmm_two::blob_hmm_two::blob_hmm_two:
In the real world, you have to wear a suit and tie to work.
the Real world? Like in the 90s? like when the world was still full of outdated ideas?
and like... use to use "like" a lot? Like that?

Last edited:
I'm not really sure if what they call the real world is actually real. How can they prove that we're not living in a simulation?

Sometimes I do believe that my real self is a thousand year old nine tailed loli fox and everything's just a part of my dream.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Not exactly the same thing that you all are talking about, but I've seen people use "real world" as a way of denying the validity of people's online experiences. As if those experiences weren't real, or if the bonds created online weren't meaningful.

And it's just sad that to me... They don't realize that every online interaction is done with someone else on the other side of the screen. That talking to people is still talking to people, regardless of it being on a forum or on a park.

Of course there are differences, but that doesn't make online interactions meaningless... But I guess you only realize this kind of thing if you allow yourself to actively interact with other people online. Getting to know people and letting them get to know you... Which many people are not only not willing to do (which is fine), but also don't believe it is actually possible (which is sad).

D

Deleted member 54065

The problem with everyone's 'real world' is that it varies according to one's set of beliefs, culture, experience and perspective.

Like how we Christians (other religions too) believe there's a God, while irreligious people don't believe in a deity.

I guess one of the negative aspects of human nature is that, most would seek to verify his/her beliefs are the best by thrashing others. For most adults, their dialogue will always be "I went through that shit when I was your age, so I'm better than you."

For younger peeps, it's the "It's fucking modern age now; your beliefs are a thing of the past. Mine is better, so fuck off boomer!"

So yeah, I guess it won't kill someone to be kind and understanding, teacher or not. Don't invalidate someone else's problems just because you have gone through it yourself.

K5Rakitan

Not exactly the same thing that you all are talking about, but I've seen people use "real world" as a way of denying the validity of people's online experiences. As if those experiences weren't real, or if the bonds created online weren't meaningful.

And it's just sad that to me... They don't realize that every online interaction is done with someone else on the other side of the screen. That talking to people is still talking to people, regardless of it being on a forum or on a park.

Of course there are differences, but that doesn't make online interactions meaningless... But I guess you only realize this kind of thing if you allow yourself to actively interact with other people online. Getting to know people and letting them get to know you... Which many people are not only not willing to do (which is fine), but also don't believe it is actually possible (which is sad).
Indeed, and sometimes you wind up with a maid of honor from Wales flying all the way to California all because of your online interactions.

I find that we can jump into deeper conversations with people online because we don't have so many barriers in the way. We can take more time to choose our words. If we're in a rush to get somewhere else, we can easily come back to the conversation at a later time.

RavenRunes

Filth Wizard
'Meanwhile, back in the real world...'.....usually used when a conversation about how things could be done better is about to be wound up. Meaning, it's unlikely we'd ever see the changes we want to.
Or when my son wants a new Lego set 3 days before pay day and hasn't grasped that money doesn't appear at the wave of mummy's magic wand.