Writing Including an epilogue for a short story.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
I’m approaching the completion of a short story I’ve written. The story includes a bit of world building in the first part, but the story ends abruptly and an underlying conflict included in the world building never sees a conclusion.

I’m torn because I like the idea of the abrupt ending with many things that aren’t the main focus of the story left unanswered. However I don’t know if that would be unsatisfactory to a reader.

Do you think a short story needs an epilogue? Especially in the circumstances listed above.

IDKWtWrite-San

Projecting 'Unreliable Narrator' Tag
Depends bro but in all matter the answer is no, it's either you make one or not. Rather than an epilogue, it should be called the final chapter.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
For some more context, the story is based during a civil war. So I have taken time to establish the factions. The story however (currently at least) ends with the main character’s death. The things that are left unanswered isn’t the focus of the story mostly just politics, I don’t even know if people care about that stuff.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Theoretically a funeral with some random gossip would still be focused on the MC, while tying up any loose ends. And giving a chance to finalize the themes of the story.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
For some more context, the story is based during a civil war. So I have taken time to establish the factions. The story however (currently at least) ends with the main character’s death. The things that are left unanswered isn’t the focus of the story mostly just politics, I don’t even know if people care about that stuff.
If your story ends with the death of the PoV character, then you can just leave it as is. If you have one or more PoV characters alive you could just pull a "It has been X years since THAT happened. The world is now at peace/total chaos. This and that happened and people live in peace/fear of their lives/giant jelly donuts because why not."

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
It’s written in third person limited so I do have some wiggle room with that kind of stuff.

I’m approaching the completion of a short story I’ve written. The story includes a bit of world building in the first part, but the story ends abruptly and an underlying conflict included in the world building never sees a conclusion.

I’m torn because I like the idea of the abrupt ending with many things that aren’t the main focus of the story left unanswered. However I don’t know if that would be unsatisfactory to a reader.

Do you think a short story needs an epilogue? Especially in the circumstances listed above.
Weird link, but in photography, there is a concept of the tension of the incomplete. A photo of four things will rarely be as appealing as three, because our brains pair up even numbers and consider them ordered, whereas three things seem somehow unfinished. That creates interest, mystery, intrigue, even if only for a moment.

If you like the idea of smashing to black, go for it! Some people will hate it, but others will dwell on the intrigue of the incomplete.