Inkarnate (Free) is a great map-making app!

• Thread starter Deleted member 29316
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29316

After Frostbird's thread about creating a map, I tried one of the programs he mentioned, which is Inkarnate (Free License). It's a great way to pass time, when my electricity and internet are currently out (I'm using mobile data because of the recent typhoon). Here are the results (with a little help from Photoshop, particularly the Sepia filter)...

Chersea's Map (Arc 1)
Chersea (Web).jpg

Cherwind's Map (Arc 2)
Cherwind (Web).jpg

I'm aware of the 'jagged' edges of Chersea's map. This is because, I'm late to discover that I can use a circular brush :sweating_profusely: :blob_no: :blob_teary:

Last edited by a moderator:

ArcanePunkster

Personally, I thought jagged edges made it look better overall, regardless they do look well-made considering most are hand-drawn by the authors instead of being created through a program or app.

D

Deleted member 29316

Personally, I thought jagged edges made it look better overall, regardless they do look well-made considering most are hand-drawn by the authors instead of being created through a program or app.
Well, my initial maps are hand-drawn too. It's only now that I discovered Inkarnate.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
is there a sci-fi or at least a modern day setting to these maps? if so, I might consider using it

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
After Frostbird's thread about creating a map, I tried one of the programs he mentioned, which is Inkarnate (Free License). It's a great way to pass time, when my electricity and internet are currently out (I'm using mobile data because of the recent typhoon). Here are the results (with a little help from Photoshop, particularly the Sepia filter)...

Chersea's Map (Arc 1)
View attachment 4652

Cherwind's Map (Arc 2)
View attachment 4653

I'm aware of the 'jagged' edges of Chersea's map. This is because, I'm late to discover that I can use a circular brush :sweating_profusely: :blob_no: :blob_teary:

Thx, I will use it to make a map in the future. Maps need the people.

Monk_Origins

Well, let me be a little shameless and post 2 maps I have done with Inkarnate. Perhaps it will give fellows some sense of what else they can do.

First one turned out great (within my humble abilities), since I wanted it to be realistic. I decided to factor in wheather pattern and plate tectonics, placing the forests, lakes and mountains how they could be real in our world.
Second map is made by a system in jiffy for short human tutorial, so all the rules of nature went out of the metaphorical window.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

Well, let me be a little shameless and post 2 maps I have done with Inkarnate. Perhaps it will give fellows some sense of what else they can do.

First one turned out great (within my humble abilities), since I wanted it to be realistic. I decided to factor in wheather pattern and plate tectonics, placing the forests, lakes and mountains how they could be real in our world.
Second map is made by a system in jiffy for short human tutorial, so all the rules of nature went out of the metaphorical window.
These are cool maps. 😁
Thx, I will use it to make a map in the future. Maps need the people.
It's pretty easy to use too!

Monk_Origins

@HansTrondheim If I were to larp as a real fantasy map maker for a moment, I would be screaming "RIVERS DON'T SPLIT, ONLY MERGE! (with the exception of river deltas)", but I won't.
Lovely work m8, if it conveys the world you wanted to build, its perfect!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

@HansTrondheim If I were to larp as a real fantasy map maker for a moment, I would be screaming "RIVERS DON'T SPLIT, ONLY MERGE! (with the exception of river deltas)", but I won't.
Lovely work m8, if it conveys the world you wanted to build, so its perfect!
I forgot to put the forests (trees) though...I'm editing it right now.

Monk_Origins

@HansTrondheim Awesome. If I were you, I would also add couple lone trees to gaps, so it doesn't feel as empty. But everyone has his own style.
I also added grid to my first map, so I can tell the relative distance between cities in a glance. Since it was a realistic fantasy, it had to be done.

D

Deleted member 29316

@HansTrondheim Awesome. If I were you, I would also add couple lone trees to gaps, so it doesn't feel as empty. But everyone has his own style.
Hmm...well, I guess that's fine now (though I wanted to). Those trees represent the forests in my world. (But really, my phone's about to run out of juice because we're out of electricity) :blob_teary: :sweating_profusely:

Monk_Origins

Hmm...well, I guess that's fine now (though I wanted to). Those trees represent the forests in my world. (But really, my phone's about to run out of juice because we're out of electricity) :blob_teary: :sweating_profusely:
Is it bad? I would expect folks/building managers to get generators if it was a common occurrence... Lives in danger?
Edit: just read news... 16 dead thousands homeless.. Are you OK?

D

Deleted member 29316

Is it bad? I would expect folks/building managers to get generators if it was a common occurrence... Lives in danger?
Edit: just read news... 16 dead thousands homeless.. Are you OK?
Well, it's a miracle our house was able to withstand those winds. I mean, it felt like we're about to die. Good thing is, we're only out of power (electricity is intermittent)...with some of our neighbors' houses with missing roof. The internet is down as well, and I can only communicate through mobile data.

We're afraid that 16 dead isn't the final number. One of our provinces (Catanduanes) was literally cut-off from outside help. My province is in state of calamity.

I'm using my phone for drawing and writing as of the moment. I guess if I couldn't find a source of power later, I'd be out 'till the next day.

By the way, generators isn't that widespread here. We just make do with candles and LED lights, and mobile data.

Monk_Origins

Well, it's a miracle our house was able to withstand those winds. I mean, it felt like we're about to die. Good thing is, we're only out of power (electricity is intermittent)...with some of our neighbors' houses with missing roof. The internet is down as well, and I can only communicate through mobile data.

We're afraid that 16 dead isn't the final number. One of our provinces (Catanduanes) was literally cut-off from outside help. My province is in state of calamity.

I'm using my phone for drawing and writing as of the moment. I guess if I couldn't find a source of power later, I'd be out 'till the next day.
I wish you strength. I just saw pictures from Catanduanes, and its ugly times for sure. I have lived through quite a few power outages in my life (ex-soviet republic, stuff happens), but none look as bad as your situation. Just don't forget to also charge up all laptops and power banks for extra juice. Also, you might want to switch off the circuit break until you confirm there is electricity. A sudden unstable charge can fry most of the electronics/lightbulbs... It did happen to me once...
One last thing, don't forget you are a big part of this community; you can rely on these hiatus masters like us if there is an emergency. :)

D

Deleted member 29316

I wish you strength. I just saw pictures from Catanduanes, and its ugly times for sure. I have lived through quite a few power outages in my life (ex-soviet republic, stuff happens), but none look as bad as your situation. Just don't forget to also charge up all laptops and power banks for extra juice. Also, you might want to switch off the circuit break until you confirm there is electricity. A sudden unstable charge can fry most of the electronics/lightbulbs... It did happen to me once...
One last thing, don't forget you are a big part of this community; you can rely on these hiatus masters like us if there is an emergency. :)
Thanks for that! I didn't know you guys think of me that way. :blob_aww:

In any case, yep, we're doing the charging whenever there's electricity (earlier in the morning, it goes off by afternoon). Once we're done with fixing our house, my brother and I will be setting off to volunteer for the relief efforts. :blob_melt:

Sabruness

Cultured Yuri Connoisseur
thoughts are with you slightly distant neighbours to the north-northwest. :blob_sir:

i've always thought about making maps for some of my stories, partly to help me visualize and plot things, but couldnt find anything good, free and relatively user friendly. This thread helps a bunch and the maps come out looking awesome.