Writing Prompt Insanity and Mental Illness

melbisbelbis

I’ve had various ideas on this concept for a while, but I’m just never too good on expanding on them.
The purpose of this writing prompt is to exercise ideas of internal struggles not against one’s emotions but rather one’s self in a way that isn’t very cliche (at least at the time of this post).

The basic concept is exactly what the title says- mental illness. This can come in many forms, based on the author’s preference. I’ve managed to generate some ideas, but they mainly revolve around the main character and their ability to control themself and their impulses.

The first idea I came up with was one of schizophrenia; of one or more voices inside the head of the protagonist that may flare up or quiet down at specific stimuli, or sometimes, even at random (plot convenience). These voices would attempt to persuade the protagonist into actions that they would not normally take without said persuasion. These could be the “protagonist wants to save everyone” idea in a different form. It could be criminal insanity. Murderous impulses. Anything, really. Though the idea I like the most would be the concept of giving the protagonist multiple voices telling them to do separate things. That could create some fun storylines.

The second idea I came up with was one of delusional disorder, in which they find that the world isn’t what they thought it was at first, or maybe even is trying to control, lie, or any combination of strange things that they believe the world is attempting to do, creating a permanent state of paranoia. Another concept along the lines of delusional disorder would be the distinct belief that they must do a specific action, follow a specific belief, et cetera. This one I found more open-ended and allows a lot of creative freedom.

Well, I don’t want to come up with ideas for all of the authors out there, so go wild with it! I want to see some crazy ideas.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice was a game that followed both of those tropes. And they kinda are tropes. I've seen both of them multiple times as plot devices, particularly on crime dramas like Criminal Minds, but also on SH.

Honestly, it's hard to write this kind of story while remaining genuine unless you have a particular interest in it, like if you or a friend actually have the mental illness in question.

The thing you can do instead, is to create a situation that symbolizes mental illness, that way both you and the reader can relate even if you don't actually have it. For your schizophrenia, you could literally have an angel and a demon sitting on your shoulder telling you what to do. For the second, having the gift of sight(what you see is irrelevant) would cause you to question whether what you're seeing is real, and even if it is, if everyone around you will think you're insane if you react to it.

Still, it's a bit of a touchy subject, so make sure you do your research thoroughly.

D

Deleted member 45782

Well I did thought of a story since at least a yr ago. But it was somewhere along the lines of depression. From a few times saw on college forum ppl looking for friends and couldn't make any and college life stuff, so was thinking about writing loneliness and the feels of being in the dumps when things just heaps onto the pile of a college life's stress.

Scared someone when said that story and asked how story seems if it was realistic or not; they thought it was me but that's not me -more like bits and traits feel slightly hearing of others and combine it all together to make characteristics of one and few characters. So bits and traces of stuff and then mix it in to make it into what thought of. Anyhow asked in forum about it, and stuff and realized maybe make mc not that yet, but kinda down sorta in dumps while another is (ofc that was after i decided maybe change the beginning scene a bit so what originally had in mind the mc was categorized under that; but for now still idk yet, have yet to really write it out).

CL

The first idea I came up with was one of schizophrenia; of one or more voices inside the head of the protagonist that may flare up or quiet down at specific stimuli, or sometimes, even at random (plot convenience). These voices would attempt to persuade the protagonist into actions that they would not normally take without said persuasion. These could be the “protagonist wants to save everyone” idea in a different form. It could be criminal insanity. Murderous impulses. Anything, really. Though the idea I like the most would be the concept of giving the protagonist multiple voices telling them to do separate things. That could create some fun storylines.
Why does this sound like my life? I never heard any voices, but those impulses are real. They are things I always question on how or why they're popping off in me as if I'm craving do commit uncharacteristic behavior. I have no reason for or, hell, sane explanation why I'd mull over these estranged thoughts. Whenever I'd have this urging to act, and I'd envision the scenario beforehand in my head, I would immediately wonder where these ideas are coming from. It has become a growing frustration. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with me? Please don't tell me that is what it means to be a schizo. :blob_no:

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
I got multiple cases for different mental illness but because I do not trade without any equivalent exchange, I only give three which is kinda basic for those who wanted to try out mental illnesses.

The two cases are already explained by you so i'll provide the last one.

Mental stability cases or those who are sane and have normal sense as people yet having a broader ideology of their own mentality. In which case, someone like those hannibal psychopaths who are not insane people but their mentality and sense is warped in a way that they don't follow the moral guideline.

Those that would skin, listen to their victim's scream and whatnot, these mental state is mostly depicted to be like those serial killers as they have this kind of mindset but in truth, probably like sociopath that their way of thinking is abnormal to a normal person.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Why does this sound like my life? I never heard any voices, but those impulses are real. They are things I always question on how or why they're popping off in me as if I'm craving do commit uncharacteristic behavior. I have no reason for or, hell, sane explanation why I'd mull over these estranged thoughts. Whenever I'd have this urging to act, and I'd envision the scenario beforehand in my head, I would immediately wonder where these ideas are coming from. It has become a growing frustration. Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with me? Please don't tell me that is what it means to be a schizo. :blob_no:
Iirc, intrusive thoughts are "normal". Everyone has them and they don't speak to your character. Stress, fatigue, tiredness, etc aka the usual suspects can of course be a factor that makes them pop up more often, but thinking "I wonder how long it'd take this baby to fall to the ground if I dropped them from the window", like, of course it sounds crazy in the moment, but it's really just quirks of the human brain that isn't good at filtering thoughts the way the human person owning that brain is. You're not unhealthy for having those thoughts, especially if you don't listen to them.

As for writing about mental illness in general, my biggest recommendation, as a mentally disabled person talking to (assumedly) neurotypical people: avoid negative stereotypes and ableist character tropes. The "evil" headmate, the "insane criminal", the "empathyless" autist, we're not saying there isn't some truth in fiction, but the dramatized vision of it that you probably have in your head from decades of cultural osmosis are not a good basis to write mentally disabled characters on, and the nuance that is found in the real life version of those stories is better told by the people that live them first hand. We don't need even more bad representation portraying us as destined to become thugs and prison fodder. We're not the Joker, and the Joker isn't us.
There's a lot of mentally disabled stories out there that just don't register as being about disabled people just because they're not miserable, and if you set out to write about the mentally disabled while only thinking about the stories where you could explicitly realize that's what it was about, well, you're gonna have a dangerously skewed perspective.

Instead, what I would recommend, if you are so inclined and interested, is to portray us in a sympathetic light. And I do mean sympathetic, not pitiable. We're people, with different (and quite honestly more, if you know you know) challenges ahead of us than the average person. But we still want to do great things, and we can still do great things. Being us isn't suffering, it isn't something to fear being. Hell, you might just be neurodivergent yourself and just have never been diagnosed. And I'm not saying that in a "this could happen to you" way, but in a "it's okay to be like this" way.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
The dictionary definition seems to be a withdrawal from reality leading to delusion. There's no mention of compulsive/impulsive behavior. Like Felicie said, some amount of impulsive thinking is normal. But if you're really worried about it, or if you feel driven to act on random thoughts, then you can talk to a doctor. Most likely they'll tell you you're overreacting and you can relax. Otherwise, you can take steps to help yourself. I came to the conclusion a while ago that literally everyone should see a therapist regularly, even if they're 'completely normal'. Just because nobody has an unbiased opinion of themselves. And it's nice to have someone you can talk to.

Reactions: CL

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Oh yeah gonna double down on that "see a therapist" advice. We live in... interesting (pejorative) times, don't underestimate how much everyone needs a bit of professional help.

(Sadly I'll also have to temper that advice by saying like 90% of therapists are garbo... as I said, interesting times. >_>)

Agentt

Thighs
Hahhh,
Writing on this topic is really, hard.

Not cuz it's physically difficult, but it puts a great strain on oneself.

The one in my signature, it has mental instability, and it was so sad to write it. I would get nausea and headaches. It was a terrible experience.

Same with one other author I know who wants to write on schizophrenia but gets depressed whenever he tries to

• Sad
Reactions: CL

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Just trowing my 69 cents

Psychopaths are neither insane nor misguided. They just don't have a moral compass and have difficulty relating to emotions because that's how their minds work. It's like the non-binary of morality, neither good nor evil. I recommend reading Rend here in SH (REND | Scribble Hub), the protagonist is a psychopath in a world with superpowers and crazy things like that. The author did a very good job of portraying the pragmatic mindset a psychopath has. Psychopaths are more prone to murder and being serial killers due to their lack of empathy and the 'absolute' nature of the self-imposed 'rules' they live with that replace the moral compass, a very commendable attempt at living in society.
Knowing this, we can discard Psychopathy as a mental illness or disorder, and treat it more as a permanent state of mind instead since it can't be treated or healed.

melbisbelbis

Psychopaths are neither insane nor misguided. They just don't have a moral compass and have difficulty relating to emotions because that's how their minds work. It's like the non-binary of morality, neither good nor evil. I recommend reading Rend here in SH (REND | Scribble Hub), the protagonist is a psychopath in a world with superpowers and crazy things like that. The author did a very good job of portraying the pragmatic mindset a psychopath has. Psychopaths are more prone to murder and being serial killers due to their lack of empathy and the 'absolute' nature of the self-imposed 'rules' they live with that replace the moral compass, a very commendable attempt at living in society.
Rend is one of my favorite Scribblehub stories, and I have frequented it for most of its lifetime so far. It also generated some inspiration for me.
Sociopathy and psychopathy are not impulses, delusions, or much else for that matter. They are simply a lack of development for social constructs in their mind about emotions, often pertaining to other people. That one can make some really great storylines with a different viewpoint, as the main character can much more easily look at things very objectively and without emotion.