Insight Please

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Aside from authoring I work as a game developer.
To date I have had a terrible time dealing with teammates, specifically artists.

As far as I can see, I haven't done anything that would cause these problems and I've tried pretty much everything possible to accommodate or make things work with my partners.

The frustrating part is that I keep meeting people like this.

It doesn't matter :
  • I pay what they ask.
  • Give specific instructions
  • Allow them to work freely.
  • Pay them more than they ask.
  • I am patient.
  • I am consistently working with them to produce constant results.
  • I've even tried offering payment + percent based profits from projects.
I'm sincerely beginning to think that this is perhaps a sign from the universe.

Ironically enough, I used to be an artist too. Back before digital art was a "thing". I've even considered just ignoring everyone else and honing my own skills at this point. That would be a 5-6 month process, maybe longer as I hone my skills back to where they need to be after years of rust and maybe even another 1-2 years before I can produce commercial quality content.

As a game developer it is immensely frustrating to watch projects tank or stagnate due to people who fail to communicate clearly or just have ego problems in general. It's given me a near irate level complex at this point.

What I would like is some insight:

I'm not looking for comments like " well maybe if you did *this common sense thing right here*".

I'd like to hear why, as an artist you have ghosted, left or quit jobs extended to you.

Perhaps by understanding things from a different perspective I can better come to terms with this.
Maybe they are just shitty people. Give them an ultimatum. Either they work like you want them to, or you cut them lose. Cuz you can hire other artists. You dont have to deal with such bullshit and I dunno why you put up with them till it got to this point

OneRanter

Southern Unorthodox MaskMaker
I told you why in the first part, and suggestions on how to fix it in the second part. I suppose you're the type that needs an example.

Not enough boundaries via concrete concepts and deadlines.

Concepts. If you just tell an artist to make a space elf, you can get a VAST variety of what that means from 40k, to Phantasy Star to Star Ocean. sex? gender? scifi gear? magic gear? buff? thin? light/dark skin tone? chill pose? in action? literally floating in space or on a space ship? concept character design? cover art? background npc? what art style? anime/modern/abstract/punk/etc age range? commoner or upper class? Civil or Military? . Psychology shows having 20+ choices caused people to blank out on choice and just didn't choose an item or went with the 1 they knew in markets. Where as if they have 3 to 5 choices they're more likely to experiment in trying the other choices, and almost always buying something. It's a similar case here.

You GOTTA spell out as much detail as you can, and you'll find artists have a lot easier time whipping something up.

deadlines. I've had artists literally say they just think till it's close to deadline then actually start working.
This Ranter is amazed! That's some next level patience right there!
*Thinks a bowing Ranter*
_/(u.u)\_

Unfortunately, it seems to This Ranter that your lines are wasted in this place.
*Shrugs a Sighing Ranter*
¯\(u.u)/¯

jabathehut

Resident Troll
Aside from authoring I work as a game developer.
To date I have had a terrible time dealing with teammates, specifically artists.

As far as I can see, I haven't done anything that would cause these problems and I've tried pretty much everything possible to accommodate or make things work with my partners.

The frustrating part is that I keep meeting people like this.

It doesn't matter :
  • I pay what they ask.
  • Give specific instructions
  • Allow them to work freely.
  • Pay them more than they ask.
  • I am patient.
  • I am consistently working with them to produce constant results.
  • I've even tried offering payment + percent based profits from projects.
I'm sincerely beginning to think that this is perhaps a sign from the universe.

Ironically enough, I used to be an artist too. Back before digital art was a "thing". I've even considered just ignoring everyone else and honing my own skills at this point. That would be a 5-6 month process, maybe longer as I hone my skills back to where they need to be after years of rust and maybe even another 1-2 years before I can produce commercial quality content.

As a game developer it is immensely frustrating to watch projects tank or stagnate due to people who fail to communicate clearly or just have ego problems in general. It's given me a near irate level complex at this point.

What I would like is some insight:

I'm not looking for comments like " well maybe if you did *this common sense thing right here*".

I'd like to hear why, as an artist you have ghosted, left or quit jobs extended to you.

Perhaps by understanding things from a different perspective I can better come to terms with this.
post excerpts of your communications

DreamOfRen

lol.
I went to sleep and woke up again only to find an advice column. Definitely not what I wanted.

I just wanted to hear from artists, not how to solve "problems".

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
lol.
I went to sleep and woke up again only to find an advice column. Definitely not what I wanted.

I just wanted to hear from artists, not how to solve "problems".
Then get the thread locked by a mod or just unwatch since there are already good reasons given by others that cover up most if not all reasons artists would abandon you.

Interesting to know would be what you commissioned and what you paid for it, but that's prolly just my curiosity.

DreamOfRen

Then get the thread locked by a mod or just unwatch since there are already good reasons given by others that cover up most if not all reasons artists would abandon you.

Interesting to know would be what you commissioned and what you paid for it, but that's prolly just my curiosity.
It would be great if all you passive aggressive artist types would stop telling me what to do and start telling me reasons behind fishy behavior.
:blob_cookie:

I'm starting to think it's just because many of them don't like following directions.
:blob_awkward:

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
It would be great if all you passive aggressive artist types would stop telling me what to do and start telling me reasons behind fishy behavior.

I'm starting to think it's just because many of them don't like following directions.
I've noticed a pattern with you and your threads. You give a scenario, and then somehow, someway, end up arguing/insulting/attacking people in your threads when you have a disagreement with them. Then, you put them blame on them THEM. And only THEM. Quite a few people have experienced it, me and several others I could name right now included.

Like I commented before, it seems pretty obvious to me why you lose help. You're not a particularly pleasant individual personality-wise.

Oh! But don't forget, it's everyone else's fault right? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
telling me reasons behind fishy behavior.
People already did and there is no need to repeat them. This is a writing site so asking for artist perspective is weird in the first place.

passive aggressive
I can be openly aggressive. But I refrained and was neutral and practical. ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭

You bashed people who gave you advice even though you can read out reasons why an artist would ghost you from them.

And commissioners like you who promise a lot of things sounds the most suspicious to me. I would continue to elaborate my opinion, but the ‘no advice rule’ doesn’t let me. (This is what i call passive aggressive.)

I’m out unwatching :blob_salute:

DreamOfRen

People already did and there is no need to repeat them. This is a writing site so asking for artist perspective is weird in the first place.

Everyone has different reasons. If you think the 6-7 answers here constitute a full catalog of reasons "why" that's just silly.

I can be openly aggressive. But I refrained and was neutral and practical. ╮ ( ̄ヮ  ̄) ╭

I don't care if you're openly aggressive. You'll get the same energy back that you direct towards me.
Try your luck.:s_wink:
You bashed people who gave you advice even though you can read out reasons why an artist would ghost you from them.
I didn't bash anyone.
I asked them to stay on topic.
so....stay on topic?
And commissioners like you who promise a lot of things sounds the most suspicious to me. I would continue to elaborate my opinion, but the ‘no advice rule’ doesn’t let me. (This is what i call passive aggressive.)

I’m out unwatching :blob_salute:

Thank you, much appreciated. And now we get to the root of the matter, you're just projecting. "Promise alot of things?" What would I have promised exactly. Do you even have an idea? That's what I meant by "passive aggressive". You clearly have issues or emotional trauma you're acting on.

I'm a bad person because I don't want to deal with *your* hang ups? K.

There's this idea that you have to be "fake cordial" to people. I don't subscribe to that. I'm very direct and that tends to hurt the feelings of folks who do shady things.

They find it mind boggling that a person can, indeed traverse life without lying or holding their hand every 2 seconds.

I'm not for everyone, and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

DreamOfRen

Also for the people who were wondering about the particular situation that inspired this post:
  • His style wasn't a match for the project. He knew this and applied anyway.
  • Rather than tell me that up front, he accepted the job and dilly dallied for nearly 2 weeks. Presumably while internally panicking.
So, essentially lack of communication on his part. To date I've been consistent with everything I've said I would do.

I don't make "promises" btw. :blob_awkward:

*whispers "who hurt you? *

Daitengu

I didn't ask for advice, nor am I interested in it.
You seem pretty keen to give it though.

Most of my post IS insight on artist troubles
But you ignore that and say you don't want advice, when I conclude the issues artists often have with solutions that have worked for those exact artists. This is how proper discussion works, lay out the issue, give examples, conclude with possible solutions.

Get over yourself and stop acting like all criticism and advice is targeting your tiny pp man pride. Nobody cares. This is the internet, you either get straight answers or you get trolled. And shooting down exactly what you're looking for, because a part at the end isn't, is just so black and white that you'll probably die a virgin unless you get some gold digger going along with everything you say.

Welp, you'll either learn, or you won't, not my problem. Kinda like you never learned discussion, debate, and speech structure in school.

Discount_Blade

But you ignore that and say you don't want advice, when I conclude the issues artists often have with solutions that have worked for those exact artists. This is how proper discussion works, lay out the issue, give examples, conclude with possible solutions.

Get over yourself and stop acting like all criticism and advice is targeting your tiny pp man pride. Nobody cares. This is the internet, you either get straight answers or you get trolled. And shooting down exactly what you're looking for, because a part at the end isn't, is just so black and white that you'll probably die a virgin unless you get some gold digger going along with everything you say.

Welp, you'll either learn, or you won't, not my problem. Kinda like you never learned discussion, debate, and speech structure in school.
Lol waste of breath. That tool doesn't get anything you say. With him, it's everybody else's fault. Oh well. Can't fix stupid. :shrugs:

Makes me wonder who hurt him? XDDDDD

I'm kinda curious. Ol' Renny boy likes to ask that one a lot. Seems appropriate that he answers it himself since it's a go-to of his.

Me doth think thee is projecting a tad bit yes me dear boy? @DreamOfRen

Last edited:

Daitengu

Lol waste of breath. That tool doesn't get anything you say. With him, it's everybody else's fault. Oh well. Can't fix stupid. :shrugs:

@DreamOfRen

Eh, I was on the crapper. Got nothing but free time to shit post when the occasion arises.

I've dealt with a lot of Karen's and compensating micropenis men irl. Neither take advice or criticism well. I've been on the net for 20 years. Emotionally reacting on the net to shit talk is considered losing. But I GOTTA live up to my name, thus my posts. Tengu try to help until it's time to shit talk.

DreamOfRen

Yes...because asking you to do completely reasonable and logical things constitutes butthurt.

I didn't ignore anything. I read it, and deemed that you didn't know what you were talking aboot.
For me to get over it, i would have to be invested in it to begin with.
I didn't ask for input. You offered it and I declined it.
I think perhaps the one with the wounded pride is you?

There was nothing to debate.
wut? lol

It's really weird how self proclaimed internet "trolls" will deem any reaction to their deviant behavior as another person being "triggered" -- even as they exhibit "snowflake" tendencies.

Did I hurt your feelings?
It seems like:
:sweating_profusely:
4qeegu.jpg

Daitengu

I didn't ignore anything. I read it, and deemed that you didn't know what you were talking aboot.

For me to get over it, i would have to be invested in it to begin with.
I didn't ask for input. You offered it and I declined it.
I think perhaps the one with the wounded pride is you?

There was nothing to debate.
wut? lol

I dunno how hard science and complaints I've received from musicians and artists and personal experience weren't worth a damn but suuuure~

Didn't ask for input huh.
*looks at thread title.* *looks at OP post* *looks at OP name*
Are you SURE about that?
Pride? what's that? is it tastey? I'm entirely in the lust and sloth camps.

Picked out the word debate, and discarded the meaning of the sentence entirely. mmm. I understand now. Your reading comprehension is shit or you're cherry picking words for a fallacious argument. Either way, you coulda done better. You're just showing your ignorance if the English language. I'm not mad, it's just sad how bad schools are. Real shame you couldn't discern from context that sentence structure of constructive critique, speech discussion, and debate are quite similar. Or you did, but fell into a fallacy pitfall that shoulda been taught how to avoid. Man, reminds me of high school, and that was 20 years ago.

In the words of two celebrities, "I pity da foo" and "I'm out, I got better things to do."

Discount_Blade

I dunno how hard science and complaints I've received from musicians and artists and personal experience weren't worth a damn but suuuure~

Didn't ask for input huh.
*looks at thread title.* *looks at OP post* *looks at OP name*
Are you SURE about that?
Pride? what's that? is it tastey? I'm entirely in the lust and sloth camps.

Picked out the word debate, and discarded the meaning of the sentence entirely. mmm. I understand now. Your reading comprehension is shit or you're cherry picking words for a fallacious argument. Either way, you coulda done better. You're just showing your ignorance if the English language. I'm not mad, it's just sad how bad schools are. Real shame you couldn't discern from context that sentence structure of constructive critique, speech discussion, and debate are quite similar. Or you did, but fell into a fallacy pitfall that shoulda been taught how to avoid. Man, reminds me of high school, and that was 20 years ago.

In the words of two celebrities, "I pity da foo" and "I'm out, I got better things to do."
Like I said. Can't fix stupid. Ol' Renny boy is doomed.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
Maybe because the artist isn't just passionate about what he/she drawing anymore?. Passion is a HUGE requirement when we doing something.