Insight Please

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
Here is a video on how to handle commission. Not just for the artists but for the commissioner as well.

Michuyu

As an artist who has had only a few (and non-commercial) art commissions, I know that it is easy to be discouraged or stressed because, at the beginning of the process, it feels like you have the right skillset and understanding of what a person wants, but halfway through, you realize that you still have a long way to go, or that you can't meet the expectations as well as you thought. At that point, you either be transparent about the issue or continue trying to work it out until the end. If you aren't doing one of those, you are most likely just ghosting and hoping that they will forget about you. (This is very bad, but it does happen from what I can see.) It really helps when my client is transparent with me as well, as to whether they are having second thoughts. I am always open to a refund if the project is not completed yet. I hope you have better luck with artists in the future! It's good that you also are interested in doing the artwork yourself. I think the more you can manage on your own the better anyway haha

Overlord

So if I'm reading this right-- past experiences may cause you to look at jobs with potential clients suspiciously? That's pretty common for most people I think. Definitely a struggle.

Not as an artist, but as a story writer. I was paid to ghostwrite a fanfic of a fandom that I have decent knowledge of way back.

However, the client also wanted to insert some weird (for me at least) fetishes in there, and wanting "easy" money, I complied.

It all started out well enough, but I just lost passion halfway through. I had a hard time writing the story arc, and it felt like hell trying to write the story while taking note of and inserting his "unique" points since those are really not stuff that I'm into. In the slightest.

The weekly submissions turned into two or three week submissions, and I honestly felt really bad for the guy. I felt that I was doing him dirty because of how nice he was, and he was extremely patient and accomodating to my schedule.

I did finish the fanfic eventually. Closed ending and all. Then promptly resigned. At the very least, I would never allow myself to leave him hanging after all he did for me.

Not sure how helpful or on-topic this is, but I hope this gave you some insights.
Where do you take story commisions?

DreamOfRen

Where do you take story commisions?
I don't anymore. Well.. sort of but not really. Lately I've just been getting a lot of random offers from various sources.
Before I was doing work on Fiverr, but I closed that account down--huge scam. They take 20% from both the provider and the purchaser. Also their clientele tends to be the sort who look for cheap work.