Interest Fishing?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Or something. I'm not sure what you would call this so I'll try and explain it as best as I can. I've seen it done on other sites in their forums but it went under different names, and both sites I was on that did this, both are no longer in usage so I couldn't possibly show you a visual example. One was bought out and all of its user's incorporated into wattpad and I can't be bothered to play the internal popularity politics that control who is and isn't successful there. (And anyone who says skill determines anything on wattpad either hasn't used it, is a flat out lying bastard, or simply naive.) Those that were good and popularly read, and also WEREN'T very social with many other users as well as multiple moderators, are exceptions on Wattpad, not the norm. The other site also died, and most of its people eventually migrated to getunderlined.....which is a weird place. Completely different from what those people migrated from but they liked it and I didn't so oh well. I fell out of the loop. A common theme on my part.

Anyway, it's where you post a chapter, (usually chapter one, or a prologue, sometimes a snippet though that just depends on the content and/or quantity) and they would see if anyone was interested in seeing more. That way if an acceptable number of people took a liking to it, they would then upload it to the site as normal and well....keep posting it of course. I guess its kind of like an "Interest Checker", though from what I've seen elsewhere, that's usually used in forums for posting a summary to see if its grabs anyone. Not for actual content itself.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm getting at?

Moctemma

Learning about this writing stuff
So this isn't self promotion, but to see interesting ideas that could develop into a story?

Discount_Blade

Nah, it's more like me or someone else would post a chapter, or part of one, depending on length, and then people would read it if and see if it would be favorably accepted onto the site. Then you would know if it was worth the time and effort of posting onto the site or if you needed to go elsewhere. Damn, just realized saying this would have shortened my initial post and made it so much more simpler

IamtheCreator

I think that's a really good idea. It would definitely make it easier to write something that people actually want to read on this site.

Plus, it would help beginning authors (Like me:blob_joy:) get some much needed feedback!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I think that's a really good idea. It would definitely make it easier to write something that people actually want to read on this site.

Plus, it would help beginning authors (Like me:blob_joy:) get some much needed feedback!

It is a terrible idea, we will only get more mediocre LitRPG garbage with power fantasies and harem building. No, thanks. :blob_evil_two:

Discount_Blade

It is a terrible idea, we will only get more mediocre LitRPG garbage with power fantasies and harem building. No, thanks. :blob_evil_two:

Yeah you have a point. I will admit that when these other two sites were still going, I'm fairly sure LitRPG/harem flick writers were a VERY minor number of the user population. I think I remember only 2, and I'm certain they weren't well noticed. Weird how posting/story trends have completely changed in 5-6 years. However, I still think the idea could be utilized in theory. I just can't say how since that's not my expertise.

IamtheCreator

Hrmmm I didn't think of it that way. There is always a chance that could happen.

I was just thinking that it could be a good way for first time writers to get some feedback on their stories. :blob_teehee:

Discount_Blade

The more I think about it, the more skeptical of it I am now. The other sites, were mostly western-oriented. SO Action/Adventure yes, but few LN-esque style stories. If any really. And I will also admit that their writing was much better there too. And looking at what is considered popular here on SH, some of the trash (my opinion), is so high in rankings that I question the idea of what is considered quality on this site at times. Some of the better writers here, ( again in my opinion), are smothered by crap from their in-site peers/colleagues

Assurbanipal_II

Hrmmm I didn't think of it that way. There is always a chance that could happen.

I was just thinking that it could be a good way for first time writers to get some feedback on their stories. :blob_teehee:

I am a first time writer as well and did get barely get any feedback at all. Just no readers and 1 stars without a angry review as I would wish. :blob_evil_two: So, where is my feedback?

Assurbanipal_II

The more I think about it, the more skeptical of it I am now. The other sites, were mostly western-oriented. SO Action/Adventure yes, but few LN-esque style stories. If any really. And I will also admit that their writing was much better there too. And looking at what is considered popular here on SH, some of the trash (my opinion), is so high in rankings that I question the idea of what is considered quality on this site at times. Some of the better writers here, ( again in my opinion), are smothered by crap from their in-site peers/colleagues

Who are the better writers in your opinion?:blob_reach: I am honestly curious.

Discount_Blade

I am a first time writer as well and did get barely get any feedback at all. Just no readers and 1 stars without a angry review as I would wish. :blob_evil_two: So, where is my feedback?

"Just no readers and a 1 star without a angry review as I would wish".

I just couldn't stop myself from snorting out loud to this.

Discount_Blade

As said, I am curious. You may start.
Quill (I'm not entirely sure if he still posts here or not to be honest.)

S-Scherr

Bokuboy (Though I don't like anything new by him. He had some older stuff that he removed and I don't know why)

a_man_in_black

Virlyce

UndyingEmbers - I liked his Necromancer story even though it tended to be very light on descriptive details to it's detriment. He/she keeps starting new stories though so I've not kept up with him/her any longer.)

Macronomicon

Shirtaloon - Great writer. He is a great writer, but I wonder if he is actually even capable of making a likeable MC. Or maybe he writes them that way on purpose. Idk. I accept that my opinion of that is likely in the minority.

James_Callum - I've only read a little by him, and on a different site altogether, but it seemed promising.

Rhaegar

Ninetailed_Furball - I hate Gender-Bender but he/she wrote the only gender-bender I've ever read and enjoyed and didn't even care that it was gender bender.

Sinpathy - Not sure if I spelled that right But anyway he keeps rewriting the same story over and over so I avoid his stuff now. But good writer. Probably one of only 2 people who writesa decent yandere to me

AuthorSME

Manasong - despite his troublesome grammar at times. He's good.

TowerCurator

Sociable Hermit (May or may not still be on SH)

I have others but I'm not sure if they are on SH or not. So I don't know if I can include them or not. Their are also others who I think are great writers, but typically write genre's I do not enjoy or have certain material meshed with genre's I enjoy, that ruin the experience for me. They just write things I do not enjoy despite being what I considered skilled writers. Prime example being Ace_Arriande. Great writer. I just do not like his content. (What he writes about)/

I have more but these were off the top of my head.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
This may be the widest idea on the terrible/terrific spectrum. We'd either strike some gold or dig up a hidden subculture of anthropomorphic foxes speaking entirely out of scat fetish poetry.

Either way, seeing as how far we've reached in site, I say this idea probably isn't worth doing anymore. It's hard to drag a crowd from their comfort zone by product alone without some big push or promotion from the site itself. As long as it has a LitRPG tag or a Yuri/Gender Bender/whatever genre tacked on to it, you can be sure you'll hit the trending tab at some point if you post enough.

Discount_Blade

This may be the widest idea on the terrible/terrific spectrum. We'd either strike some gold or dig up a hidden subculture of anthropomorphic foxes speaking entirely out of scat fetish poetry.

Either way, seeing as how far we've reached in site, I say this idea probably isn't worth doing anymore. It's hard to drag a crowd from their comfort zone by product alone without some big push or promotion from the site itself. As long as it has a LitRPG tag or a Yuri/Gender Bender/whatever genre tacked on to it, you can be sure you'll hit the trending tab at some point if you post enough.

See, you had me at Anthromorphic foxes.....and then you had to kill it with scat.....

I just need a fluffy romance between a man and his airbag.

i'm too lazy to write them and i don't know much about airbags to grasp the Dao of Airbag Love.