Interesting fantasy races

RootBeerBert

Was definitely popular growing up
I’ve been wanting to add some fantasy races past the basic ones to my novel but I can’t think of any right now. So instead of thinking harder I’m heading here to find answers. Could someone tell me any interesting or original ones to steal use?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Are there any particular traits you're looking for? We'd literally be here all day if we just listed every race that wasn't elves or dwarves.

Pick an animal, plant, fungus, rock, phenomena or concept and there's probably a race built on it.
There's also 'the same thing but scaled up': for example, Halfling, Human, Giant.

I guess my freebie suggestions are tree people, crystal people, and a hive mind swarm type race.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
I’ve been wanting to add some fantasy races past the basic ones to my novel but I can’t think of any right now. So instead of thinking harder I’m heading here to find answers. Could someone tell me any interesting or original ones to steal use?
Mushroom people, grass people, dirt people, ore people, crab man, rose woman, basically turn some random object you look at into a race

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Go read some weirdass japanese, korean, indian and russian folklore to get your juice running then.

Well here is my take, dildo beholder. Instead of having ten eyestalks, the beholder that has ten assortment of dicks sticking out of his tentacles, from duck's cockscrew to anteater's four heads, you can have it all. Also they all squirt different shits, from clothes dissolving, to aphrodisiac to sticky shit.

And the main eye could be something different, instead of an antimagic eye, it can be charm, it can be hypnosis, it can be whatever BS you want it to be.

RICHIESPIDER505

50%human 25%vampire 25%elf and the races called half blood elf.This races very Beautiful and extremely powerful.how this race came to be will be one parent is full vampire and other is half elf with half human or can be .strength and are have a lot mana,can use all Elements and have very good regeneration.Weakness can not full vampire powers and highly hated by elf and human a

Last edited:

Nihilism

Biblicaly accurate angels.
20220506_205932.jpg

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
The Grood, a race born of the deepest earth, sired by fragments of shattered Dungeon Cores. Their hunger is unending, they are cautious but terrifyingly persistent in their pursuit of life force/mana/essence/etc. What they lack in the creative powers of their sires, they make up for with the endurance inherited from their mother.

Daitengu

Or just take an established monster and make a race of them.

Golems, spirits, ghosts, elementals, titans, etc.

It's why orc and goblin are now playable DnD races.

I've always been unhappy with how the traditional races are potrayed. Often you'll get more milage out of a few well thought out races (even the classics) than by just throwing random shit at the reader.
For instance, if your nonhuman is long lived, what does that actually mean? Two hundred years ago, humans primary mode of trasnportation was horseback, ships used sales, and rifles were muzzle loaded.
Can half-races have children, or are they mules?
How do they cope with humans' genocidal tendancies?
Do they intercalate the fractional day of a solar year every 4 years, or wait 28 years for a full week to acrue?
If they're not mammals, how do they have their young?
Lots to think about.

the toilet race.

it's probably interesting in a way, that you could accidentally impregnate a toilet when doing your usual fap.

in many other races i think up, they just screws with my mind the most for some reason.

Jemini

Are there any particular traits you're looking for? We'd literally be here all day if we just listed every race that wasn't elves or dwarves.

Pick an animal, plant, fungus, rock, phenomena or concept and there's probably a race built on it.
There's also 'the same thing but scaled up': for example, Halfling, Human, Giant.

I guess my freebie suggestions are tree people, crystal people, and a hive mind swarm type race.

Ditto this. The list of fantasy races is so broad and expansive that we could literally be here all day.

My suggestion is that, rather than asking us to list some off for you, go to some other good sources to get informed.

My recommendation would be go to the Youtube channels, Overly Sarcastic Productions or Tale Foundry for a good look at various fantasy races.

(OSP is the superior option of the two because they also go into the historical and cultural information on the cultures the creatures came from, and specifically cite the major historical written stories they appear as prominent figures in. TF falls a little short by comparison, but they are still good as a source because they cover some subjects OSP hasn't dug into yet.)

For a more broad but less historically accurate or in-depth look at various fantasy races, you can just look up the D&D monster manual and focus on the more sentient races.

Vnator

Go read some weirdass japanese, korean, indian and russian folklore to get your juice running then.

Well here is my take, dildo beholder. Instead of having ten eyestalks, the beholder that has ten assortment of dicks sticking out of his tentacles, from duck's cockscrew to anteater's four heads, you can have it all. Also they all squirt different shits, from clothes dissolving, to aphrodisiac to sticky shit.

And the main eye could be something different, instead of an antimagic eye, it can be charm, it can be hypnosis, it can be whatever BS you want it to be.
Only liked for that first line. Afterwards... yeah.