Interesting Questions That Anyone Might Thought Before

• Thread starter Deleted member 20302
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 20302

I came across a story here with a lot of views and readers but it was rated 3.6 or something.

It had several terrible reviews as people were surprised there's NTR in it as it wasn't tagged properly. Apparently, Author argued it wasn't NTR despite being done with multiple girls, several times. I just read a bit and annoyed not because of the NTR, but because of the low effort of editing and bland writing.

Why am I mentioning all these? Two questions which I hope anyone can answer.

1. Why do some people think NTR is THAT bad? I understand the feeling about someone being cheated by their partners and all, but why excessively negative reaction when it comes to this particular genre written in a fictional setting? I have never seen such hatred for any genre except this one. Even smut/harem was mostly complaints/trolls, but it still highly rated and loved by many.

2. How do readers tolerate or authors write such books with terrible English and poor editing? The one I saw was as if it was never edited, with random spacing between paragraphs and wrong spelling/ severe grammar mistakes. Nowadays, with the prevalent existence of even free editing and spelling checker, online and offline, it's no excuse to at least put in a little effort to correct basic grammar and sentence structures. Even for non-native speakers (that includes me)

I apologise for my short rant, but I'm genuinely curious and want answers. :blob_cookie:

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I came across a story here with a lot of views and readers but it was rated 3.6 or something.

It had several terrible reviews as people were surprised there's NTR in it as it wasn't tagged properly. Apparently, Author argued it wasn't NTR despite being done with multiple girls, several times. I just read a bit and annoyed not because of the NTR, but because of the low effort of editing and bland writing.

1. Why do some people think NTR is THAT bad? I understand the feeling about someone being cheated by their partners and all, but why excessively negative reaction when it comes to this particular genre written in a fictional setting? I have never seen such hatred for any genre except this one. Even smut/harem was mostly complaints/trolls, but it still highly rated and loved by many.

2. How do readers tolerate or authors write such books with terrible English and poor editing? The one I saw was as if it was never edited, with random spacing between paragraphs and wrong spelling/ severe grammar mistakes. Nowadays, with the prevalent existence of even free editing and spelling checker, online and offline, it's no excuse to at least put in a little effort to correct basic grammar and sentence structures. Even for non-native speakers (that includes me)

I apologise for my short rant, but I'm genuinely curious and want answers. :blob_cookie:
1. Cuz they are there to feel good? Cuz no one likes to get NTRed unless they are a total weirdo? We want to be the centre of the universe because IRL, we are worth less than nothing (not really, to me, I am the most important thing in my life).

2. Cuz brilliant ideas? They have good ideas (sort of, it really depends on whether is it their egos talking or for real) and they want to express it out. Sadly they never bothered to consult the local editors (because they might be not free and not free). But most importantly, no one to actually mark their paper, they get lazy.

Draconite

Exist in the void
You'll get used too it once you read too much mtl

High-in-the-skys

Awkward member
I'm just gonna give a short answer. A warning though, i'm pulling these idea out of nowhere and has no basis.

1. Their kokoro is weak. When reading, people tend to immerse themselves in the story, this means they view from the POV. Another way of saying this is they self-insert into the characters. Now what happens if they got NTR'ed while in the POV of a character? Kaboom, Kerblam!, pewpewpew, tingaling ngaling and anything that denotes explosion of feelings, as they got PTSD and rush to type their complaints to the author. This becomes worst if it's a smut, as they need to have vivid "imagination" or else how would someone enjoy smut?

2. Not everyone knows how to navigate the way of english'ing. Most especially the non-native english speakers, as they got thrown into an internet filled with foreign speaking people. Even when I read with my third language japanese, I got too much headache looking at essays of words and tend to ignore it. There are also instances that they can't or won't use editing tools for reasons. For me, I want to improve my lexicon so I avoid editing tools. Whereas others perchance can't download editing apps, no english-local language speaking friends helping, laziness and other reasons.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29316

I won't answer the first question simply because I also don't get the love for NTR.

But here's my opinion on number 2: some authors, though free grammar checkers are available, simply lack the heart to do edits, especially if it's 100k words or more already. The readers tolerate such quality because, first, they can understand it just fine and wouldn't demand for more. And second, they liked the idea of the story. There's also a third, in which, the readers are avoiding conflicts with author (thus, they don't say anything) for a variety of reasons.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
Hmmm, rating a genre low because you don't like it is such an ass-hat move.
I don't like NTR and I avoid tags that include that. I won't read it to aggravate myself and rate it low just to spite the author who hurt my tender sensitive feelings... it exist to cater to the readers who dig it. If you don't like it, don't read it.

D

Deleted member 20302

1. Cuz they are there to feel good? Cuz no one likes to get NTRed unless they are a total weirdo? We want to be the centre of the universe because IRL, we are worth less than nothing (not really, to me, I am the most important thing in my life).

2. Cuz brilliant ideas? They have good ideas (sort of, it really depends on whether is it their egos talking or for real) and they want to express it out. Sadly they never bothered to consult the local editors (because they might be not free and not free). But most importantly, no one to actually mark their paper, they get lazy.
Ahh, that's possible. Even I can fall into that at times.
Well don't have to be editors, they can just do it themselves. I'm sure school forces them to do that and develop such habit. Though some might just ignore it.
I'm just gonna give a short answer. A warning though, i'm pulling these idea out of nowhere and has no basis.

1. Their kokoro is weak. When reading, people tend to immerse themselves in the story, this means they view from the POV. Another way of saying this is they self-insert into the characters. Now what happens if they got NTR'ed while in the POV of a character? Kaboom, Kerblam!, pewpewpew, tingaling ngaling and anything that denotes explosion of feelings, as they got PTSD and rush to type their complaints to the author. This becomes worst if it's a smut, as they need to have vivid "imagination" or else how would someone enjoy smut?

2. Not everyone knows how to navigate the way of english'ing. Most especially the non-native english speakers, as they got thrown into an internet filled with foreign speaking people. Even when I read with my third language japanese, I got too much headache looking at essays of words and tend to ignore it. There are also instances that they can't or won't use editing tools for reasons. For me, I want to improve my lexicon so I avoid editing tools. Whereas others perchance can't download editing apps, no english-local language speaking friends helping, laziness and other reasons.
Haha, I love your first answer. So funny yet bringing the message across well. I understand better now, thank you.

So this means there's the human element that I forgot. I guess habits from real life also falls into this, where people get lazy or just not concern about them. I can't relate to your Japanese since English is like... everywhere and people being forced to at least learn the basics to communicate with the majority of internet users.
I won't answer the first question simply because I also don't get the love for NTR.

But here's my opinion on number 2: some authors, though free grammar checkers are available, simply lack the heart to do edits, especially if it's 100k words or more already. The readers tolerate such quality because, first, they can understand it just fine and wouldn't demand for more. And second, they liked the idea of the story. There's also a third, in which, the readers are avoiding conflicts with author (thus, they don't say anything) for a variety of reasons.
I understand, thank you for taking the time to write your answers. I totally forgot about the human element that comes into play, in terms of laziness and habits they have in real life. Though it's still painful to read nevertheless. Don't even need a grammar nazi to start complaining about English.

HappyVainGlory

1. I'll reiterate what NotaNuffian said and add that people who go into a story tend to do it to connect with the character and support them in their struggles. As a result, they empathize a lot with the character, either to the extent of self-inserting or to the extent of treating them as a good friend. If you or your friend gets NTR'd, you would probably get really pissed off.

Unless you're into that sort of thing, in which case all the more power to you.

But I'd wager that most people aren't, and having it spring up unexpectedly can completely turn someone off from a story. The difference with smut/harem, going back to the self-insert/good friend analogy, is that you could get annoyed by it, but there's not really anything bad about it. Just a bit too much of a good thing, if any.

2. For readers, basically a combination of what NotaNuffian and Draconite said. A lot of the readerbase here comes from people used to reading translations of varying degrees in quality, with the low end being machine translations. If you can get past that, a poorly written but understandable story is cake.

As to authors, I'll reiterate High-in-the-skys, but also say there could be a myriad of reasons. Here are a few:
  • The author doesn't care about editing at all and just wants to throw the story out there.
  • The author only has time to write and so, while aware of the mistakes, uploads anyway because it's better to have something than nothing.
  • The author's grasp of English is poor enough to not be able to use those tools but high enough to be able to just pass in writing a story.
  • The author is hopelessly delusional and thinks their writing is perfect and can't understand why people think otherwise.
  • The author knows that readers will tolerate low quality and so puts in the minimum effort necessary
  • The author doesn't care about the story at all and is just relying on cheap tropes, archetypes, etc. knowing that readers will eat it up no matter how terribly written it is
The list can go on and on, but the short of it is you can't really know. It could be a lack of capability, a lack of culpability, or a lack of creativity.

-This message has been brought to you by your local happy and vain writer.

D

Deleted member 20302

1. I'll reiterate what NotaNuffian said and add that people who go into a story tend to do it to connect with the character and support them in their struggles. As a result, they empathize a lot with the character, either to the extent of self-inserting or to the extent of treating them as a good friend. If you or your friend gets NTR'd, you would probably get really pissed off.

Unless you're into that sort of thing, in which case all the more power to you.

But I'd wager that most people aren't, and having it spring up unexpectedly can completely turn someone off from a story. The difference with smut/harem, going back to the self-insert/good friend analogy, is that you could get annoyed by it, but there's not really anything bad about it. Just a bit too much of a good thing, if any.

2. For readers, basically a combination of what NotaNuffian and Draconite said. A lot of the readerbase here comes from people used to reading translations of varying degrees in quality, with the low end being machine translations. If you can get past that, a poorly written but understandable story is cake.

As to authors, I'll reiterate High-in-the-skys, but also say there could be a myriad of reasons. Here are a few:
  • The author doesn't care about editing at all and just wants to throw the story out there.
  • The author only has time to write and so, while aware of the mistakes, uploads anyway because it's better to have something than nothing.
  • The author's grasp of English is poor enough to not be able to use those tools but high enough to be able to just pass in writing a story.
  • The author is hopelessly delusional and thinks their writing is perfect and can't understand why people think otherwise.
  • The author knows that readers will tolerate low quality and so puts in the minimum effort necessary
  • The author doesn't care about the story at all and is just relying on cheap tropes, archetypes, etc. knowing that readers will eat it up no matter how terribly written it is
The list can go on and on, but the short of it is you can't really know. It could be a lack of capability, a lack of culpability, or a lack of creativity.

-This message has been brought to you by your local happy and vain writer.
Haha. As always, your essays never fail to impress me. Thank you for taking the time to explain to me.

I hope this helps everyone else who have similar thoughts because this quite bothers me since I started reading online.

Legi0n

Personally no matter how good a story is, if it isn't written in proper english I will never know about its interestibg ideas and likes. I drop immediately.
And I do this for two reasons: one, it's a pain to understand; two, as a non anglophone I use reading as a mean to improve my english and if I would read bad written english I would learn bad english.

So, PROPERLY EDIT YOUR CHAPTERS! IT TAKES SMALL TIME WITH GRAMMARLY!

Arkus86

I think in this case, the problem is not so much that it is NTR, but rather because it is not tagged as such. Compare it to people eating a cookie, expecting chocolate chips in it, only to find out it's raisins that so many hate for some reason.

Personally, what I hate about NTR is the toying with peoples' feelings, which in my opinion is not alright, even in fictional setting. If you like it, good for you, but do give me a fair warning so I can avoid it. And while I can tolerate a harem written well (and scarce few I have read have ticked this box for me, so few I can't recall a single name), NTR just makes my insides twist.
I would think it's often unfounded overconfidence in their skill and/or lack of commitment to make their book actually good, at least for the pieces with particularly poor quality. For others who actually care about their book and might use such tools, I guess there's only so much a free online tool can do for you. And then there's the aforementioned effort to edit thousands of words.

That said, even edited MTL is tolerable, if annoying, if the story is worth it, notably if you've spent enough time around fan translations, where anything close to professional level is scarce.

And just as curiosity, the worst I have seen was one authors' writing that was only barely recognisable as English. MTL or even the most basic grammar checks would be a distant dream for that one story.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
You'll get used too it once you read too much mtl
i think it's the opposite for me. I've gotten so sick of machine translated works that I decided to make my own story with blackjack and hookers and look at me now! just as shitty but hey, at least I don't start my sentences with He are death.

KyoruS

My story contains Netorare so I might have some credibility on this topic. Honestly, from my perspective, readers are actually fine with Netorare content, as long as they are written in a good way and for a good reason. Readers despise netorare scenes if they are just done purely for the shock value, which I see many writers do. It's like having jump scares in horror movies/games, people are bound to be pissed if the same cheap trick is done over and over again.

I'm guessing the story you've read is filled with netorare scenes just for the sake of it. There's need a good reason why you are inserting a netorare scene so the readers are willing to push through it, and if you were able to write it in a good way, then even perhaps intrigue your readers, which thankfully I was able to in my story.

LimitBound

Saint

Vainglory much?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
1) Snowflakes exist.
2) The pay off for going back to edit often isn’t worth it. With the way web series and many websites work these days quantity to stay relevant in the algorithms becomes more important than the actual quality. Making mistakes is actually beneficial in many algorithms because they factor in engagement through comments so it can pay off to have mistakes to trigger people to comment and point it out. The ones that are the most vocal are the ones that react negatively to something after all. Often the ones that enjoy something remain in the silent majority.

Also, some people may just write on their mobile device and can’t be bothered to get any extra apps or software. Then there are also times where you go and write 100k words in one go, proofreading and editing that shit can take days or weeks on your own even if you know what you’re doing and this will greatly disrupt you when you’re in the zone to write. Editing and writing are two completely different mind sets and editors are often expensive as hell. People typically don’t make money off their writing either, who do you think foots the bill for those editors?

Spica66

Those wizards hate NTR.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
1. I don't like NTR because I'm polyamorous, and I believe that choosing everyone you love is better than just choosing one.
2. Yeah, I have no idea.

CadmarLegend

@Agentt found a key in the skeletons.

1). Because I feel the character... don't know how to ddscribe it.

2). Because I know of the problems of having to go through and edit your chaps. You create a whole chapter while spending enough time as it is to decide what you want in there, and yet you have to look through it again...