is a protagonist whose gender you don't reveal considered genderless?

IanWhite2105

Not really. It would be more of a mystery that readers would guess at based one their sexual preferences, way they dress, how they act, etc...
I am currently writing a post-apocalyptic thingy where the MC gender isn’t revealed. Similar questions popped in my mind, but it would be good to have a gender in mind when writing.

Last edited:

Southdog

Caustic, handle with caution
Technically, gender unspecified unless noted otherwise. The more progressively minded would assume nonbinary.

Realistically that's stupid and makes your writing clunky if this is an English work, considering the lack of a third-person singular in that language.

HelloHound

Hound of hell, lover of girls (she/her)
could write them to be nonbinary

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
I thought english only has "he/ she/ it". So I was very confused when "they" was used.

To me, you are either a male, female or non-human (calling the term "it" lesser human sounds about right also) and "they" is a weird sell, because of it referring to two or more people.

To me, it is just a Crona situation so

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends on how you, the author, chooses to see them. It's completely your choice.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Gender is just the social assumptions, stigmas, and mores surrounding a particular type of identity. If you do not have an y cultural signfiers, then yes, your character would be genderless.

In practice, I think it would be incredibly hard to do this. People heap so many assumptions on the little things. And not only that, differnt cultures would have different signifiers meaning you could at best, create someone who is genderless to a very small group of people. Everyone else to going to draw something out of that.

Pujimaki

Padoru trash writer
So... What pronounce? Or maybe a first person perspective where 'I' and 'me' can be used?

Nuki

I thought english only has "he/ she/ it". So I was very confused when "they" was used.

To me, you are either a male, female or non-human (calling the term "it" lesser human sounds about right also) and "they" is a weird sell, because of it referring to two or more people.

Did you know that the word ‘you’ used to be the plural version of thee or thou(instead of it) so get used to they being the new normal because by at least 2070 it’s going to be.

Le_ther

Not really it would fall probably at the non binary level but most readers just based the mc gender base on them. It is not very wise to give the character a love interest tho as it would ruin the mystery

From a non native speaker this perspective is very much understandable but they is singular so while it might sound a bit odd at first, it quickly becomes normal if you start using it frequently.

ACertainPassingUser

Whether you consider it's genderless or not, you can always choose what you want to put the tags you want to put.

There's no clear requirements for "male mc" or "female mc" rule for scribble hub.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Whether you consider it's genderless or not, you can always choose what you want to put the tags you want to put.

There's no clear requirements for "male mc" or "female mc" rule for scribble hub.
Nah get that gender fluid nonsense outta here bro. If you specifically tag a story as male MC then that MC is a dude, I don't give a fuck what fantasy y'all make up in your heads about the guy.

Hell, I don't care what fantasies the MC himself makes up. I tag that fucker as male, then dammit he is a male. Might think of himself as a girl, but as his God my word is law. I am all powerful, all knowing. How dare a mere character in my story presume to challenge my authority?