Is adding comedy to serious stories okay?

Erivva

I was thinking of adding comedy to my next chapter, but I’m unsure of how to do that, since from the starting chapters everything is serious

SailusGebel

1. It's a personal preference.
2. Your story is smut, right? Almost every smut story I've seen had a comedy in it. Without it, you stand out among the others.
3. If you are not sure that you are funny, you will make readers cringe with unfunny jokes. And you thinking that you are funny and humorous isn't a good indicator. You kinda need others to say this, and preferably not your close friends.

Erivva

Depends on scene and tone, I haven’t read it but comedy should not destroy a tone you established.
Oky
1. It's a personal preference.
2. Your story is smut, right? Almost every smut story I've seen had a comedy in it. Without it, you stand out among the others.
3. If you are not sure that you are funny, you will make readers cringe with unfunny jokes. And you thinking that you are funny and humorous isn't a good indicator. You kinda need others to say this, and preferably not your close friends.
Ohhh thanks for the advice

longer

Balls
Berserk did it. But requires a high amount of finesse and careful thought. Subtle humor can also be good.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It's your story! Go wild! A little comedy break can make readers feel refreshed.

BlackKnightX

You shouldn’t add comedy or humor when the tension is escalating, unless you’re writing comedy.

But from what you’ve said, the few chapters prologuing this have had a serious tone, right? Then, you’ve already given your readers a promise. You’ve already set up a tone that the story is pretty serious. It’s gonna feel like a let down if you suddenly introduce humor when the tension has already escalated. You can do it after the climax, though. Like, at the end of the arc or something like that to give readers the breathing room.