Is Anyone Else Annoyed By The Sound Of Children?

Does The Sound Of Children Annoy You?

• Yes, burn all crotch-goblins to the stake!

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • No, not really...

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • I do not care.

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Sometimes.

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • I'd like to answer, but I'm not allowed within 100 Solar-Systems near children

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters

WingsOfPhantasy

Tomboy Agenda Symphathizer
Now I'm not a child-hater okay? I give my props to whatever cooter-shooter or million soldier-unloader is willing to take care of one of those eldritch beings with love and care.
After all, I firmly believe that every child deserves a parent, but not every parent deserves a child.
In order words, if you spawn a crotch-goblin, then you should at least have the decency to take care of the damned fella.
But by god, does the sound of children annoys you guys as much as it does to me?
Now maybe because my ears are too sensitive, but whenever those decibel-dragons shriek, cry, scream, or speak it just drives me up the wall.
Super-Sonic Banshee Kid vs My Ears 1-0, I guess.

And the sound of kids coughing. No, god, please no.

I had a stint of babysitting when I was a kid, not by choice of course (the payment was continued survival), but because when your parents tell you to do something, you really can't say no, and I can say with absolute certainty that my ability to zone out certain noises and sounds was born because of those events.

Goodness, gracious.

How about you guys? Does it annoy you? Or do you guys just not care much about it?

Major2501

At this point in my life (closer to 40 than I am to 30 now, still with no kids, no mishaps and waning fertility) I consider myself a childfree icon. Satan will be ice skating to work the day I have kids.

Tempokai

Overworked One
I hate it when they are on the bus without any earphones to hide their terrified bored shrieks as if they saw horrors beyond the adults imagination

SternenklarenRitter

Crying tantrums are a little distressing, but normal kid sounds actually relax me. For coughing? Most kids cough less than NPCs in Skyrim, but they weren't too annoying either. What human sounds do I find irritating? There's a forceful, disinhibited quality some adult men's voices take on when they are surrounded only by other men. A restaurant I frequented with my Grandmother had some business suits drop by after their work sometimes. Two or three of them have voices that slowly crescendo into distilled obnoxygen, but that instantly return to normal when a waitress or kid walks past.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
*sobs* MAKE IT STOOOOOOOOOOOOP!!!!!!!

Honestly, there are good moments and bad moments. It's super exciting when they learn new words/numbers/letters. I need some peace and quiet to keep my sanity, though. If you have any doubts about your ability to be a good parent, don't do it! It's harder than it looks. I had a huge leg up on parenting with my human development course, but it's still HARD.

Also, the hospital will tell you that cosleeping is NEVER safe. I'll tell you what's not safe. What's not safe is accidentally falling asleep with your baby in an unsafe position because you are drop-dead exhausted from trying to make it sleep alone. Don't listen to their scare tactics, but do cosleep responsibly:

melchi

What is a custom title?
So when I used to work nights I had a coworker who just could not make it back after break because he'd fall asleep. I asked him why he can't stay awake at work anymore and he told me that his GF just had a baby. And he'd come home after working a 12 hour shift and she'd leave the baby to him and go off to do her own thing or go to work or something. Bottom line, he just couldn't get any sleep at home because infant and the only time he could sleep was on break at work. We eventually worked something out where he would just take his break and lunch all at once near the start of shift and do one long stint at once. But yeah, can't imagine that working 12 hours then doing childcare for the rest of the day, guy had it rough.

SternenklarenRitter

Co-sleeping with infants has been the norm for millennia. There are even special neural pathways in a new mother's brain that allow her to unconsciously detect things like the child's body temperature, breathing rate, heartbeat, and more while sleeping. The mother will then unconciously adjust her own posture, heartrate, and breathing to help regulate all of these in the infant. Such pathways are the only reason co-sleeping is safe with an infant, but they do not turn on except with impeccable sleep hygiene. Unsafe co-sleeping involves any position that is not on the back (for the mother), that is not on a bed (couches are deadly), and any conditions which interupt the delicate maternal sleep optimization neural system. Thus, unsafe co-sleeping also includes things like nightlights, additionally sharing the bed with anyone else, consuming ANY amount of alcohol or caffiene, most types of medicine (and in particular ibuprofen and acetaminophen), sleepwear that is not relatively thin or close fitting (avoid plush robes or airy gowns for example), more noise than a typical library, and generally having anything in your bedroom that wasn't in your great-great grandmother's bedroom at the end of the 1800s. Since nobody ever sleeps well in modern society, the essential unconcious neural processes that guarentee the safety of the child are gravely disrupted in most new mothers, and as such most doctors recommend against sleeping with your infant under most or all circumstances.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Co-sleeping with infants has been the norm for millennia. There are even special neural pathways in a new mother's brain that allow her to unconsciously detect things like the child's body temperature, breathing rate, heartbeat, and more while sleeping. The mother will then unconciously adjust her own posture, heartrate, and breathing to help regulate all of these in the infant. Such pathways are the only reason co-sleeping is safe with an infant, but they do not turn on except with impeccable sleep hygiene. Unsafe co-sleeping involves any position that is not on the back (for the mother), that is not on a bed (couches are deadly), and any conditions which interupt the delicate maternal sleep optimization neural system. Thus, unsafe co-sleeping also includes things like nightlights, additionally sharing the bed with anyone else, consuming ANY amount of alcohol or caffiene, most types of medicine (and in particular ibuprofen and acetaminophen), sleepwear that is not relatively thin or close fitting (avoid plush robes or airy gowns for example), more noise than a typical library, and generally having anything in your bedroom that wasn't in your great-great grandmother's bedroom at the end of the 1800s. Since nobody ever sleeps well in modern society, the essential unconcious neural processes that guarentee the safety of the child are gravely disrupted in most new mothers, and as such most doctors recommend against sleeping with your infant under most or all circumstances.
Sleepwear? People actually wear clothes to sleep? Who the fuck wants to fuss with clothes every time the kid wants to drinky drinky milk?

Husband admitted that we were cosleeping, and our pediatrician said it's fine for us because our son was full-term and we don't smoke. He didn't elaborate any further than that. We had to look up everything else on our own.

D

Deleted member 54065

My only take in this is:

Please respect my privacy. I'm in my 30s, yet I avoid settling down for a family because I know I'm not ready for kids yet. However, due to my younger sister's circumstances, she's living with us with her children...and they're naughty as heck.

While I did adjust to their noise and chaos, I only ask 9pm onwards to next day as my 'silent hours' so I can write stories and deal with my paperworks. And my nephews are definitely not my responsibility. Also, my stuff are my stuff; I discipline them if they touch it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Now I'm not a child-hater okay? I give my props to whatever cooter-shooter or million soldier-unloader is willing to take care of one of those eldritch beings with love and care.
After all, I firmly believe that every child deserves a parent, but not every parent deserves a child.
In order words, if you spawn a crotch-goblin, then you should at least have the decency to take care of the damned fella.
But by god, does the sound of children annoys you guys as much as it does to me?
Now maybe because my ears are too sensitive, but whenever those decibel-dragons shriek, cry, scream, or speak it just drives me up the wall.
Super-Sonic Banshee Kid vs My Ears 1-0, I guess.

And the sound of kids coughing. No, god, please no.

I had a stint of babysitting when I was a kid, not by choice of course (the payment was continued survival), but because when your parents tell you to do something, you really can't say no, and I can say with absolute certainty that my ability to zone out certain noises and sounds was born because of those events.

Goodness, gracious.

How about you guys? Does it annoy you? Or do you guys just not care much about it?
nope, you get used to it. If it annoys you, it just means you still lack experience and are of a weak bloodline.

MOST people dislike the sound of a baby crying, though, and from what i've read thats ingrained into us. It sets off alarms in our heads, a sense of urgency, "A baby's in danger!" That kind of thing. Its a survival trait i guess, it helps to protect future generations and whatnot.

There are even certain animals that have evolved to mimic the sound of a crying woman or child as a way to attract human prey. They recognize that sound as something most people would rush to investigate. Because its literally part of our biology to react protectively towards a crying woman or child.