Is commissioning a picture for a "front cover" worth it?

Imbreak

Depends in your budget and how much you want to invest in your story. Well, I can't really say much other than that since I am an author and an artist as well so I make my own stuff. I'm just an amateur artist though. :P

LWFlouisa

Wow I learned two things in one thread. Bang for your buck here: some users are quiet readers, sometimes its worth commissioning a cover and other times not.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Depends on what your skill set is and what you need. If you got the necessary photoshop skills, go cook yourself one up. No biggie.

If you want to attract from the cover itself, however, then by all means, go for it. Find those that do good landscaping art with high contrast in eye-catching colors (royal purple, magenta, green/yellow, something big and magnificent and holy-shit-why-isn't-this-in-the-Louvre). As long as it catches the ye, it's a fair chance that it'd do too with readers.

Staria

this is old but heck, it's relevant. lol i'm a huge, huge art fan, so i'm clearly biased. cough// definitely on the side who thinks it's very much worth commissioning a well deserving artist for a beautiful cover! who knows when you might publish? who knows when it will draw greater readers? who knows when an artist depends on commissions for income? go for it if you have the savings or income.