Is good to post Original Story in multiple website?

razack69

I'm very new in this writing website and most of time writing Fanfic so I don't have problem to post in WN and SH.

But I'm interested to write original novel in the future so I'm wanna ask if good to post in multiple website?

Is there any advantages and disadvantages from your experience?

I heard bad thing if you want contract from WN, so is much better to relied on post in multiple website, and using patreon or paypal or maybe sell in the amazon the digital book like that?

LilRora

Mostly formless
As long as you're not signing any exclusivity contact or anything of the sort, then there is no problem with posting on multiple websites. Patreon, Ko-Fi and PayPal don't care if you have your works elsewhere. Kindle has exclusivity contracts, Amazon in general doesn't, I think.

If anything, there might be a problem with having your work on too many sites that you have no knowledge about (meaning bots copying your stories).

Though there are different preferred stories on each site. For example on Scribble Hub it's girl's love and smut (I think? There are jokes about that, so I'm not sure), and on RoyalRoad it's litRPG and progression.

razack69

As long as you're not signing any exclusivity contact or anything of the sort, then there is no problem with posting on multiple websites. Patreon, Ko-Fi and PayPal don't care if you have your works elsewhere. Kindle has exclusivity contracts, Amazon in general doesn't, I think.

If anything, there might be a problem with having your work on too many sites that you have no knowledge about (meaning bots copying your stories).

Though there are different preferred stories on each site. For example on Scribble Hub it's girl's love and smut (I think? There are jokes about that, so I'm not sure), and on RoyalRoad it's litRPG and progression.

Yeah, I see a lot of those (Smut, GL and Genderbender a lot in this site.) Which mean, my story will more appreciated in here... Maybe... I don't know.

But, I heard that RR is quite brutal too and I don't have any confident with my grammar too. I'm not come from an English speaking country and my English grade is suck, especially grammar.

But I see people said to post in multiple, so maybe post in SH, WN, and RR will be enough?
Well, I don't really familiar with RR thought... but maybe I need to try to experience it there...

razack69

Post everywhere.

Any website? Can you tell me every website worth to post?
The only I knew, SH, WN, RR, and Wattpad...
Is there anything else?
I see someone say to post in japanese syosetsu? If my memory correct.
Also I see pixiv have novel section too, but I don't know if there any traffic there.

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Post in however many websites you want, but don't be too reckless with the number of sites. Keep the number of sites reasonable, so you won't overwhelm yourself with uploading on too many sites. Don't be like me: 6 sites to upload one chapter is a lot to handle.

SailusGebel

Any website? Can you tell me every website worth to post?
The only I knew, SH, WN, RR, and Wattpad...
Is there anything else?
I see someone say to post in japanese syosetsu? If my memory correct.
Also I see pixiv have novel section too, but I don't know if there any traffic there.
You can also try Honeyfeed. @Hans.Trondheim can help, but I think he's already sleeping so you will have to wait for his answer.

LilRora

Mostly formless
But, I heard that RR is quite brutal too and I don't have any confident with my grammar too. I'm not come from an English speaking country and my English grade is suck, especially grammar.
I'd say RR is not as much brutal as people tend to be really nitpicky there. The standard for stories is much higher there than on any other site I know, and it gets to the point that people get multiple 3- and 4-star ratings for stories that are really fun to read and well written, but have some flaws. On Scribble 4,7-star rating is about where the top-quality stories start (and even then many good ones are excluded), but on RR only the very best and in certain genres get that high.

Edit: Though keep in mind that on both sites those ratings are heavily skewed because of reader preferences.

Based on your grammar here I'd say you'd get about 2-3 stars average for your grammar on RR, which I don't think I need to explain is a bad score, so I'd recommend to go to RR only when you are confident with your writing.

Apart from those mentioned there is also HoneyFeed. Half a minute too late.

Last edited:

Empyrea

Dense Writer of Lewd
Make sure if you have adult content like the mentioned Smut tag, to check RR's rules. I didn't even try uploading there with my own story.

I wish you luck though, a lot of good stories come out of both sites.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
RR are full of people who will criticize your story for grammar and not meeting their preferences. They’re much more vocal about it.

SH, you’ll get a 1 star rating unless the person was a fan of your work and you did something in the story to piss them off.

If you want grammar feedback with edit suggestions etc. RR is a good place to post if it’s not smut.

Other than that, you might as well post everywhere you can just to get as many eyes on it. Stories are subjective, reader preference is more important.

razack69

RR are full of people who will criticize your story for grammar and not meeting their preferences. They’re much more vocal about it.

SH, you’ll get a 1 star rating unless the person was a fan of your work and you did something in the story to piss them off.

If you want grammar feedback with edit suggestions etc. RR is a good place to post if it’s not smut.

Other than that, you might as well post everywhere you can just to get as many eyes on it. Stories are subjective, reader preference is more important.

Really? Well, that's quite interesting to know from RR.

I don't know if I will going all out Smut, more tame I guess.

D

Deleted member 54065

As someone who was mentioned by @SailusGebel and woke up to find his name on the wanted list I mean, the thread, here are my observations on the sites:

1) First, almost everyone will direct you to RoyalRoad. Yep, it's the first site recommended for beginner authors, mainly because you'll get the biggest slap to wake you up whether or not you want a career in writing.

Yep, commenters are harsh, but you'll learn from them, as long as you know how to separate their preferences from what you need, and you know that your family--and the whole world--loves you. Otherwise, just think they do after receiving a review from Royal Road connoisseurs.

Oh yes, audiences there generally lean on the LitRPG side of things, so better take that in mind.

2) After you got slapped in RR, you find yourself as a refugee in a site called ScribbleHub. Also known by its other name, 'SmutHub', this is where the usual smut authors from Royal Road go after ToCs from that site forbade them to upload their works.

Pretty much more 'chill' and 'welcoming' than the 'literature elite' of Royal Road, SH has diverse genres to choose from. However (and I don't care if they debate me on this; there's even an argument yesterday in one of the threads), a lot of readers lean on the side of smut, genderbender and GL. Some connoisseurs from Royal Road drop by to shit on someone's work, but readers here are more forgiving (or their mental fortitude is tougher on tolerating works that don't go the way they want).

Basically, SH is the kinder version of RR.

3) HoneyFeed is a site meant for anime enthusiasts and JPN LN-inspired stories. It's where you can read stuff where the MC is Japanese (or his name is Japanese sounding, like mine) written by a non-Japanese person and put up in an entirely Japanese setting. Whether or not the depiction of culture is accurate depends on the knowledge source of the author.

HF audience is chill and lovely. If there's a glaring mistake in your work, they'd give a more gentle review focused on the error itself, and not on how much your mother hated you and the world wishes you're dead due to writing a 'bad' novel.

Downside is, if your novel has illustrations (like I do), you can't upload it in the chapters nor you can upload more than four (three in the Gallery, one as the Cover).

4) Did someone say Syosetu? Yeah, I think OP said someone's claiming to be uploading in Syosetu.

I think that'd be me.

Syosetu (or as my colleagues in writing call it 'Japanese Wattpad') is catered for Japanese audience and authors. However, that didn't stop me--and a brave few--to upload English works in the site.

How's the reception? Well, I think it's okay. My novel there got 309 chapters with 4.3* rating based on 11 scores, 63 bookmarks and 4 comments. However, I could see that people are checking my work in the 'access analysis' page.

Oh right. Someone told me before that JP people are not receptive of English works? Not true. One of the four comments in my story expressed his concern that most of them can't read English, but he still supported my story. Another reader messaged me last time correcting one of my chapters for a missing word (V14 Chapter 7). He's that deep into my novel.

Oh and while you can upload illustrations, Syosetu's UI doesn't allow you to format texts. So it can be confusing to some readers used to English online format with Italics and Underlined words.

5) Pixiv is pretty much the brother of Syosetu, with similar UI. Many of us knew that it is a site for illustrations, but yes, I found reader traffic there (and they are supportive too!).

However, I suggest being consistent with your updates since no one loves a good yet unfinished story (or stories that might end up in limbo due to low reader traffic).

6) WebNovel is one of the writing platform sites I'm currently using, though I guess, with the new ToCs, the site just went dead for non-Chinese readers. (Who wants to be milked dry of their money anyway?)

There are ocassional nit-pickers, and you can embarass them by answering their stupid questions (Yes, comments and reviews can be answered).

My only general issue with WN is that...are those number of views in my story settings true? Or just jacked up numbers to encourage the author to sign up their contracts? Any case, even if free, you can still find a supportive reader base there.

(Though I suggest not now, since there's a problem with their ToC, and readers are complaining about it.)

7) Wattpad is kinda dead...though in my case, my works there got some quiet readers. I can tell because my views are going up, likes accumulating and there are a few comments on the chapters (mostly the readers trying to clear some concepts).

UI is simple, very similar to HoneyFeed. You can format your texts as well as upload illustrations anywhere on the chapter.

8) WebkomPH is a site made for Filipino creators. While they do have a 'novels' section, a lot of people you'd interact with are a hybrid of writer/illustrator whose focus is in their comics, rather than novels.

Site is pretty much new, with UI similar to ScribbleHub and RoyalRoad. However, there are a lot of restrictions, just like an exact size for chapter thumbnails (or else your chapter won't upload), a 50 character limit on the chapter and series titles, and a 500 character limit on the 'Author's notes' section. All of that for a pretty low audience turnout.

Well, I'm posting there because I want to support such initiatives from my countrymen.

9) Penana is one of the memorable sites to me. A lot of stories there are fanfics, mostly about BTS (when I was still there).

It's also where I got accused of stealing my own drawing because he saw it in a dream.

Well, those are the sites where I uploaded my works before. Some are still up, others are deleted. By the way, maintaining several story pages in multiple sites can get confusing and exhausting (especially once you do rewrites), so I recommend you keep it in manageable numbers. I know you want to have your work seen by the entire world, but don't end up aiming for multiple birds and shooting yourself in the process.

Last edited by a moderator:

Major2501

I post where I can. This site is my most recent but i'm also on Wattpad and Quotev. Both my stories are original, not fanfics so I reckon they don't bring in as many readers. Well, ones that comment about my stories anyway. 🤔

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
WN contracts are sketchy, so think carefully before signing one of those. Otherwise, do you and expose yourself, er, I mean get exposure, or do both if that's your thing.

placeintime

Yeeting myself out
I think if you're writing an original novel, I think it's good to publish it on two websites first.

The one thing you should look out for is whether or not your book falls into a niche in that website. Like Webnovel, scribblehub, Royalroad, and wattapad each have a audience that caters to a specific niche. So depending on what kind of novel you choose to write, i think choosing aspecific website will help you out.

D

Deleted member 54065

WN contracts are sketchy, so think carefully before signing one of those. Otherwise, do you and expose yourself, er, I mean get exposure, or do both if that's your thing.
Well, it's mostly getting you to do a chapter of 1k words per day at the lowest price they can offer and you can accept (at least, that's what they offered me before, which I instantly rejected).

More than two days of not uploading per month while under contract can be a reason for termination.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
I'm very new in this writing website and most of time writing Fanfic so I don't have problem to post in WN and SH.

But I'm interested to write original novel in the future so I'm wanna ask if good to post in multiple website?

Is there any advantages and disadvantages from your experience?

I heard bad thing if you want contract from WN, so is much better to relied on post in multiple website, and using patreon or paypal or maybe sell in the amazon the digital book like that?
You can't get contract if you write fanfiction. Fanfiction is something like that kid in the corner that everyone borrows homework to copy from but pretty much gets shit from everyone just for existing. Nobody with legal responsibility wants to be associated with fanfiction. Parody is fine, fanfiction not so much. What this means is, 'Hairy Potty and the Philosopher's Shit' is fine, but 'Harry Potter and My Ascendance to Hero of Slytherine' is not.

If you want to make money from your story, posting in multiple websites is a bad idea. It would be fine to post your other stories that you're not making money from to multiple websites in order to get exposure for your money-making story. That being said, there are sites that you don't want to be associated with. Ai-chan will let the dudes here tell you what that website is.

vic20

You can't get contract if you write fanfiction. Fanfiction is something like that kid in the corner that everyone borrows homework to copy from but pretty much gets shit from everyone just for existing. Nobody with legal responsibility wants to be associated with fanfiction. Parody is fine, fanfiction not so much. What this means is, 'Hairy Potty and the Philosopher's Shit' is fine, but 'Harry Potter and My Ascendance to Hero of Slytherine' is not.

If you want to make money from your story, posting in multiple websites is a bad idea. It would be fine to post your other stories that you're not making money from to multiple websites in order to get exposure for your money-making story. That being said, there are sites that you don't want to be associated with. Ai-chan will let the dudes here tell you what that website is.
I think it is sad that fanfic cant be used to make money since there have been some great fanfic that i have read and i also wanted to make