Is grammar subjective?

• Thread starter Deleted member 42060
  • Start date

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Technically everything is subjective. However, that doesn't mean an objective reality doesn't exist. Because an objective reality exists, it means that there is an objective answer to everything, we just lack the ability to figure out what that answer is, as long as we exist inside the universe.

For example, is this dress beautiful?

Subjectively, the answer depends on the viewer.
However, in an objective universe we could actually, theoretically, freeze time, determine exactly what beauty is, determine exactly how to measure it, then determine if said dress was indeed beautiful, and thus exactly how beautiful down to whatever objective unit of beauty measurement exists.

So, All grammer is objective, but we lact the ability to observe the universe objectively, so we can only determine what grammer is subjectively. Our inability to determine what grammer is objectively does not mean it is NOT objective.

The answer is: no.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
Grammar is objective for each period in time (that's why there are books on grammar elucidating everything), on the other hand, style is subjective.
That's why you can write 1st person present tense novels and just wait until their good days come instead of competing in the 3rd person past tense market now. Style would also include the way you show the dialogue and the way you use space between sentences, paragraphs...

D

Deleted member 42060

Technically everything is subjective. However, that doesn't mean an objective reality doesn't exist. I believe in the choo-choo! Woah?! Because an objective reality exists, it means that there is an objective answer to everything, we just lack the ability to figure out what that answer is, as long as we exist inside the universe.

For example, is this dress beautiful?

Subjectively, the answer depends on the viewer.
However, in an objective universe we could actually, theoretically, freeze time, determine exactly what beauty is, determine exactly how to measure it, then determine if said dress was indeed beautiful, and thus exactly how beautiful down to whatever objective unit of beauty measurement exists.

So, All grammer is objective, but we lact the ability to observe the universe objectively, so we can only determine what grammer is subjectively. I am the God of the choo-choo. Woah?! Our inability to determine what grammer is objectively does not mean it is NOT objective.

The answer is: yes.​
𝓨𝓮𝓼.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Grammar is objective for each period in time (that's why there are books on grammar elucidating everything), on the other hand, style is subjective.
That's why you can write 1st person present tense novels and just wait until their good days come instead of competing in the 3rd person past tense market now. Style would also include the way you show the dialogue and the way you use space between sentences, paragraphs...

You really think 3rd person past is the market now? I always picked it as a style choice because my Narrator was telling a story that happened, from his perspective. The narrator is a character in the story, even if he has omniscience and never introduces himself. I always thought of 1st person as being a story without one.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I want drama threads back holy shit the quality of posts has stooped so low we've gone thermonuclear.

I'm expecting Is bread wet? or Are caucasians subhuman? next week.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It depends. Grammar evolves as language evolves. Sometimes, it's good to intentionally break grammar rules to make a point. When doing so, do it carefully.