Is it easy to create Interactive Adult games like Devious world for experienced writers?

newage23

So i am following this interactive adult story game called devious world for almost 2 years but its content update is so slow that makes me wonder is it possible for experienced writers to make interactive games siince they create some 10000 word content/month

Simo

A lazy sloth
So i am following this interactive adult story game called devious world for almost 2 years but its content update is so slow that makes me wonder is it possible for experienced writers to make interactive games siince they create some 10000 word content/month
Not necessarily. Assuming one already has the artist/programmer and all of that, it’s still not easy especially considering the choices and different outcomes you’d like the story to take. So in my opinion, while it would help, its still not easy at all especially with no prior experience in this field.

newage23

Not necessarily. Assuming one already has the artist/programmer and all of that, it’s still not easy especially considering the choices and different outcomes you’d like the story to take. So in my opinion, while it would help, its still not easy at all especially with no prior experience in this field.
Well i also accept you need artist/programmers for VN novels using renpy but this story is made only with twine which is sort of copy/paste software where you only need arrange the choices and their respective paths.But stilll i am wondering how this dude make over above $1000 bucks/monthly in patreon with most of the paths in the story is unfinished and it has very few pictures which looks cheap as hell.

SailusGebel

i am wondering how this dude make over above $1000 bucks/monthly in patreon with most of the paths in the story is unfinished and it has very few pictures which looks cheap as hell.
This dude makes $1000 bucks\monthly the same way some smut authors do.

HappyVainGlory

If you're talking Ren'py/VNs in general, hell no. It's not just writing at that point, but essentially directing a movie with everything you need to consider.

Since you mentioned Twine though... It's easier, but time consuming. Last I checked, there wasn't an easy way to break a script to individual sections. It's still different from writing a normal story though since you have to consider different branch points and essentially write either multiple stories or figure out how to write scenes that don't really split the plot.

newage23

If you're talking Ren'py/VNs in general, hell no. It's not just writing at that point, but essentially directing a movie with everything you need to consider.

Since you mentioned Twine though... It's easier, but time consuming. Last I checked, there wasn't an easy way to break a script to individual sections. It's still different from writing a normal story though since you have to consider different branch points and essentially write either multiple stories or figure out how to write scenes that don't really split the plot
Yes, i agree such games need some more work but i am talking about this game where most of its path is linear and short since most of the routes are unfinished and i guess it wont take a lot to construct.I am just wondering why he has not completed some paths even though it took years where most authors here create thousands of word per month and why people still subscribe to it even though most of the path is still the same as years ago

HappyVainGlory

Yes, i agree such games need some more work but i am talking about this game where most of its path is linear and short since most of the routes are unfinished and i guess it wont take a lot to construct.I am just wondering why he has not completed some paths even though it took years where most authors here create thousands of word per month and why people still subscribe to it even though most of the path is still the same as years ago
You are failing to grasp the fundamental difference between an interactive medium and a normal story. Sure, it's possible to write the same number of words, but for an interactive medium, the work isn't in the words, but in organizing the structures of each path and how they interact.

An important difference is establishing and writing scenes that are common anchor points between varying paths, as well as generally organizing all the different story branches.

I can tell you from personal experience making a Twine game that even two choices per scene can quickly lead to an extremely convoluted graph of scenes that looks like that meme where all the red lines are connected everywhere.

Also, if you're talking about Devious World by Skooma, it is not as linear as it seems to be. The poor guy made the beginner's mistake of underestimating combinatorial explosion. I can guarantee that the work file for that looks like a giant tangled mess of spaghetti. I'd wager that most of the time being spent is sorting out that mess and figuring how to link the different choices back to a coherent story path for each branch and organizing it all.

I'd also wager that the project will never be completed in a lifetime considering just how it keeps growing instead of shrinking.

As to why people still subscribe to it... Well, SailusGebel said it best. Smut is smut, and smut sells, no matter the quality. People will do and pay quite a lot for their kinks.

newage23

Well, thanks for the long answer :) btw i am curious since smut sells did any of the author here tried to make their novels into interactive linear games without choices since that would be very easy to make in twine and even though it wont be hugely popular as the ones with choices, it could still make some extra money and bring some new popularity to the work right?

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
Well i also accept you need artist/programmers for VN novels using renpy but this story is made only with twine which is sort of copy/paste software where you only need arrange the choices and their respective paths.But stilll i am wondering how this dude make over above $1000 bucks/monthly in patreon with most of the paths in the story is unfinished and it has very few pictures which looks cheap as hell.
Just look at Yandev and you’ll understand how.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
That's standard patreon strategy. A few big updates to fish for backers and then a looooooooooooong time of small updates with the longest acceptable time between them. If the maker has some conscience then they end it prematurely and announce a new work when the flow of money ebbs otherwise they just go MIA and do something else under a new name. If they're greedy they work on multiple works at the same time meaning the gaps between updates get bigger. And the really scummy ones just start project after project after project.

It is possible to make good VNs or textgames in a short time, but who would just create a finished product when you can milk people all the way down the creation process.