Is it me or does everyone put on a song for the mood of the book

like if someone is dying and they are saying there goodbyes I would put on a sad song or if there is a angry moment I put on more heavy metal or rock

I listen to a more movie type deal, I don't have words to explain it but I am already weird as it is but the music helps me concentrate. Like this one is loud but gets me into the the whole "Great, now you made him mad, what you going to do now."

Last edited:

EVILATIONS

I don't listen to songs that have words, I use more like a background music
No, like, do you arrive at a section of the book where it's sad, joyous, angry, etc. vibe, stop reading, open whatever music app and put on the song for the occasion, go back to the chapter you were reading, and then continue on?

Lloyd

Professional Writer
I just listen to whatever. Sometimes Kanye albums or whatever other songs and other times white noise raindrops to help me stay focused.

I do not listen to music when writing as it distracts me because I am not use to it. When I read sure, I would put on a soundtrack or something that fits theme of what I'm reading and play it on loop, but definitely not when I write.

RyreGruel

Personally I get immersed into stories to such an extent I often forget to eat or drink so putting on music to suit the mood of the story is both unnecessary for me and takes away from my experience by forcing me return to *shudder* the real world and probably dehydration.

Daitengu

I'm a terrible multi-tasker, so I don't listen to anything while doing something. I either don't hear anything, or I stop working to listen. It's why I'm also bad at keeping a beat.

JM_Webb

Paladin "Enthusiast"
As a person with a degree in music: god no I don't put on any music when I write or read. Too distracting xD

Jemini

like if someone is dying and they are saying there goodbyes I would put on a sad song or if there is a angry moment I put on more heavy metal or rock

It's not just you, but it's not everybody either. In fact, research suggests there is around a 25% reduction in focus and efficiency in mental tasks when you are listening to music, and it has been my experience from previous times this topic has come up that a lot of people have discovered this and often do the more effective thing and have no music when they are writing.

The only real place music has in writing that can improve efficiency is in using music to drown out outside distractions, so it can be rather helpful if you are in a noisy household.

I find from my own experiences that the people who can't stand the silence and have to have music are people who grew up in a large noisy household. Even for these people, their efficiency will be faster if they can drop the music habit and just have a quiet room, but it is similar to trying to stop smoking in that it will actually decrease your efficiency for a brief period of time until you can get used to the quiet.

whitesculptor

The princess whispers & the keyboard clacks.
Requiem from re:zero, any sad piano violin theme works quite well, if I feel like it's bothering my focus I just make it very low or even turn it off, to drag out some inspiration is nice too.
Overall music has to have a specific rhythm and can't be louder than your thoughts otherwise good luck writing.
Cheers

SailusGebel

I listen to whatever I fancy at the moment. If it's a sad moment in the novel yet I listen to drum and bass, well, so be it.

TotallyHuman

It's good to be home.
I don't. I may kill a character (may, hasn't done that yet) if I listen to a song and it puts me in the killing mood (errr.... Believe me, I meant sad mood. Not killing mood) and not once I have written fluffy romance stuff because I listened to a lovely romance song, but I generally write based off of my mood and don't induce mood. I guess it's because I write to let the emotions out rather than commiting to writing in itself.