Is it normal for order of trending to be in flux?

Reisinling

So my story is on trending again (thank you, thank you, I know, i'm amazing) but a funny thing is happening today- every few hours it changes place from 1 to 2, and back. I thought that this list is set in stone at midnight GMT, so it's amusing to see it happening. I was wondering if it is a bug?

The domination of snakes on scribblehub has begun. You cannot stop it! It cannot be stopped! Stop resisting! Smuthub? Snakehub!

Last edited:

hauntedwritings

You'd likely have to wait the person who wrote the code for it to answer. Which, they might not be inclined to do, for several reasons.

From what we know, trending doesn't allow stories to occupy the trending page for extended lengths of time (so that other stories can get attention as well). I suspect that at midnight, a sort of reset occurs - stories that have been high up on trending are 'blacklisted' from showing up, and the trending spot of other stories is calculated. This is likely done by calculating the traffic (?) over the last day(s?). This list is then updated at regular intervals, which may change the positions based on changes in traffic.

Only the programmers will know for sure, what parameters are used and how they are weighted to calculate the position in trending, and how often it's computed.

Localforeigner

I don't get trending at all...like I don't understand what qualifies it. I had a big hit a long time ago and made it to 26 (woot!) but I've never been anywhere near it again, even when I've had much larger (by orders of magnitude) spikes of activity and reads. I just don't get it at all. :blob_pat_sad:

Reisinling

You'd likely have to wait the person who wrote the code for it to answer. Which, they might not be inclined to do, for several reasons.

From what we know, trending doesn't allow stories to occupy the trending page for extended lengths of time (so that other stories can get attention as well). I suspect that at midnight, a sort of reset occurs - stories that have been high up on trending are 'blacklisted' from showing up, and the trending spot of other stories is calculated. This is likely done by calculating the traffic (?) over the last day(s?). This list is then updated at regular intervals, which may change the positions based on changes in traffic.

Only the programmers will know for sure, what parameters are used and how they are weighted to calculate the position in trending, and how often it's computed.
You seem to have misunderstood my question, I know how to get on trending, and I'm on it, the thing i noticed here, and was wondering if it's a bug, is that todays trending spot 1 and 2 are swapping places every few hours, which I've never seen before. Usually, the trending page is set at 00:00 GMT, and no changes are being made.
I don't get trending at all...like I don't understand what qualifies it. I had a big hit a long time ago and made it to 26 (woot!) but I've never been anywhere near it again, even when I've had much larger (by orders of magnitude) spikes of activity and reads. I just don't get it at all. :blob_pat_sad:
For now I would suggest splitting chapters into smaller parts over a course of a day (you seem to average 1700 words, split them into part 1 and part 2, and release both on one day within 1-2 hours, but I advise against going below 800 )

Last edited:

hauntedwritings

You seem to have misunderstood my question, I know how to get on trending, and I'm on it, the thing i noticed here, and was wondering if it's a bug, is that todays trending spot 1 and 2 are swapping places every few hours, which I've never seen before. Usually, the trending page is set at 00:00 GMT, and no changes are being made.
There's no such thing as bugs, only features.
I've seen it happen previously, which is why I suspect it's not a one-time thing (I'll give you however, that they are indeed unlikely to change much). Which makes me believe that stories rising or falling in the rankings of trending might be intended, and not a fluke.
I haven't come across information yet that says the trending ranks are 'set in stone' over the course of the day. Which was the point I was trying to make. However I might be wrong, in which case it's simply a happy, unexpected feature.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
It's probably intended.

Tony doesn't make the criteria to get into trending public, so we can only guess to how exactly it works though.

TunTun

Is likely a bug. But probably only a display bug. That is to say, that the algorithm probably already picked the winners and losers by 0:00 GMT, but then is just displayed wrongly until it actually is shown.

Localforeigner

For now I would suggest splitting chapters into smaller parts over a course of a day (you seem to average 1700 words, split them into part 1 and part 2, and release both on one day within 1-2 hours, but I advise against going below 800 )

Interesting. I hadn't considered that. Maybe I'll try that. Thanks!

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Do anyone know how trending works? Or a tip on how to get a trend on your story?
The exact way Trending works is not available to public so as to avoid having people that game the system.

As for tips... Uploading regularly is the best tip anyone can give. Like... Ideally daily uploads, but a few uploads per week can also work... Weekly uploads or slower have a harder time getting enough readers to reach trending.

Uploading at different hours of the day may also help a bit, since different people log-in at different times, so you might get the attention of more people if your release is at the front page at different times of the day.

... That's about it I guess? The rest is just writing a good story that your readers will enjoy... And well, if you like writing for the popular genres, writing for them will obviously help you out as well, since... Well, they're popular for a reason.

D

Deleted member 45782

So my story is on trending again (thank you, thank you, I know, i'm amazing) but a funny thing is happening today- every few hours it changes place from 1 to 2, and back. I thought that this list is set in stone at midnight GMT, so it's amusing to see it happening. I was wondering if it is a bug?
No idea. No one knows how it truly works aside from the creator.
The domination of snakes on scribblehub has begun. You cannot stop it! It cannot be stopped! Stop resisting! Smuthub? Snakehub!
Sneky sneky shakey snakehub!

I am interested in the question what is normal for trending?

Like not the algorithm, but what people as individuals think should be deciding factors the defining trending.