Is It Normal to Hate Math When You’re an Aspiring Programmer?

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
I just finished graduating high school and am currently applying for a Computer Science bachelor's degree, but I hate the fact that you have to also seriously study math. I know how to program Python, even if it's just the basics of the basics. I can do basic calculations of math and also simple formulas. But when complex math formulas come into the picture, my brain just shuts down and refuses to solve them. It's even worse with physics and chemistry, when I need to solve the formulas, my stress levels just go up and my head hurts. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I can't do math, it's just that I fucking hate solving the complex formulas.

This is probably the reason why I suck at math tests and am good at studying it in class. Maybe I'm too lazy or something, but it feels like I'm not the only one experiencing it.

D

Deleted member 45782

And this is why i chose info systems type thing. Comp sci and engineer is hard. Info Systems depends esp if its put under business. Still math involved, but maybe not as hard as the ones the ones heard in comp sci/etc.

Agentt

Thighs
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
So, programming does indeed require math skills, there are soo many puzzles they ask you to solve. Maths is basically just required to keep your logical reasoning polished.
Hence, the only topics you mostly need to learn are permutations, probabilities, and statistics.

And if you don't like maths, it means your teacher sucks. Ask someone else to teach you, a friend or some guy on youtube

Lord_Drakonus

Connoisseur of Degeneracy
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
So, programming does indeed require math skills, there are soo many puzzles they ask you to solve. Maths is basically just required to keep your logical reasoning polished.
Hence, the only topics you mostly need to learn are permutations, probabilities, and statistics.

And if you don't like maths, it means your teacher sucks. Ask someone else to teach you, a friend or some guy on youtube
Nah, my teacher's actually a really good one. I'm actually really good at studying math, not sure if this was because of my teacher, but it is true that he's actually good at teaching it. Even when I'm doing schoolwork of a math topic, it's always been easy for me to solve. But when I have to do math tests that include different math topics with complex calculations, I just can't man. Maybe I have ADD? I dunno. It just feels like I have to focus on one topic and it feels so hard to suddenly move on to a different one, plus having to calculate lots of things in a different way cause of the different formulas.

Agentt

Thighs
Also Congratulations on graduating, my exams keep on postponing so I am still a high school student even though I was supposed to graduate a month ago.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
I self-studied programming a game using UNITY with the help of youtube tutorials. Studying isn't my forte, I usually make examples of certain lessons so I can get a grasp about it. To begin with, Math becomes difficult because of the teachers assigned to it, or maybe, your brain cells are on the negatives and you don't motivate yourself to understand something. That's usually the case for most people.

Anyway, I stopped learning how to program halfway. If I remember, that was one week of learning, and I already learned how to make a basic game. I am definitely a piece of shit now.
Also Congratulations on graduating, my exams keep on postponing so I am still a high school student even though I was supposed to graduate a month ago.
You don't need to graduate... just experience an endless life at school.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
You don't need to graduate... just experience an endless life at school.
Agentt, professional highschooler. Has an experience of 28 years in high school. Contact now for all your highschool worries
Also, we have Tony! Our all mighty god who created the universe and all who reside in it! The most handsome of all. He too self taught himself programming to create everything.

Motsu

Agentt, professional highschooler. Has an experience of 28 years in high school. Contact now for all your highschool worries
Also, we have Tony! Our all mighty god who created the universe and all who reside in it! The most handsome of all. He too self taught himself programming to create everything.
Time to contact you about how to get 5 girls at once.

Reisinling

I just finished graduating high school and am currently applying for a Computer Science bachelor's degree, but I hate the fact that you have to also seriously study math. I know how to program Python, even if it's just the basics of the basics. I can do basic calculations of math and also simple formulas. But when complex math formulas come into the picture, my brain just shuts down and refuses to solve them. It's even worse with physics and chemistry, when I need to solve the formulas, my stress levels just go up and my head hurts. Don't get me wrong, it's not that I can't do math, it's just that I fucking hate solving the complex formulas.

This is probably the reason why I suck at math tests and am good at studying it in class. Maybe I'm too lazy or something, but it feels like I'm not the only one experiencing it.
Lets ignore math for a moment- I would think twice about getting comp-sci degree due to the "but when complex math formulas come into the picture, my brain just shuts down and refuses to solve them. It's even worse with physics and chemistry, when I need to solve the formulas, my stress levels just go up and my head hurts." - you are describing shit ton of work as SE. Especially at the entry level- even if the problems are not complicated, you are going to be under pressure from managers/clients, while solving a lot of problems, some less some more complicated (not necessarily due to math)

Also, look into software engineering courses instead of CompSci if you don't like math, they tend to have less of it.

I would think twice about choosing this particular path, or look into getting into therapy to help you work on the issue.

Agentt

Thighs
Just did that, and now I had to pay five times for child support.

Bad advice.
Dude, K5Rakitan always says,
If something is giving you problems, put a condom over it. How can you forget that!
And you did get 5 girls, so my work here is done. Another day with justice served

Motsu

Dude, K5Rakitan always says,
If something is giving you problems, put a condom over it. How can you forget that!
And you did get 5 girls, so my work here is done. Another day with justice served
The condom's tip broke off as soon as I sped up—wait, no, come back!

Mihou

Firefly—
Self-taught myself most of my experiences in Programming (can be seen on my Github). I don't really hate math but I also don't love it especially for school since you are doing something that you really don't want to do which makes it boring and annoying, it's a different thing for Programming where you are calculating to make something that you want. That's simply my opinion though.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
The thing is, coding is not programming. Coding is just sitting down at the computer and typing out the given algorithm, pretty much anyone can do it with a month of study or so. Programming, on the other hand, is creating, optimizing and testing algorithms, as well as, maybe coding. For that you will NEED mathematics, so learn to love it.
And complex formulas etc are something you would work with a lot anyway as a SE. If you hate it, I recommend reconsidering doing it, as you aren;t going to get any good results out of it and will just waste your time (and money, depending on where you live)

Ediav42

People don’t like what they don’t understand. Whether that be people or mental subjects.

Motsu

The thing is, coding is not programming. Coding is just sitting down at the computer and typing out the given algorithm, pretty much anyone can do it with a month of study or so. Programming, on the other hand, is creating, optimizing and testing algorithms, as well as, maybe coding. For that you will NEED mathematics, so learn to love it.
Same😩thing😩
People don’t like what they don’t understand. Whether that be people or mental subjects.
I don't understand Aliens, but I don't dislike them. Explain that.

D

Deleted member 29081

Mathematicians hate math.

baduhScribble

You know as someone who is also studying to become a programmer, this forum sure are motivating.:blob_teary::blob_teary::blob_teary: