Is it weird to make an AU of the story you made?

OkuraTsukiko

[Peace was never an option]
I have been thinking a lot lately about this topic. What if I make an Alternate Universe of my current story, change who the story focuses on, and maybe some alternation of the world itself? Would people find it weird? Or would it be like any other story?

What do you guys think?

UYScuti

Helium Fuser
Another world, another galaxy, another universe, alternate reality, isn’t it all the same? It’s not a big deal to take a side character and follow them in an alternate storyline, universe, omegaverse, multi-omegaverse within a different reality on a different plane of existence.

OkuraTsukiko

A whole new universe for me to make, it's gonna be one hell of a story

Reborn_Cat

A lazy cat pretending to be human
I have been thinking a lot lately about this topic. What if I make an Alternate Universe of my current story, change who the story focuses on, and maybe some alternation of the world itself? Would people find it weird? Or would it be like any other story?

What do you guys think?
Nah, even if you are the one writing it, you are free to make an AU.

yansusustories

Matchmaker of Handsome Men
Personally, I don't just think that it's not weird, I'd think it's awesome. If one of my favorite authors did that, I'd pounce on it in a heartbeat! :blob_aww:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
It is the ideal way to capitalise on an already established canon even further. Do you know for example the Fate franchise?

This is what happens when you apply the concept of AU to maximise your profit margin.

ArcanePunkster

Nothing is weird about it as long as you it makes for multiple universes to exist and why. You don't want to make multiple that are suppose to connect one another if none of them share similarities.

Unless you're doing a Final Fantasy style of universes where each installment is a stand-alone story, but share multiple lore such as magic spells, monsters and certain items and materials.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
It is the ideal way to capitalise on an already established canon even further. Do you know for example the Fate franchise?

This is what happens when you apply the concept of AU to maximise your profit margin.

I knew the Fate series was overly convoluted and excessively contradictory....but damn. I once tried to figure out how that series "worked". I spent a few days trying and failing to create some kind of map of how events happened and shape what came next etc....but no. This absurd image you put here is just another example of why I failed. I no longer like the series.

When lust for money gets into a successful series, and THIS sort of nastiness happens, it kills my joy for it. Fate to me is a failure because it was taken too far. I enjoy a AU for an existing series...but they just went too far. Kinda like how DC and Marvel did. I can't even stomach looking at any of them anymore beyond brainless/drool inducing entertainment. They've re-done/retconned practically everything once or twice before, only to either reinstate it later to fit some new storyline, or try and redo it with only the barest changes only noticeable to hardcore fans...which they would then try and resell it for full price. Or they completely remade EVERYTHING so that it only resembled it's former identity in name only. Disgusting. The Fate series is another example of what happens when corporate executives get too much of a fist into the management of a series.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
I knew the Fate series was overly convoluted and excessively contradictory....but damn. I once tried to figure out how that series "worked". I spent a few days trying and failing to create some kind of map of how events happened and shape what came next etc....but no. This absurd image you put here is just another example of why I failed. I no longer like the series.

When lust for money gets into a successful series, and THIS sort of nastiness happens, it kills my joy for it. Fate to me is a failure because it was taken too far. I enjoy a AU for an existing series...but they just went too far. Kinda like how DC and Marvel did. I can't even stomach looking at any of them anymore beyond brainless/drool inducing entertainment. They've re-done/retconned practically everything once or twice before, only to either reinstate it later to fit some new storyline, or try and redo it with only the barest changes only noticeable to hardcore fans...which they would then try and resell it for full price. Or they completely remade EVERYTHING so that it only resembled it's former identity in name only. Disgusting. The Fate series is another example of what happens when corporate executives get too much of a fist into the management of a series.

That is my point, AU is not bad per se, but it is used primarily these days as a shady cash grab by publishers and authors alike to mask their laziness. I would be careful with all kinds of AUs.

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
That is my point, AU is not bad per se, but it is used primarily these days as a shady cash grab by publishers and authors alike to mask their laziness. I would be careful with all kinds of AUs.
I watched....4 different anime's of the Fate series. Read several of the manga/graphic novels. I didn't own them but I knew people who did. The games are another story. And the only one I really and I mean REALLY liked was Fate/Apocrypha. You would be surprised at how unpopular that opinion of mine is. I was kinda surprised at how supposedly disliked it was. The rest were okay...but subpar. I suppose I liked the darker atmosphere of Apocrypha. I kinda wished they would form a continuation of that....but then the Fate series being welll.....the Fate series...they would find a way to ruin that.

OkuraTsukiko

I do recognize that map, I have only heard of it from my BFF IRL. Since he loves and I mean LOVES Fate franchise, and he likes to talk about it. He even plays the game. I also bought him a Fate doujin for his bday.

Even though I don't capture or watch the whole Fate franchise, I do appreciate you giving it as an example :blob_reach: :blob_reach:

CCmei

*feeling called out*
I do see spin-offs of other series, maybe prequels and more. Those tend to do pretty well, but that could just be the ones fans liked and the creators banked on it.

As for AUs of your own series, personally I think they're very fun and helps me in worldbuilding and developing my own characters deeper. Say if my OCs were placed in these aus or situations "How would they react or respond?". I think it really helps makes my characters more realistic and human. And that comes across the screen to the readers.

DevilPogoStick

Yeah, this shouldn't be seen as unusual. It is your stories. Do what you like.

I mean there are moments I imagine my characters meeting and teaming up with various AU versions of themselves to go fight a massive jerk. Haha.