Is there a difference between Dark and Horror?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45782
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45782

I don't want to get confused like how I thought Slice of Life was equated to Modern/Contemporary.

So just wanted to see if there's a difference or is it basically same genre?

I feel dark is one less level down than horror. Idk since I'm not too sure though.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I made an unofficial guide to Scribble Hub's genres here, if you're coming at them for the first time: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/genre-explanations-unofficial.3634/

Novels that are described as "dark" are just stories that focus on darker themes. That usually means centring around heavy topics like trauma and/or the nastier aspects of things (like the grittier parts of war), and typically using a heavy/sombre/pessimistic tone. Novels like these tend to use grey morality more often, too.
This is usually done to explore the topics or wallow in how miserable life can be.

Horror is about scaring people. It's the novel version of a thriller film, really.

D

Deleted member 45782

I made an unofficial guide to Scribble Hub's genres here, if you're coming at them for the first time: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threads/genre-explanations-unofficial.3634/

Novels that are described as "dark" are just stories that focus on darker themes. That usually means centring around heavy topics like trauma and/or the nastier aspects of things (like the grittier parts of war), and typically using a heavy/sombre/pessimistic tone. Novels like these tend to use grey morality more often, too.
This is usually done to explore the topics or wallow in how miserable life can be.

Horror is about scaring people. It's the novel version of a thriller film, really.
Ah I see. Looking through a few quick searches, I see dark is also not exactly horror either.
I guess some of my short stories can be counted as horror then. Didn't feel like they are really horror that scares people, but somewhere around there.

LimitBound

Saint
In my opinion "dark" explores themes as drama, conflicts, betrayals, revenge, depression, suicide. You get the idea (it can still be bloody)

While horror explores things such as horrific monsters, creepy stuff, psychological horror, mind games, fear, gore, cruelty, etc. But that's just how I see it, you can correct me if I'm wrong with some stuff.

Businesssn

Brick-San the god of wholesome hentai
I don't want to get confused like how I thought Slice of Life was equated to Modern/Contemporary.

I feel dark is one less level down than horror. Idk since I'm not too sure though.
Horror is the feeling that makes you scared to read. Dark is like that 8 year old kid was raped constantly every day by his father

Reisinling

five nights at Freddy's, is horror, so is Jason X, or Goosebumps. They are "scary" but when you leave the cinema/computer/tv you might leave happy and satisfied.

Dark makes you lie in bed and want to slice your wrists while listening to russian doom metal.

Note that there are media that are both dark AND horror, like Stephen Kings "Carrie" or Rosemarys Baby

D

Deleted member 45782

Note that there are media that are both dark AND horror, like Stephen Kings "Carrie" or Rosemarys Baby
Maybe I need to read Carrie the novel someday. It doesn't really scream horror to me, but definitely dark and tragic.

PieCoNsUmEr

The Fisher Dragun
Same scenario but one for each:

Horror: Mom was torn away from me in the darkness, I heard her screams weakening, I ran down the hall to her just as the thing finally smashed her lungs.

Dark: He threw me against the wall, stomped on my shin, and kicked my head four times, then he walked back to my mom. I couldn’t stop him long enough, I heard him throw her back to the ground, she was crying, telling him to stop.
thud
thud
thud
Her voice, now gurgling was growing softer. I finally turned my head, and saw her:
Red. Blue. Black. Purple. Her left leg wasn’t strait. Her arms unmoving. He was just sitting on her while his punches slowly became wetter.
A dull crack.
She breathed a shuddering, wispy, strained breath. Then there was sound no longer.

I’m not great at writing, but I think this illustrates the difference. Horror is generally a bit more style of substance, while dark is generally about themes, and substance. Dark also often cynical in its message.

Last edited:

Horizon42

They're similar but Dark is a more of a catch all for a story that uses negative emotions excluding fear. Horror is a novel that uses fear. A story can have both.

D

Deleted member 49654

Let's make this setting:
A small child, maybe around the age of 6 or 7 years old, is being put to sleep by its parents. The bedtime story is over, and the lights turned off. The kid is just about to fall asleep when a strange noise wakes it up. Rubbing its eyes sleepily, the child takes out a small flashlight from under its pillow and creeps toward the edge of the mattress. What it sees underneath the bed is:

Horror: a clown, a monster, a creepy insect, a bowl of the food it hates the most

Dark: the uncle next door, mafioso, its homeroom teacher, its parents' lovers

D

Deleted member 45782

Got it. Thanks everyone. Ik what to tag. Horror can be dark, but dark doesn't mean its horror. It seems like dark can be just shitty grim realistic stuff that happens.

DubstheDuke

I guess dark is more of a theme, really referring to how much evil and suffering is present in a story, whereas horror is more specifically related to either gore or things which are just generally disturbing and terrifying. Not that horror necessarily has to have gore, but I can't really imagine a horror novel not having gore. Either way, horror novel is supposed to scare the viewer. Dark novels aren't necessarily trying to do that.