Is there a way to learn more about 1 star reviews

DetectiveRed

I write trans fiction and for the life of me, I can't understand how there are 3 one-star reviews. Is it because it's got trans characters in it? I want to know if I'm doing something wrong but these 1-star reviews don't help with that? I want to make my writing better. But there's nothing I can do to learn about it and when I ask people who have read my work they say its likely because of the trans aspect of the story/

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I write trans fiction and for the life of me, I can't understand how there are 3 one-star reviews. Is it because it's got trans characters in it? I want to know if I'm doing something wrong but these 1-star reviews don't help with that? I want to make my writing better. But there's nothing I can do to learn about it and when I ask people who have read my work they say its likely because of the trans aspect of the story/
Well either your writing is shit or people are just being transphobic pieces of shit. Personally i think trans people just got either mental illnesses to be worked out, or want attention, but fuck it to each their own. Plus, despite that i also think (cute) chicks with dicks are hot and traps are god's most beautiful question marks.

That aint a reason to hate, ya know? Link me what ya got fam and i'll give you my honest opinion. If its shitty, i'll at least let ya know how. Cuz ya cant get better if people coddle you, eh? But yeah its prolly just cuz some didnt like the trans aspect. Which is weird cuz traps are so popular here.

I wouldnt worry about it.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Wait hold i searched myself. And what the fuck dude dude you got like 11 five star reviews tho?

My man(woman. Whatever. Im just gonna use whatever pronoun i want) you cant expect everyone to like your stuff. There are stories here im sure are tones better thsn yours and people STILL leave bad 1 star reviews for them. Know why? Cuz they just pissy little cunts.

Dont bother tryna figure it out. Either they really are just transphobes or they are just nitpicky assholes. Either way its not your fault.

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Well, I am not cupcake, but random one stars do happen. And can happen for no particular reason, in the end, you are bound to get them everyone is. As far as writing goes, well... I have personally found success in re-reading my work and analyzing it, what is it that makes it come off as this, instead of this? That's the type of thing that helps, what do you want to express with your writing? Can you reread it and think you succeeded? There is as many variables in writing as there is in any other art. There is no entirely right way or wrong way to do things.

In the end, it all comes down to the desire to improve and looking at your own work. Regardless, one stars are not something you have to take too personal. My story got four 1 stars on the same day due to the protagonist not having plot armor, in the end, we cannot please anyone. Just keep writing and focus on improving if that's what you want. If you want specific feedback ratings might not be the best way to go. Find someone that in your eyes is better at writing than you are, and ask them for advice. You'd be surprised at how much they have to say.

Last edited:

DetectiveRed

in the end, we cannot please anyone. Just keep writing and focus on improving if that's what you want. If you want specific feedback ratings might not be the best way to go. Find someone that in your eyes is better at writing than you are, and ask them for advice. You'd be surprised at how much they have to say.
Thank you I needed something like that. I have been asking a lot of people who I respect a lot. They have given me a lot of ideas on how to improve my writing. The thing that bothered me was at this point I'm kinda happy with how my writing is and random one-star reviews just kinda freak me out. I need to thicken my skin I guess

Arkus86

Honestly, if you're bothered by a 4.1 rating overall on a topic that is still... highly controversial among some cultures and groups, you are on the wrong site.
As mentioned above, you won't find a story here that does not have any 1-star ratings, other that those that barely have any ratings at all. You can't please everyone and sometimes people are just a**holes.
Also sometimes they treat the ratings as just like/dislike, and nothing but 1 and 5-star ratings matters to them.

CL

That does suck. I know dysphoria already creates self-doubt, but from those who sharply poke their low one-star at you for having "disagreeable" content, it hastens that sinking feeling. You don't have to do this, maybe should (imo, at the very least), ask an administrator (Tony?) to take a look and see if one of the users is a regular who rates low for those kind of stories. If it is a regular bigot, that still won't permanently solve the problem of receiving one star reviews, but like a garden, the gardener needs look and know the difference between flowers and weeds to keep this place looking pretty.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Possibly because none of my characters are designed to be traps?
So? The character isna dude who became a girl and has the mind of a man who basically still identifies as a man. That still qualifies as trap status. Kinda. To other people, at least. Kinda.

But maybe its just the word? I found that people can accept traps, but once the word trans comes into play people get all weird and opinionated.

Well, I am not cupcake
Im not sure what that means or if its good or bad. But i will take it...in a good way? dont give up. Dont let dreams be dreams. You can be me, too. We can be me together, you and me

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Honestly, if you're bothered by a 4.1 rating overall on a topic that is still... highly controversial among some cultures and groups, you are on the wrong site.
As mentioned above, you won't find a story here that does not have any 1-star ratings, other that those that barely have any ratings at all. You can't please everyone and sometimes people are just a**holes.
Also sometimes they treat the ratings as just like/dislike, and nothing but 1 and 5-star ratings matters to them.
Nah this site--least the parent site NU--talks about controversial stuff all the time. Least we used to. That aint the problem. Like you said tho if you get all worked up over a few had reviews...then i mean what are ya doing here fam? I dont wanna sound mean but anyone who cant take some shit said or done by random people online are wayyy too fragile for the internet to begin with. I dont got any sympathy for em either. They needs to grow some balls, know what saiyan? Or a pussy, now that i think of it. Cuz pussy OP, bout as durable as a Nokia. While balls curl up in pain from a tiny flick. But i digress.

Lotta authors tend to take bad reviews so damn personally and get discouraged Pansies, every one of them. You wanna improve yourself, you do it through fire 🔥

CL

So? The character isna dude who became a girl and has the mind of a man who basically still identifies as a man. That still qualifies as trap status. Kinda. To other people, at least. Kinda.

Forgive me for throwing this at you. It is not meant as an attack or anything like that. I just thought that the description you put there was a little more than "kinda" off the mark. Feel free to argue about this but I don't really have any authority to persuade anybody differently. In other words, my point is weak with this single source material, I'll default in any argument over this, and let you be. All good, Cupcake? :blob_sir:

Trap: A crossdresser, usually a fictional character in an anime, who dresses up in the opposite gender's clothing to trick people into thinking that they're the opposite gender. Term comes from the anime trope of a character dressing up in drag to trick people into thinking that they're the opposite gender.

Not to be confused with transgenderism, which is a person transitioning to the opposite gender.
(Source: Urban Dictionary)

Arkus86

Nah this site--least the parent site NU--talks about controversial stuff all the time. Least we used to. That aint the problem. Like you said tho if you get all worked up over a few had reviews...then i mean what are ya doing here fam? I dont wanna sound mean but anyone who cant take some shit said or done by random people online are wayyy too fragile for the internet to begin with.
Yea, more or less what I tried to say. Once you go public, you are bound to get some negative reception either way, and especially on a topic like this you should expect it. And while I hear it's not nearly as bad here as on Royal Road for example, this is ultimately not a place dedicated primarily to transgender content and there are bound to be some haters lurking around.

Suryae

Dismembered
If someone give you 1 star but they didn't leave a review, just treat their 1 stars as a miss click, for your own sanity.

Kotohood

Noob Author
My advice is to just suck it up and accept it.

Think of it as some rites of success. You gained haters.

Edit:unless of course your story is really bad or something. Then it's different. But please do continue to suck it up and accept it.

RaidenInfinity

One who draws catgirls
Rating =/= Review.
You don't need effort to give ratings. Heh, probably someone just saw your cover picture, saw your title, and boom, 1 star without even checking its contents. (That's why ratings are generally useless except for extreme cases when 1~2 star > 3~5 stars, which most likely will happen on stories with unintelligible writing) Written reviews are another thing though, since you can actually see the reasoning.

And trust me, SH can be said as a relatively safe haven for such stories. If you dare, try RR out and you won't just get anonymous ratings but written reviews that berate you for even writing this.

Conclusion: Just continue write your thing and improve yourself. Just do it. Don't let haters discourage you. Instead, go all out and make them even angrier. Make them get brain aneurysm and then a stroke. Cater to the correct target audience.

Last edited:

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Forgive me for throwing this at you. It is not meant as an attack or anything like that. I just thought that the description you put there was a little more than "kinda" off the mark. Feel free to argue about this but I don't really have any authority to persuade anybody differently. In other words, my point is weak with this single source material, I'll default in any argument over this, and let you be. All good, Cupcake? :blob_sir:

Trap: A crossdresser, usually a fictional character in an anime, who dresses up in the opposite gender's clothing to trick people into thinking that they're the opposite gender. Term comes from the anime trope of a character dressing up in drag to trick people into thinking that they're the opposite gender.

Not to be confused with transgenderism, which is a person transitioning to the opposite gender.
(Source: Urban Dictionary)
Good point actually. I feel there isnt much of a difference to "other people" tho. The difference sounds more internal, with the intention or mindest of the person crossdressing or considering themselves of the opposite gender in which they were born. Im pretty sure trans people dont gotta go through the actual operation to consider themselves trangender?

This aint an argument either btw, just statin' my take in it. I COULD argue on it cuz i like arguing with people( i can argue about anything really even if i dont agree with what in arguing for or against. I guess i just find it fun.) but since you dont wanna i wont either.

It wasn a real polite way of saying it too, that you didnt wanna argue.

Reactions: CL

DetectiveRed

Conclusion: Just continue write your thing and improve yourself. Just do it. Don't let haters discourage you. Instead, go all out and make them even angrier. Make them get brain aneurysm and then a stroke. Cater to the correct target audience.
I am going to make it even more aggressively trans. More gay. I will make them angry.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
My advice is to just suck it up and accept it.

Think of it as some rites of success. You gained haters.

Edit:unless of course your story is really bad or something. Then it's different. But please do continue to suck it up and accept it.
Nah he's good. I did read some of his work. Not bad at all. So yup. Haters. Cant live without em

Kldran

Everything I've written with the gender bender tag has 1 star ratings. Everything I've written that doesn't have it, does not. I assume it's just people on a crusade, and ignore them. If anything, the number of them is a sign of how widely seen it is.