Is there a way to learn more about 1 star reviews

CautiousTitan

Tentacle, Merchant, and Telekinesis Expert
DetectiveRed. After reading over the replies to your question, I surprisingly didn't hear this one: (Good Guy reply btw)

Just Keep Writing! I'm known for a saying: "Honestly, Books shouldn't take themselves too seriously. Mine don't!"

I always hate to see threads like this because writing should be about having fun! Don't take yourself so seriously. Now, I'm not saying that the 1-star reviews are useless metrics but you have to realize that controversial topics will never gain the type of ratings that regular books have. They are meant to be revolutionary. That means that it'll be hated for now. BUT your objective should be to put out your best work and let the haters disappear. My first One-Star for OP Paladin was on Royal Road (Known for being highly critical anyway) and I read the review over and over again. Thanks to that One-Star Review, I greatly overhauled my book and now my book is trending on Webnovel and SH. This is my first book and I'm still learning but the fact that I made the trending list showed just how powerful negative reviews can be. Work Hard, Smart, and Consistenly on your book to make sure that you get way more 5's than 1's. Outwork the haters.

Moral Of The Story? Ignore the extra stuff and put out the content that the readers followed you for!

Last edited:

Ram5

I write trans fiction and for the life of me, I can't understand how there are 3 one-star reviews. Is it because it's got trans characters in it? I want to know if I'm doing something wrong but these 1-star reviews don't help with that? I want to make my writing better. But there's nothing I can do to learn about it and when I ask people who have read my work they say its likely because of the trans aspect of the story/
The same thing also happened to me, in fact, it's quite strange, on the same day, not even an hour, I got both good rating and the 1-star rating, it felt to me like the rater said, 'What the F you got good rating, no, this is not acceptable, you must fall!!!!!'

Anyway, don't mind too much about it, I mostly pay attention to readers, people who bookmark your novel, they are those who curious and interested with your novel.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
It's like a thing that will forever happen. Like a dislike on a Bob Ross video. There will always be one contrarian who thinks it's cool to simply sit on the other side of the fence without even thinking about it.

It's probably not even about the fact you write trans story. The guys probably saw the lack of a one-star and just felt like fucking shit up because the only way to pent their sexual urges is to watch the world burn.

I'm not saying the -phobics don't exist. I'm just saying hey, shit happens. At some point, you'll get an unexplained one star that will just leave you baffling. Look this in another way: you managed to capture a person's attention so much with your writing that the guy is willing to drop a negative review.

If anything, you're doing something right. So walk it off, it's nothing.

blair

I write trans fiction and for the life of me, I can't understand how there are 3 one-star reviews. Is it because it's got trans characters in it? I want to know if I'm doing something wrong but these 1-star reviews don't help with that? I want to make my writing better. But there's nothing I can do to learn about it and when I ask people who have read my work they say its likely because of the trans aspect of the story/
Some readers are assholes.
This morning, my novel hadn't been on the site for a minute when two 1-star votes appeared simultaneously.

There are 2 of us in this case, so there's no need to ask too many questions. Two idiots pass by and voilà, they ruin two authors out of sheer meanness.

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
hmmm they do usually happens if the novel has a BL theme or something along those lines. And yeah even with trans aspect.
It's quite common on NU

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
Everything I've written with the gender bender tag has 1 star ratings. Everything I've written that doesn't have it, does not. I assume it's just people on a crusade, and ignore them. If anything, the number of them is a sign of how widely seen it is.
Just ignore them. There's a lot of trigger happy people whenever they see a tag that they didn't like then they would give it an automatic 1 star rating even though they're not the targeted audiences for those novels

Elerya

Well if only people could act a bit more on the ignore rather than just harass and give bad ratings. I just ignore stuff I don't particularly have an interest.

bjwebb

Ugh. I just suddenly got 3 1-star ratings all in a row on my BL romance. So frustrating.

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
Ugh. I just suddenly got 3 1-star ratings all in a row on my BL romance. So frustrating.
You should try reporting the incident to Tony. I know that one of the authors here got four 1-star ratings, reported it to Tony, and Tony verified that someone made multiple accounts just to rating bomb.

Unless you did something special to have people hate you, 3 1-star ratings all of a sudden is suspicious

DetectiveRed

You should try reporting the incident to Tony. I know that one of the authors here got four 1-star ratings, reported it to Tony, and Tony verified that someone made multiple accounts just to rating bomb.

Unless you did something special to have people hate you, 3 1-star ratings all of a sudden is suspicious
Im not sure how to do that and i dont think its rating eilll turn people off at least for now.

Nanakawaichan

I also kinda confused with ratings. I realized when someone give me 5* ratings they not updated on time even they member since 2019(before I joined this website). When they give me 3* rating they just update it on time even it's from new member. Like he/she joined today, and he/she stumbled my story and hate it somehow.

Polarize4777

There should be a restriction that enforce a form of comment that is require before a 1 star rating can be apply to the book in question.

weakwithwords

discord-less mudblood
// (blair): Some readers are assholes.

Some assholes are readers. Most assholes don't bother reading.

All your stars are belong to us.

Imagine members receiving 3 daily stars bankable to a maximum of 31. A rater has to spend 1 star to make a 1-star rating, 2 stars to make a 2-star rating, and so on. This setup makes it trivial to troll 1-star ratings and harder to game 5-star ones.

Imagine members receiving 2 daily stars bankable to a maximum of 31. A rater has to spend 3 stars for any rating. Hmm, mm-hmm.

Imagine members receiving 1 daily star bankable to a maximum of 31. A rater has to spend 5 stars to make a 1-star rating, 4 stars to make a 2-star rating, and so on. This setup makes it trivial to game 5-star ratings and harder to troll 1-star ones.

Imagine there's no ratings
It's easy to describe
All's well below us
Above us only pride

Imagine all the authors
writing for nothing

mangled from Imagine by John Lennon

No actual ⭐ was used in the making of this post.

Bugi

I got 2 - 1 star reviews... I don't really mind, as long as people enjoy my story.

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
I got 2 - 1 star reviews... I don't really mind, as long as people enjoy my story.
I think you only got those because your story was in the "Trending." I don't agree with that at all.

Friend

... well am I? or not?
Maybe if Tony were to insert an automatic "did you really mean to leave 1 star" query to the viewers doing this, the trend would decrease?

Although it would be better if those readers simply edit their Release Filtering to skip display of series genres they do not want to see. Boys Love, Girls Love, Gender swap, etc. (not sure it works on Trending section.)

Rellawing

Optimistic Kitten
Actually, Royal Road does something really interesting. If you haven't read enough of a story, you can't review over there, nor rate it. It's a good attempt to try to make every rating given is done earnestly, no matter how many stars are given. :blobthumbsup:

How could one guarantee or verify that someone read a given story? 🤔

Maybe if an author sets up security questions, that would help. :blob_dizzy: But it would be a lot of trouble for authors to keep adding questions. :sweating_profusely: What I mean is like a sort of like a quiz for leaving a review or a rating to show that a reader knows the story well enough to pass it, nya ... but ... :blob_hmm:

Too much work, maybe. :blob_sweat: For everyone involved! 🤣

So I still wonder, how could we guarantee the sincerity of any given review or rating? :blob_unsure:

If it's impossible to fix, there's always the old tradition: Ignore it! :blob_salute: :blob_whistle_two: