is there any lovecraftian horror game that doesn't suck Mariana meatballs

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
why is it when someone tries to make a lovecraftian game they always end up with Cuthulu and making him some bald guy with tentacle fetishes that undersells the entire point of his existence. there's better lovecraftian lore out there but they keep gunning for the most overplayed and overdone troupe of his genre

"Alright guys we're making a lovecraft game, what do we put in it?"

"How about the great race of Yith who gathered infinite knowledge by switching mind with being from the future?"

"How about the desertic land of Antarctica and its lost city once inhabited by a prehistoric alien race?"

"DUUUUDE CTHULHU LMAO LET'S FUCKING PUT TENTACLES ON THAT SHID WHO CARES ABOUT ITS THEMES JUST GIVE IT A LOW REZ MODEL AND GIVE PLAYERS BIG HOOGABOOLOO EFFECTS WHEN THEY LOOK AT IT YEAH ELDRITCH HORROR"

lovecraftian isn't horror but an aesthetic at this point

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Call of Cthulhu, The Sinking City, Sunless Sea

Also, not really Lovecraftian but close enough: Darkest Dungeon, World of Horror

Pharaoh

Darkest Dungeon is Lovecraftian I'd say, in a lot of good ways. The antiquated, overdone language being one of my favorite things about it. But it also does cosmic horror some justice with how it handles themes, and the mixture of other beasts and nasties is a worthy representation of the nebulousness of the mythos.

Cultist Simulator, though, for me has been the purest experience of a glimpse into madness.