Writing Is this alright?

Esmeralda

Hello! I'm a new author and I need help with synopsis. Due to my lack of experience I'm not sure if this is an alright synopsis. Can anyone please help me?

The synopsis:

The ministers of the Empire were worried for their unmarried empress Alicia Cryfton. Despite their worries, they had no guts to dare speak their worries out loud infront of the cold, vain Alicia.

Minister 1 : Her Majesty needs a husband or else we won't have a successor to the throne!

Minister 2 : Hah! You fool, do you think we could force her majesty to marry a man.

Minister 1 : you're right. What do we do?

Minister 3 : Ay, how about we hire a "secretary" for her majesty?

Alicia, sneezing : ???
----
A few days later

The adorable prince : I want to apply for the secretary position.

Minister 1, whispering to minister 3 : he's a beautiful man, but can he seduce her majesty?

Minister 3, whispering to minister 1 : who cares? He is the only applicant! Everyone is either too afraid or respects her majesty too much to apply for this position!

Minister 2 : why do you want to apply for this position?

The adorable prince : I have been in love with her majesty Alicia since my childhood.

All 3 ministers, screaming internally with happiness : you're hired.

Alicia : why did I suddenly get an ominous feeling?

End of synopsis

Uhm I was going for the casual romance story, does this summary give off that feeling? Or should I change it up?

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
I feel like it might be too long for a synopsis. If you still want to go for the Chinese "A says, B says" thing, I'd suggest keeping it to four or five exchanges - maybe don't use it for the ministers' original exchanges, and simplify the second lot?

You still have to entice the readers to read your summary. If they perceive it as a long wall of text, they might decide it's not worth it.

Esmeralda

I feel like it might be too long for a synopsis. If you still want to go for the Chinese "A says, B says" thing, I'd suggest keeping it to four or five exchanges - maybe don't use it for the ministers' original exchanges, and simplify the second lot?

You still have to entice the readers to read your summary. If they perceive it as a long wall of text, they might decide it's not worth it.
You're right! Thank you for the help 😊 I'll change it to a normal format.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
You failed me at the very first word.

The ministers of the Empire were worried for their unmarried empress
There is where I immediately scrolled down.

I didn't even bother reading the rest because immediately I see words getting thrown around more frequently than Twitter checkmarks.

"Ministers", "Empire", "mistress".

Even if I'm on a good day, I wouldn't even bother reading the dialogue because if the first sentence doesn't entice me, why else should I expect the rest to do so?

The first sentence should instantly be a hook. Instead of just "empires and ministers and mistresses", go for a quote. An interesting analogy. Hell, go for word changes.

The mistress isn't married and everyone's freaking out.

I'm not saying I'm half a Stephen King, but I'd much rather read this than that.

Just... try not to do dialogue on your synopsis. I want to know what's going to happen, not what's going on.

Esmeralda

You failed me at the very first word.

There is where I immediately scrolled down.

I didn't even bother reading the rest because immediately I see words getting thrown around more frequently than Twitter checkmarks.

"Ministers", "Empire", "mistress".

Even if I'm on a good day, I wouldn't even bother reading the dialogue because if the first sentence doesn't entice me, why else should I expect the rest to do so?

The first sentence should instantly be a hook. Instead of just "empires and ministers and mistresses", go for a quote. An interesting analogy. Hell, go for word changes.

The mistress isn't married and everyone's freaking out.

I'm not saying I'm half a Stephen King, but I'd much rather read this than that.

Just... try not to do dialogue on your synopsis. I want to know what's going to happen, not what's going on.
Sorry, I'm not really experienced in writing. I'll try to change into something more interesting. Thank you for the help!

sak-chii

Professional Procrastinator (Writer)
Before I'm an author, I'm a reader. I love romance novels and if ya striking for that, I'll read it

But (this is from my view of being picky aka, I read base on how interesting the synopsis is)

Your synopsis is long it's kinda making me los and how to phrase it? Kinda feeling like I'm reading a prologue or sth? I don't see what's to be expected or what's the story going to be about.

Generally speaking, a synopsis is simple and concise, telling the target readers what they can expect or raising their curiosity. The synopsis is something that draws the reader's attention
(what I believe)

But I follow what the other 2 stated

It's ok to be long but. I never seen any synopsis that long + even if it's long, it should kinda be interesting so as to say?

What am I talking about idk. But writing is always learning. You are always learning something new. You'll get the hang of it I believe. Good luck tho

sak-chii

@Esmeralda you know copyrights? This might be helpful to you once ya publishing your story.

I should prolly search up on threads about synopsis writing and write advice in it. With collars from other writers as well. :blob_hmm:

sak-chii

Sorry, I'm not really experienced in writing. I'll try to change into something more interesting. Thank you for the help!
Hopefully this is a good motivation? Idk how to motivate ppl so sorry if it's not.
My believe is that everyone is inexperienced at first. Itll just take time to grow and learn

I have several stories written and my writing styles are getting better and better as I learn. You can see my "Kamisama gakuen@armeria fanic" which is my very first series I wrote when I was about 14 idr having the worst writing style and ability.

I progressed slowly from there. Everything is learning. Dont put yourself down. And throughout your journey, you'll face lots of worries like "whether your readers like it", and thoughts like "they dont like your story" "let's quit since no one read it" etc

(Base on what I experienced when I first started and another friend who's on the same journey and is at that stage)

But one thing is, if you enjoy your story. And keep on improving yourself, dont give up, your readers will love it too. Write for you and your readers. My believers is that before we are a writer, we are a reader too.

Constantly read your story and learn how you can improve your story that's one way. If theres not much readers, find ways to garner their interest.

Itll be sad to see a potential writer stop writing before s/he start. Join SH discord and feel free to talk to me. "Ange"

Last edited:

Arexio

Coffee Addict
@sak-chii Lol Ange, chill.

I know you're excited to help new authors and mean well, but I don't know if double-posting is the way to go.

P.S. - next chapter when? :blob_popcorn: :blob_popcorn: :blob_popcorn:

sak-chii

@sak-chii Lol Ange, chill.

I know you're excited to help new authors and mean well, but I don't know if double-posting is the way to go.

P.S. - next chapter when? :blob_popcorn: :blob_popcorn: :blob_popcorn:

W. WHO says I'm excited?:sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

I written 2 chapters. Taku reviewing them but hes not feeling that well I believe

P.S its 4 post. Not only 2. :blob_unamused:

Esmeralda

Hopefully this is a good motivation? Idk how to motivate ppl so sorry if it's not.
My believe is that everyone is inexperienced at first. Itll just take time to grow and learn

I have several stories written and my writing styles are getting better and better as I learn. You can see my "Kamisama gakuen@armeria fanic" which is my very first series I wrote when I was about 14 idr having the worst writing style and ability.

I progressed slowly from there. Everything is learning. Dont put yourself down. And throughout your journey, you'll face lots of worries like "whether your readers like it", and thoughts like "they dont like your story" "let's quit since no one read it" etc

(Base on what I experienced when I first started and another friend who's on the same journey and is at that stage)

But one thing is, if you enjoy your story. And keep on improving yourself, dont give up, your readers will love it too. Write for you and your readers. My believers is that before we are a writer, we are a reader too.

Constantly read your story and learn how you can improve your story that's one way. If theres not much readers, find ways to garner their interest.

Itll be sad to see a potential writer stop writing before s/he start. Join SH discord and feel free to talk to me. "Ange"
Wow, you're so nice :( I'm very decent at writing, I'm just really very bad at summaries because all my essays never required a summary.

I was honestly thinking of not publishing this story but yknow like you said I'm gonna improve to something better over the years and this is just gonna be a part of it :)

NiQuinn

ฅ/ᐠ ̳ .ᆺ. ̳ ᐟ\ฅ ~~ᴺʸᵃᵃ
The dialogue makes it look long but I checked and you're not even passing 200 in word count which is still good. It does tell the story of what a reader should expect. But, personally, as a passerby, I'd leave seeing the dialogue set up. I've seen a lot of that from CN novels and it puts me off. That being said though, again, your synopsis works well. It gives setting, characters, and vibe of the story. Now, it's up to you if you still want to have it fixed or keep it as is.

sak-chii

Wow, you're so nice :( I'm very decent at writing, I'm just really very bad at summaries because all my essays never required a summary.

I was honestly thinking of not publishing this story but yknow like you said I'm gonna improve to something better over the years and this is just gonna be a part of it :)

I knew it! I knew you were thinking whether or not to publish it!!! As I said. It may take months or years or several series to improve. I have 5 series in total and I've been improving myself with each series. XP

Sorry. I ain't good in English. It's my second subject. So pls dont mind the grammar

LostinMovement

Hi and welcome aboard SH @Esmeralda :blob_party:
There is nothing to fear, no one is born Shakespeare. We all improve through errors and trials. Even negative feedback is beneficial in its own way. Think of publishing something you're not sure of as an experience. You will learn many things through it and eventually it will pay off by making you a better writer. So, keep at it ! :blobthumbsup:

sak-chii

Glad that you are going to publish it. Dont be scared and dont pull yourself down no matter the number of views you get. Just strike yourself to improve.

tak

remember, you're writing a webnovel and you can edit the synopsis again.
There are writers that edit the whole novel too.
This doesn't have to be perfect now. You can edit it again