Isekai that You Think Would've Been Better Without the Transmigration Part?

Macha

Not a Klutz
I saw this comment on one of the posts where someone mentioned how a particular Isekai would've been better without the reincarnation part and this really got my brain, which is usually inactive, working for once. So a big thanks to the person who talked about this.

Anyways, there are some Isekai that i think would actually be great, not just good, without the transmigration part. Like 'Common Sense of the Duke's Daughter'.

I know that the FL uses a lot of information from the modern capitalistic society there, but it would've been better if the FL had instead been reincarnated as a baby, because transmigration doesn't really explain her being hurt by other characters as if she has actually been with them her entire life.

It was the same with 'Duchess' 50 Tea Recipes'. It was just nonsensical. It would've been way better as a normal slice of life like some Japanese mangas with similar tropes. I read a manga about a woman who opens a bar stall on the street at night after her day job gets over. It was unrealistic but 50 tea recipes would've been better that way.

I know that the rofan element in that manhwa was just to sell it more, so i blame the publishing company for this.
These are just two that i can remember from the top of my head, but there are more than these.

Simultaneously, there are those Isekai that do the transmigration trope better like, 'Death is the Only Snding' where Penelope's first instinct is to get out of the game or in 'I'll Just Live on as the Villainess' where the FL isn't strangely attached to all the characters and decides to live in solitude. Or even the explanation in 'I'm a Villainess Can I Die' made sense to me as i could make a proper theory out of it.

Maybe it's the publishing companies trying to force authors to add reincarnation/transmigration in their stories since they sell better, but i think it's sad that these same things destroy what could've otherwise been good stories.

I mean, what's the point in adding this unneeded element, if you don't have an explanation for it? "Her memories and emotions fused with mine and i could feel that she's crying inside of me", like what? You just trapped a character inside of their own body so you could reincarnate a 30 yo depressed, stressed out woman inside their 15 yo body and make that little girl watch how this woman is getting everyone's attention and love while she's in there feeling miserable.

And miraculously, at one point in the story, this transmigrated woman feels a bit guilty and the og owner of the body just tells her, "Girl, don't be sad. I'm happy". Like.... Wtf? This is how villains are created, but here, this person isn't even being given a chance to become the villain.

LORD_SHAXX

i assume they put it in because the genre is popular. And allows for wider reach without the author having to change much, if anything of the original story. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any isekai stories that would be better with or without it because the story still will still mostly be the same.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I saw this comment on one of the posts where someone mentioned how a particular Isekai would've been better without the reincarnation part and this really got my brain, which is usually inactive, working for once. So a big thanks to the person who talked about this.

Anyways, there are some Isekai that i think would actually be great, not just good, without the transmigration part. Like 'Common Sense of the Duke's Daughter'.

I know that the FL uses a lot of information from the modern capitalistic society there, but it would've been better if the FL had instead been reincarnated as a baby, because transmigration doesn't really explain her being hurt by other characters as if she has actually been with them her entire life.

It was the same with 'Duchess' 50 Tea Recipes'. It was just nonsensical. It would've been way better as a normal slice of life like some Japanese mangas with similar tropes. I read a manga about a woman who opens a bar stall on the street at night after her day job gets over. It was unrealistic but 50 tea recipes would've been better that way.

I know that the rofan element in that manhwa was just to sell it more, so i blame the publishing company for this.
These are just two that i can remember from the top of my head, but there are more than these.

Simultaneously, there are those Isekai that do the transmigration trope better like, 'Death is the Only Snding' where Penelope's first instinct is to get out of the game or in 'I'll Just Live on as the Villainess' where the FL isn't strangely attached to all the characters and decides to live in solitude. Or even the explanation in 'I'm a Villainess Can I Die' made sense to me as i could make a proper theory out of it.

Maybe it's the publishing companies trying to force authors to add reincarnation/transmigration in their stories since they sell better, but i think it's sad that these same things destroy what could've otherwise been good stories.

I mean, what's the point in adding this unneeded element, if you don't have an explanation for it? "Her memories and emotions fused with mine and i could feel that she's crying inside of me", like what? You just trapped a character inside of their own body so you could reincarnate a 30 yo depressed, stressed out woman inside their 15 yo body and make that little girl watch how this woman is getting everyone's attention and love while she's in there feeling miserable.

And miraculously, at one point in the story, this transmigrated woman feels a bit guilty and the og owner of the body just tells her, "Girl, don't be sad. I'm happy". Like.... Wtf? This is how villains are created, but here, this person isn't even being given a chance to become the villain.
it doesnt have anything to do withe the story itself and is only vaguely spoken about once....but Battle Through The Heavens' MC is a reincarnator from Earth

Its used to explain how he has a stronger soul and was more mature than other kids his age, because he used that power to somehow help one of the heroines as a child and also how he was able to be so talented as an alchemist.

Anyway, he doesn't seem to really remember much of anything about that life, but...man, it kinda fucks with the story because it was just thrown in there for those arbitrary reasons and then forgotten about. Like, to be honest the story would've been fine without it. Those reasons it was used for? Coulda been done without it. But it would've also probably been a BETTER story if it was included more. Just to give the MC more life experience to start with and make him have to deal with the dichotomy between his old world's ideals and his current one's.

The thing shouldnt have been used at all, but it was and was never followed through on so it kinda made me question some of his actions throughout the story. Like, "how can you allow that kind of shit? Why are you acting so childish?"

Thing is i cant even remember the scenes that made me think that so i kinda feel bad even talking about the dude like this

TroubleFait

One strong point going for isekais is that there can be a clash of cultures and morality, as well as a sentiment of wonder or horror witnessing the new world. Sure, that can be accomplished by a storyline similar to Luke Skywalker's to great success, but sometimes your worldbuilding won't allow it and you need someone so outside of the world's context, that isekai is the way to go. It also facilitates connection with the audience in a more intimate way than with Luke Skywalker.

Take Narnia, take Harry Potter, they use our world as the baseline for how wondrous the other world is. In a way Chihiro didn't need to be from the modern, normal world, but the movie plays well on that touch. We connect easily to her, and we understand that the world of Spirited Away is a magical world, not the normal world of the setting.

Last examples of isekais I liked, Tanya Degurechaff from Youjo Senki has a fascinating personality that wouldn't be so impressive of we didn't know who she was prior to reincarnation, and why she hates Being X so much. And Rudeus Greyrat's storyline in Jobless Reincarnation (do I spell it right?) is all about a second chance. Wouldn't make much sense without reincarnation.

TotallyHuman

The witch of speculation
A Monster Girl's Evolution story is a chinese story about a woman from 21 century Earth reincarnating as a worm with a system to help her 'evolve' and start a biology-driven civilization.
I love the incect girls in the story and that humanity was not considered particularly outstanding as a species, especially when it came to the final reveal, was also a plus.
However, mc does not remember most of her previous life and does not use any experience from her previous life (thankfully) which begs the question of why that particular setting is even needed.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Every isekai where the transmigation stops being part of the plot outside of the obvious "I'm looking for a way back (even tho my life before was shit) so I can travel into PLOT"

Also most of those revenge plots work de-isekaid without tweaking the story much.

CarburetorThompson

Fuel Atomization Enjoyer
You can take the dumpster out of the dumpster fire but you still have a flaming pile of rubbish.

Kenjona

it doesnt have anything to do withe the story itself and is only vaguely spoken about once....but Battle Through The Heavens' MC is a reincarnator from Earth

Its used to explain how he has a stronger soul and was more mature than other kids his age, because he used that power to somehow help one of the heroines as a child and also how he was able to be so talented as an alchemist.

Anyway, he doesn't seem to really remember much of anything about that life, but...man, it kinda fucks with the story because it was just thrown in there for those arbitrary reasons and then forgotten about. Like, to be honest the story would've been fine without it. Those reasons it was used for? Coulda been done without it. But it would've also probably been a BETTER story if it was included more. Just to give the MC more life experience to start with and make him have to deal with the dichotomy between his old world's ideals and his current one's.

The thing shouldnt have been used at all, but it was and was never followed through on so it kinda made me question some of his actions throughout the story. Like, "how can you allow that kind of shit? Why are you acting so childish?"

Thing is i cant even remember the scenes that made me think that so i kinda feel bad even talking about the dude like this
I totally forgot the MC was from Earth. It was a fantastic storyline for that type, that it definitely did not need that part.

Zakuro

Crushed Pomegranate
Any canon retelling fanfics where nothing changed.