Jay's Synopsis Formula will work on your novel.

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
You replied to my thread. I read your post but I feel like I'm doing it wrong or something because there are so many possibilities but many of them involve spoilers, and the most simplistic answers seem misleading for what the actual long term plans are, as well as the fact there are going to be a series of things to overcome.

Jay's Synopsis formula template said:
1. Who's the MC? Taylor/Lilith Everhart
2. What is he/she they about? (their normal thing) Depends on reference point
3. What is the conflict that broke up the normal? No sufficiently defined reference, expanding scope involves spoilers
4. How do they attempt to resolve the conflict? There is no 'singular' conflict, needs a reference point, also spoilers

Edit: Thinking a bit more, the problem I am running into is the fact that when you're trying to summarize the story, you have a whole range of time to deal with. Depending on what you pick, the results can change drastically. And I don't want to pick something that seems to misrepresent the premise. But I also don't want to make the scope large enough to involve spoilers. (this might not be a problem for some stories but it seems like it can be one when you are considering potentially many months to years of events, even more if you include influencing factors which lead to certain events. )

Last edited:

JayDirex

nah. you're overthinking it, lol. I tell you what. why don't you go ahead and write a full page synopsis using my formula, and then DM it to me. I guarantee you I can chop it down to blurb size.

trust me it's not your story it's just in your author's mind you have this entire world building event that spans 15 volumes that can't be summed up into two sentences.

But I guarantee you every other author up here will tell you: No worries, bro, you're just overthinking it. (The entire Lord of the rings trilogy can summed up as "a quest for a ring of power" so take it easy bro, you ain't Tolkien) @Freesia.Cutepearl

:blob_reach: :blob_highfive: :LOL::blob_sir:

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
nah. you're overthinking it, lol. I tell you what. why don't you go ahead and write a full page synopsis using my formula, and then DM it to me. I guarantee you I can chop it down to blurb size.
(The entire Lord of the rings trilogy can summed up as "a quest for a ring of power" so take it easy bro, you ain't Tolkien) @Freesia.Cutepearl

You are definitely right about overthinking, it's a HUGE problem for me, makes it difficult to be concise. I'm terrible at figuring out the important bits in anything.

Thank you for your help. I will DM you later when I get something written. I'm not sure if you mean for me to include spoilers or not, or just, what I feel is enough to cover the initial premise without giving too much away.

I do like your template system, btw, I just feel like a dummy who- 'brain no worky', so I failed to apply it properly. Just wanted to be clear on that! It's a neat idea!

IDreamNovels

My novel's synopsis follows the same formula. But I was thinking of changing it a bit. Because I felt it wasn't good enough. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

MajorKerina

My flaws tend to be bevity because I'll come out with an idea which is like -

---
Four high schoolers are ripped from their normal lives by a powerful being and forced to save a fantasy world that oddly reminds them of home and may bring apocalyptic consequences for everyone they love. Foretold and planned by the mysterious hand guiding them; one will make a terrible mistake, one will lose everything that matters to them, one will face a horrible choice, and one will endure the ultimate sacrifice of their life to complete the Quest.
----

That's me trying to stretch it out. Seem okay?

Another I'm sussing out is

---
It's Halloween in Frostwell's little corner of the Great Lakes and fresh mysteries abound. A young man helping out his grandparents soon finds himself suddenly sharing the life of his cousin, Lacy. These and other strange events in town will twist everything they know upside down.
---
End note I want to include for readers
[Set in the same location as <another story of mine> but not the same universe].

I feel like I'm not giving enough because just "turning their worlds upside down" is bland and stock but basically they will do a Freaky Friday and other people will change too and various magical antics and I'm just hinting at all that. Drama and light hearted antic tales tend to be harder to map out into a fulfilling synopsis, as well as those with many mysteries.