Just caught up to the Made in Abyss anime and am now traumatized

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Here's my short summary of each season.

Season 1: Everything's looking cute and cool. Sure, there may be some dark moments but... WTF!!!

Movie: I never knew I would hear the words "spilling out" refer to a person before.

Season 2: Everything is good. Yeah there's some dark stuff, but it seems things have calmed down on the trauma department. I already know that won't stay that way forever.

Currently reading the manga so I can catch up on destroying my brain before the anime does.

Edit: Just watched the newest episode. Fucking Christ.

Last edited:

Agentt

Thighs
Ngl, Made In Abyss disappointed me actually.
The season 1 was top notch but rest deviated very much from what the entire point of set up was.

Made in Abyss is supposed to show cute graphics with horrific implications.
This was done very well in season 1 where apart from that fact that society was forcing orphans into child labour under dangerous circumstances; the most horrific thing was that everyone happily sent a child to pit of death because of their belief of "what comes from abyss, goes back there"

But the rest of the show betrays that feeling by just showing us monsters. It turned into a typical horror show.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Ngl, Made In Abyss disappointed me actually.
The season 1 was top notch but rest deviated very much from what the entire point of set up was.

This was done very well in season 1 where apart from that fact that society was forcing orphans into child labour under dangerous circumstances; the most horrific thing was that everyone happily sent a child to pit of death because of their belief of "what comes from abyss, goes back there"

But the rest of the show betrays that feeling by just showing us monsters. It turned into a typical horror show.
I don't understand what you mean. The first season shows more monsters than the movie. The only monsters shown in the movie was that one underwater creature and the scorpions. Everything else was human on human action.

As for season 2, they went to the sixth layer, a layer that only white whistles go to when doing their last dive, except for Bondrewd but he has an exception due to his relic. Of course there's mostly going to be monsters down there and few, if any, humans. Not to mention some of the monsters don't really look scary. The horror of the show comes from the abyss itself instead of the monsters that reside within.

Not to mention after season 1 it would be pointless to try and do the "Oh everything is cute and stuff, but incredibly dark and disturbing under the surface," since S1 already did it. There would be no reason to do it again cause the audience already knows of the darkness, so trying to hide it would be incredibly stupid to do to set up the same point that's already been established. It's just better overall to dive into the darkness rather than trying to deceive people of there being a light when their eyes are already open.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
read the manga, anime is ok but it doesn't do justice

read from the beginning of course

This is the reason why. Manga does it well, anime censored a lot of gore and background info.

It also simplified all monster designs so you can't see a lot of stuff that's meant to be. For example, the ugly bastard monster summoned in recent episode was based on the guy who tortured vueko with a burning rod by inserting it in her vagina and making her infertile thus. The huge sword he pulls out in manga quite obviously looks like a rod-penis-dildo thing covered in precum, but it's completely missed in anime.

the anime also doesn't show what's going on in orth. for example, when reg picked up a nametag "sherumi passed away" in previous episode, it was meaningful in manga because we knew who sherumi is. here it just made no sense.

Last edited:

ProjCRys

Made is abyss is pretty tame for me tbh. Just watch the first episode of Gakkou Gurashi head-on without any clues whatsoever about the anime will have more everlasting impact towards your mental health.

Last edited:

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
Made is abyss is pretty tame for me tbh. Just watch the first episode of Gakkou Gurashi head-on without any clues whatsoever about the anime will have more everlasting impact towards your mental health.
I've already watched School Live, and the twist, though interesting, isn't really that interesting to me personally. I'm going to be as generic as possible, since it is kind of meant to go in blind. The reason I prefer Made in Abyss more really, is because the abyss is a fresh concept compared to School Live. I've seen so many of those shows till then that it's just kind of generic to me.

I might rewatch it though since its been years since my first watch through.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
It was indeed a wild ride.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama

another anime only

Read the manga, gakkou gurashi has an awesome story and art, anime adopted only like first part. And manga never tried to pretend to be anything that it is.

pic related, iconic scene

Last edited:

ProjCRys

another anime only

Read the manga, gakkou gurashi has an awesome story and art, anime adopted only like first part. And manga never tried to pretend to be anything that it is.

pic related, iconic scene

I finished the manga and also the sequel. Still good stuff to read if you want to be mentally broken. Though both anime and manga have their good sides. I still lean towards the anime since it made me cry at the end but in manga however, still scarred me for life. That's why I always go back to that series as a reference in how to write mentally scarring stories upon first impressions.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
I finished the manga and also the sequel. Still good stuff to read if you want to be mentally broken. Though both anime and manga have their good sides. I still lean towards the anime since it made me cry at the end but in manga however, still scarred me for life. That's why I always go back to that series as a reference in how to write mentally scarring stories upon first impressions.

how old were you when you got mentally scarred, if you don't mind me asking?

ProjCRys

how old were you when you got mentally scarred, if you don't mind me asking?
I don't fully remember but I was quite young when someone showed a boku no p*co icecream scene at me (I should be lucky the first time I saw was a censored version but it didn't save me from the sounds) . Aside from that, the strongest one so far was Gakkou Gurashi being first anime I voluntarily watched. (I kinda felt biased towards Gakkou Gurashi as this was the first anime the broke my mind in a satisfying way)

After seeing Gakkou Gurashi, I went to look for more dark themed anime like Re:Zero(Oh! There's a cute rabbit!) , Made in Abyss (Elevator music intensifies) , Madoka Magica (Just a cute magical girl anime) then I spiraled down into a dark hole and saw more disturbing things in the internet such as Futa, NTR, and Ugly b*stard.