Just saw Guardians 3.

• Thread starter Deleted member 113259
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 113259

I didn't contradict myself at all. Literally said it was great for marvel, implying there's a new standard. The movie was entertaining but it wasn't art.

OP1000

I enjoyed the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It was fun to watch.
Literally said it was great for marvel, implying there's a new standard. The movie was entertaining but it wasn't art.
Then what kind of movie do you think can be considered as art?

D

Deleted member 113259

I enjoyed the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie. It was fun to watch.

Then what kind of movie do you think can be considered as art?

Almost nothing nowadays, but there used to be a lot. The most recent example of an artistic movie I can think of is Whiplash.

There are two scales when rating movies. If it aims to make you think, it's art. If it aims to make you laugh or entertain you in another way it's entertainment.

For Guardians 3 on an artistic scale, it would be a two. There's a semblance of something you should think about with animal testing, but there's no debate that the villain is a scum bag, so it doesn't challenge your beliefs or make you think about an issue you weren't previously aware of.

As far as entertainment goes, it was great. Solid seven. The jokes landed, they didn't humiliate the characters for cheap laughs, almost everything was held together nicely, and there were plenty of action scenes.

OP1000

Almost nothing nowadays, but there used to be a lot. The most recent example of an artistic movie I can think of is Whiplash.

There are two scales when rating movies. If it aims to make you think, it's art. If it aims to make you laugh or entertain you in another way it's entertainment.

For Guardians 3 on an artistic scale, it would be a two. There's a semblance of something you should think about with animal testing, but there's no debate that the villain is a scum bag, so it doesn't challenge your beliefs or make you think about an issue you weren't previously aware of.

As far as entertainment goes, it was great. Solid seven. The jokes landed, they didn't humiliate the characters for cheap laughs, almost everything was held together nicely, and there were plenty of action scenes.
You have enlightened my understanding of art with this post. Thank you for that.

BigBadBoi

Kinda agree it was a 7-8/10. Not as good as the first two movies but good enough. Kinda surprised I enjoyed it when the new marvel films are garbage that I will never touch with a ten foot pole.