Keep Feedback In Perspective

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Whether its reviews, comments, messages, or the new glut of feedback on the review sub-forum, I figured I'd just do a little write up to tell everyone to keep things in perspective.

No one's opinion is correct. Just because someone didn't like something, doesn't mean your work is bad or "wrong". Feedback is a useful tool to help you improve as an author and should be taken as such. Don't read what one person thinks and say "I need to change everything." First, ask yourself do you agree with the point of view. Is it a problem you saw? Did the commenter give you insight that you didn't previously have? Good. You can use that to grow.

It can help to ask in what spirit the feedback is coming from. Does the person want to tear you down? Do they want to build you up? Do they know what they are talking about? Just because someone talks doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Conversely, just because they are an asshole doesn't mean they aren't being constructive. Anyone in a writing group can tell you that there's always that one asshole who knows exactly what they're talking about.

But if I or anyone else says something that you don't agree with, that's fine too. You should keep an open mind, but it's your work and your call. The important thing about being an artist is that the thing you're putting out into the world is your vision.

Horizon42

Whether its reviews, comments, messages, or the new glut of feedback on the review sub-forum, I figured I'd just do a little write up to tell everyone to keep things in perspective.

No one's opinion is correct. Just because someone didn't like something, doesn't mean your work is bad or "wrong". Feedback is a useful tool to help you improve as an author and should be taken as such. Don't read what one person thinks and say "I need to change everything." First, ask yourself do you agree with the point of view. Is it a problem you saw? Did the commenter give you insight that you didn't previously have? Good. You can use that to grow.

It can help to ask in what spirit the feedback is coming from. Does the person want to tear you down? Do they want to build you up? Do they know what they are talking about? Just because someone talks doesn't mean they know what they are talking about. Conversely, just because they are an asshole doesn't mean they aren't being constructive. Anyone in a writing group can tell you that there's always that one asshole who knows exactly what they're talking about.

But if I or anyone else says something that you don't agree with, that's fine too. You should keep an open mind, but it's your work and your call. The important thing about being an artist is that the thing you're putting out into the world is your vision.
You said it well, the only thing I would add for other authors is that if you ask for advice, expect it. That sounds obvious, but maybe some authors just want support rather than advice and criticisms.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Thanks for the reminder! We all need to hear this more often <3

D

Deleted member 45782

I agree yup. Well said. 👏👏👏

Volatis

Just wanted to add to this. Don't let anyone add unnecessary pressure to your writing process. As it was said beautifully, it is your vision, the one being created and brought to life by your hands. Just keep enjoying what you do and keep going at it.

If they end up not liking it, learn and move on. Nothing sucks more than losing the drive to keep writing because a handful of people ended up dropping your story. At least you're doing something right if it caused the reader to put in the effort, to complain before they left.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Anyone in a writing group can tell you that there's always that one asshole who knows exactly what they're talking about.
That is one thing I can totally agree with~ (I agree with the rest too btw, but I just wanted to reply to this point)

I remember back when I was writing my first story, long before Scribbly was a thing... Posted it on an online forum and didn't really have much going for it... Looking back on it, it was actually a pretty bad story, but I was pretty proud of what I had done, even if nowadays I just think that that story sucked.

Well, I got a bunch of feedback from a really rude person and I got really defensive and tried to like... Counterargue their points or something... Terrible terrible choice.

First things first, the person giving the feedback was totally in the right, they just pointed out the issues I wasn't willing to acknowledge.
And also... Trying to counterargue feedback is a horrible idea. Especially if you're clearly defensive about your story... The reader will just get fed up with you and will stop providing you feedback.

That's what happened to me, lost what was my best source of feedback for my very first story... I mean, it was a good learning lesson because it actually helped me a lot with learning how to stop being defensive about my story and what not, but I'm still sad about the way I reacted.