King Arthur?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
Out of curiosity, is there any kind of interest for stories pertaining to King Arthur? None of the romances and medieval fics, I mean genuinely original Arthurian fic? I know historical fiction is getting kind of popular in the last decade or so, and several of my favorite authors of the genre have done their take on the genre....

But is anyone here an Arthurian or at least have something of a passing interest? I don't really expect many here to have such an interest, but I was still wondering.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Not really. I'd like to read more historical fiction about South America and Africa.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
If you want Arthurian fiction play FGO

LadyIsak

Weirdly, outside of Arthurian qua Arthurian (as in, takes on the actual mythos), I've never seen much SFF that was explicitly riffing on Arthuriana as its source material, outside of like, maybe the Elric saga? It just doesn't seem to be a niche, which is weird.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Despite how famous Arthurian legends are, I actually still don't know much about it. It's kind of sad, really.
Most of my """knowledge""" about it comes from Magic Tree House books, so I would love it if someone wrote a story based on it and dumbs it down for me to understand. Too much scattered and inconsistent material for me to learn by myself.

Edit: On the other hand I probably won't read it because it won't be Yuri, but that's the doggo for you

Last edited:

Schultz_von

You know there is that one film, the 2004 "King Arthur" that tries to make Arthurian legends in a more historical way. Aside from that, I don't know.

LadyIsak

There’s that Green Knight movie that came out recently — the original legend it’s based on, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, is part of the broader Arthurian mythos — but I hear they only had Gawain kissing the titular Green Knight once, so I didn’t bother with it.

SpiraSpira

Out of curiosity, is there any kind of interest for stories pertaining to King Arthur? None of the romances and medieval fics, I mean genuinely original Arthurian fic? I know historical fiction is getting kind of popular in the last decade or so, and several of my favorite authors of the genre have done their take on the genre....

But is anyone here an Arthurian or at least have something of a passing interest? I don't really expect many here to have such an interest, but I was still wondering.
There are plenty of fairly popular novels that tell the story of Arthur, I have read at least a dozen and I’m sure theres more than that. They’re all traditionally published novels, though, a previous poster mentioned Mists of Avalon, and then theres The Once and Future King and more and more.

I’m not aware of a web novel that tells this story however I have read a number of web novels that co-opted the Arthurian story and just changed the characters, settings, etc. But that is unavoidable as the story of Arthur is very archetypical, which is why it is so popular.

Think similarly to Harry Potter — that is a VERY archetypal story, now consider how many stories you’ve read that are quite similar to Harry Potter — the chosen one/child who is foretold to save something or other from darkness, he or she is somehow more than the mundane life that they lived up to now and discover this and then go to a magical place to learn their powers, etc.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
There are plenty of fairly popular novels that tell the story of Arthur, I have read at least a dozen and I’m sure theres more than that. They’re all traditionally published novels, though, a previous poster mentioned Mists of Avalon, and then theres The Once and Future King and more and more.

I’m not aware of a web novel that tells this story however I have read a number of web novels that co-opted the Arthurian story and just changed the characters, settings, etc. But that is unavoidable as the story of Arthur is very archetypical, which is why it is so popular.

Think similarly to Harry Potter — that is a VERY archetypal story, now consider how many stories you’ve read that are quite similar to Harry Potter — the chosen one/child who is foretold to save something or other from darkness, he or she is somehow more than the mundane life that they lived up to now and discover this and then go to a magical place to learn their powers, etc.
Surprisingly little harry potter stories, because I mostly read japanese stories. Heh