Law of Magic

SailusGebel

You said we can mention something we didn't write. I find Winds of Magic from Warhammer Fantasy rather interesting. Don't know if it's descriptive\unique enough compared to other stories\universes.

rachurch95

in A silvertongue's tale, everyone is capable of magic, some more so than others. For instance, anju ( a character that's to be introduced next chapter), has very minimal magic. It only allows her to make and use spell cards. Each time she uses those, however, she feels a tad drained.

Then there's someone like Kerren who has an extraordinary amount of magic capability that Ice, so he wasn't more powerful than her, had runes etched into his skin to block his magical output. Kerren can still use magic, and he gets affected like a normal user. He gets more tired than normal. Magic takes your stamina first, then your lifespan if you deplete all your stamina. (Then there's blood magic which will, of course, take your lifespan, but it also requires a chant to keep it going).

The only ones who are technically 'free' from the limitations of it taking their lifespan are Deaths and Gaias, as they are made immortal by the High council. Though they do have rules about how they can use their magic. They must follow the way it's written, so to speak. But they can still get drained. Normally, they have one day where they sleep all day, kinda like a mini hibernation (and that reminds me of another post to make later about the Deaths and Gaias), but if they overuse their magic, they'll have more than the one sleep day per month.

sabin9825

My concept of Magic comes from dark elements. First, people use medicine to awaken their innate element. Then they open their Mana space which lies below the navel point. When a person absorbs dark energy, it is transmitted towards the Mana Space which is covered by the element they awakened. So the dark energy passes through the element, and transforms finally into Mana. Finally, a person uses Mana to perform magic art. (NOte: a person can only perform magic art related to the element they awaken.)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Err, I think I made a fucky wucky while I tried to justify the shit of elements and stuff.

WHAT MAKES THE ELEMENTS? For us everything comprise of atoms, so the whole theory of making something out of nothing is impossible, unless you count the times when in other works where people just creates water in a hot desert or fire in pure vacuum, I am referring to xianxia novels where the MC and his foes just seemingly creates the necessary elements via mental chi BS in voids.

As of why I am questioning this is because I made a mistake by having my MC becoming a mana black hole due to his inability to use magic in the first place.

So my issue is, does magic manipulation includes in the force fundimental forces of the universe?

YijingMaster

Err, I think I made a fucky wucky while I tried to justify the shit of elements and stuff.

WHAT MAKES THE ELEMENTS? For us everything comprise of atoms, so the whole theory of making something out of nothing is impossible, unless you count the times when in other works where people just creates water in a hot desert or fire in pure vacuum, I am referring to xianxia novels where the MC and his foes just seemingly creates the necessary elements via mental chi BS in voids.

As of why I am questioning this is because I made a mistake by having my MC becoming a mana black hole due to his inability to use magic in the first place.

So my issue is, does magic manipulation includes in the force fundimental forces of the universe?

PART ONE

If you want to discuss magic from a more scientific viewpoint, you'd want to start from cosmology. In Brand Theory, bands or zones of universes orbit some unknown type of singularity in 3 transverse directions ... and the closer a band of universes is to this Source or singularity, the easier it is for quantum effects to manifest on a macroscopic scale (I.e. magic). Each Brane Universe would have a single set of planes above and below physical reality (the so-called heavens and hells) ... what one author has called a "ribbonverse" ... despite each Brane Universe being split into between 400 million & 600 million Quantum Universes (I.e. parallel time streams). The theory of "curled dimensions" can also explain a number of mysteries about heaven.

Many ancient earth cultures had mystics who wrote about a layer of reality 2 levels below that of matter & energy (vibrating strings) & that those that form neither matter nor energy can form something else in humans & other creatures ("chakras" in the Far East due to their tendency to rotate like wheels, "marks" in the Middle East due to their tendency to contain a small library's worth of information).

Freesia.Cutepearl

Nonsensically Weird while Weirdly Nonsensical
In regards to hard magic systems, as I believe they're called. Allomancy in 'Mistborn' by Brandon Sanderson is probably one of, if not my favorite.

A type of system I've seen a couple times in some webnovels or stories like on this site, that I want to adapt to my own story, is where the magic(whether the people know it or not) is not some hard set of "spells" that do specific things, but more, like formulas from your imagination that result in an outcome.

A simple example is, condensing water from the air, collecting it and using fire magic(by concentrating and igniting oxygen) to turn the water into a cloud of steam. Where before people just pictured fire or water 'spells', but if you know more how things work and apply a though process to it you can do more complex things.

An extension of the steam thing could be, if you separated the water into a fine mist of tiny droplets before you turns it to steam, it would have vastly more surface area and expand much more explosively. (Similar to how you can take flour or something and toss it in the air with a flame and it erupts spectacularly.)