Writing Prompt Left Dead / Raised Right

mrsimple

Writer
How would you feel if you'd been in a planned "accident" that left you incapable at a young age, say still in your teens, and the ones who permitted it were your own parents. :blob_shock:

Why? :blob_hmm_two:

You had a serious attitude, a behavior that obviously wasn't being tolerated any longer, and a deplorable future in suspect. A life of crime was almost guaranteed. :blobspearpeek:

That still wouldn't explain why you were crippled to the point of being beyond just infirm. :blob_hmph:

But what if there was advances made in this modern day? A way to give people a second chance in life? :blob_hmm:

Being reborn into the world where you could be raised properly to fit into an ideal society. :blob_unamused:

That was the plan. All your parents wanted was a second chance to raise you right. :blob_frown:

This time, they decided if you would be reborn, then why not make an exception? They'd have a chance to go the extra mile in manipulating who you turned out to be. A genetic map of how you could've been on the flipside. :blob_cringe:

Just what sort of personality would blossom? A better one than what you and your "loving" family experienced. :blob_no:

So where did things go wrong? Oh, yeah, sometime in your new life, you happened to have remembered the act of your murderous parents... And, gradually over the school years, realized they completely changed everything about you. :blob_teary:

In fact, by request of one of your parents wanting a child they could relate with this time around, you're not even the same gender that you used to be. :blob_blank:

You knew who you were, but to figure out who you really are, you have to remember more of the life you once had. Sift through the implanted personality of this new life and regain the fragmented memories of a dead past until you can decide on which of you is now you. :sweating_profusely:

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
Wow... Okay, this is hard... But seeing I am currently having writer's block I will give it a try.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What if one day you found something strange? How would you act? What would you do? What if you suddenly found out... Everything was a lie? Your life, your parents, who you are. Everything that you thought was true is no longer.

The first thing that comes to my mind is: Why? Why would they go in that route?

What if you were reborn but did not have a choice? A new life that is a complete polar opposite.

"Rin?"

I heard a voice behind me, asking for me in a confused tone. Said voice was familiar, yet it gave me a weird feeling making me shiver and sweat. I felt a hand on my back and a soft-warm voice next to me.

"Rin, are you okay?"
"It's... nothing m-mom."

I looked at her making a somewhat forced smile.

The demon blinked a few times noticing my weird behaviour, but ultimately. She removed her hand and left my room while muttering something. I got up from my chair and now looked at the 'my room' It left me an unfamilar feeling, everything was wrong, yet it wasn't. Closing the oak door and locking it I start observing my surroundings to confirm if what this memory of mine tells me. Everything is something I am familar with but now I feel weird looking at it. I plain desk and a bed with pink flower bedsheets. The wallpaper matches the bed, and the carpeted floor is wine red. I took notice of a bookshelf and started scanning through it. Looking for something.

"There it is." I casually say in a weird voice while grabbing a photo album.

I started skimming through said album. I am currently called Rin and apparently am a cheerful girl that loves girly things. Thinking about it, it makes me want to throw up. 'Just why would they do that? Are they sociopaths?' I started muttering in resentment, questioning absolutely everything that I could find in my now messy memories.

~~

We ended up having dinner with a completely silent dining table. It was somewhat awkward. The atmosphere was cold. I ended up leaving early and going to my room, saying I felt sick. A few hours later now mid-night I exited my room to go out to the restroom. As I was walking down the hallway I noticed my parent's bedroom light was turned on and I could see some shadows below the door. My curiosity got the better of me and I ended up approaching the door.

"Do you think she found out?"
"No, there is no way my love. Don't worry about it, and even if she did find out. Sadly... We cannot change what is done."
"But what if she goes back to being... 'That'?"
"Then we will keep moving forward, we made a mistake and now have to amend it. We should love her for who she is now, not what she was."

My dad? Ended the conversation like that. It left a sour taste in my mouth making me think about it the whole night.

What if they knew I was back? That last thing I heard... What am I now? Am I Rin or am I my old self. For some reason, I can recall everything but my name. I am currently a girl that looks somewhat average with below-average height. I think I am cute with black hair and black eyes. Yes black, I confirmed it after the conversation was over and went to the bathroom to do my things. I ended up looking at the mirror questioning everything. Despite how much I dread them for doing that. In my own thoughts and stupidity, I believe I should tell them. Nothing good will come from this anyways. Regardless if I tell them or not.

~~

The following morning we were having breakfast. I was eating the now tasteless food.
'Who she is now, not what she was...' I kept muttering over and over again.

"Rin?" My dad stopped eating and looked at me, he looked genuinely worried which made me feel nervous. Ultimately I decided.
"Who she is now, not what she was? What if... I was 'that' now?" I decided to ask making the firmest voice I possibly could muster.

My mom froze as she was eating her pinched pancake. The pancake broke and just hit the plate making no noise. She did not notice this as she was looking at me with wide-open eyes. My dad was in the same state. After a long silence, my dad ended up nodding.

"My child... I know you possibly cannot forgive us. But... I can at least tell you this. These past few years. Watching you grow up again... Made me dread with guilt. At first, I thought it was fine. But... thoughts after thoughts. Questions after questions. In the end, we made a mistake..."

He paused.

"Therefore, we will not make the same mistake again." He was now looking at me with unmoving centered eyes. He continued speaking in a with an unwavering voice. I could feel his willpower in my ears.

"I will love you, for who you are." He said, without hiding his tears that were flowing out of his eyes. Somehow, I felt like my heart got stabbed and my vision started getting blurry. But I had no time to think about the myriad of emotions I was feeling.

"No... No.... No..." My mom was audibly repeating the same word again. Until she looked at me with sharp eyes. She was shaking and I swear... I saw Satan right in-front of me. She quickly grabbed the knife that was on the table.
"I will not let it happen like this! Bring her back!" She suddenly shouted as she lunged herself at me trying to stab me.

My dad swiftly moved behind her and managed to knock her out before anything could happen to me. Silence filled the room...But I could say. That my future was better now, at least with my dad.

That was hard. And I didn't quite like it. If someone did read it... I hope they liked it.

Llamadragon

Dad was driving and I was sitting in the front passenger seat, switching between radio stations without really listening to any of them. We were having a bit of a heart to heart talk after two weeks of painful awkwardness. Mom was asleep in the back seat.

”I’m sorry. It’s not your fault.” Dad said with weariness in his voice and stared really hard at the road. ”It’s... at that moment, you really reminded us of your sister. I.. in most ways you’re completely different people. But sometimes you go and do something, it could be just some little tiny detail, and for a moment it’s like you’re her.”
My sister, the one I’d never met. She had an accident before I was born. Her climbing harness failed and she fell. Eventually, her injuries killed her. Mom and dad hated to talk about her, but in this day and age of social media there was no easy way to erase all traces of a person no matter how much they’d want to. I had gotten in touch with a few of her friends in the past and asked about this sibling I’d never met. So I knew roughly who she had been and.. what she’d done. I wasn’t surprised that she was a sore spot in my parents hearts.
From that perspective, in retrospect I also wasn’t surprised that they’d taken it so hard when I told them I was trans on that day two weeks back. Because.. she and I looked really similar to each other. If I grew out my hair and changed the way I dressed... I would probably remind them about her. A lot.
”When you freaked out like that, it hurt like hell. I didn’t expect it at all, not after how well you’ve taken similar things from other people in the past.” I said slowly, still flipping between stations just to slightly avoid the matter. I saw his knuckles whiten as he gripped the wheel harder. ”But I guess I can sort of get that. What I don’t get is what you’ve been thinking these past two weeks. You taught me to properly talk things out. And yet you’re avoiding me like this. Two weeks, dad.” My voice cracked up a little at the end of that sentence and I stopped talking.
”... I’m sorry. I really am.”

I could hear in his voice that he was still emotionally avoiding the matter, so I just nodded. He was probably trying. But I wasn’t used to seeing him like this.
I stopped flipping through the channels as I caught the sound of some guitar solo that sounded vaguely familiar. I couldn’t entirely pin down where I’d heard it before because my parents raised me on classical. But I must’ve heard it somewhere at least, because the name of it popped up in my head - it was Dios’ cover of ’Dream on’. I noticed that my dad slightly flinched, but I just turned my head towards the window and stared at the trees passing us by in the darkness.

Everything happened so quickly after that.

It was Mom who panicked. Then, I had no way to understand why, but it was as if she had woken up from a nightmare and still hadn’t come back to reality. She yelled, cried, at us to change the channel and carelessly, irrationally scrambled forward to do it herself. She accidentally pushed dad before I could react. The car took a sharp turn. We flew off the road.

Before the car hit the rocks, I remembered. I remembered falling like this in the past. I remembered the hours I had spent blasting metal on the radio back in the bedroom that was neat and orderly this lifetime around instead of half-trashed and weird-smelling, I remembered the familiar face that stared back at me from the reflection in the glass of the car window. I remembered crashing. I remembered why. A whole lot of why’s.

——————

The machines went ’beep. Beep. Beep,’ in the background.

A doctor was telling me about the options we had to save them. I had turned 18 recently and thus I was their closest adult relative. I had a say in this.
I didn’t know what to think. My only physical injury was patched up with a bandage around my head and I’d be just fine in a while, but I was really out of it. I loved them. I hated them. They had killed me, you know? Why couldn’t they just have let me go and have another kid? The memory of when I fell played over and over in my head. I remember being locked inside a body that could hear and smell, but couldn’t move and couldn’t speak. I remembered hearing their voices when they told the doctors that they wanted to turn off my life support. They had tried to hide the happiness in their voices, but they sounded so relieved at their chance of re-doing me all over again. At the chance of correcting their failure. I had wondered back then if they actually loved me in some twisted, perverted way and that was why they wanted to re-do me all over again, or if they just saw my old self as recyclable material for a specific piece of decorative art that hadn’t turned out right the first time. I hadn’t been able to ask back then, and now when I remembered, my chance to ask was already gone. Fuck, I wanted to KNOW. I wanted to scream, yell, I wanted answers to so many QUESTIONS and the thought of those answers disappearing forever if they died scared me my old self like hell. But another part of me really, REALLY relished the fact that I had their lives in my hand now and that I could actually turn off their life support. That frightened the hell out of me.

In my past life they’d been largely absent.. they worked a lot. I guess that’s why I turned into such a spectacular failure in their eyes. This life, mom had smiled so brightly when she taught me to fix car engines. Dad had been so proud when I learned to play the piano and started composing my own music. I had loved them. I loved them so much my heart ached.
Was that a lie? Was I treated so much better because I was a ’son’ this time? Or because I was more ’acceptable’? Had they been happy to have this second chance to give me a good life... or just with the chance to turn me into a piece of pretty artwork that made them feel like they’d accomplished something, something that looked good as a living room decoration they could rave about with their friends?

I wanted to ask. I wanted them to wake up.

... but... I also... kind of didn’t. That scared me. It really did. I listened to the beeping machines. I had a say in this. And I didn’t know what to do.

Last edited:

mrsimple

Writer
Dad was driving and I was sitting in the front passenger seat, switching between radio stations without really listening to any of them. We were having a bit of a heart to heart talk after two weeks of painful awkwardness. Mom was asleep in the back seat.

”I’m sorry. It’s not your fault.” Dad said with weariness in his voice and stared really hard at the road. ”It’s... at that moment, you really reminded us of your sister. I.. in most ways you’re completely different people. But sometimes you go and do something, it could be just some little tiny detail, and for a moment it’s like you’re her.”
My sister, the one I’d never met. She had an accident before I was born. Her climbing harness failed and she fell. Eventually, her injuries killed her. Mom and dad hated to talk about her, but in this day and age of social media there was no easy way to erase all traces of a person no matter how much they’d want to. I had gotten in touch with a few of her friends in the past and asked about this sibling I’d never met. So I knew roughly who she had been and.. what she’d done. I wasn’t surprised that she was a sore spot in my parents hearts.
From that perspective, in retrospect I also wasn’t surprised that they’d taken it so hard when I told them I was trans on that day two weeks back. Because.. she and I looked really similar to each other. If I grew out my hair and changed the way I dressed... I would probably remind them about her. A lot.
”When you freaked out like that, it hurt like hell. I didn’t expect it at all, not after how well you’ve taken similar things from other people in the past.” I said slowly, still flipping between stations just to slightly avoid the matter. I saw his knuckles whiten as he gripped the wheel harder. ”But I guess I can sort of get that. What I don’t get is what you’ve been thinking these past two weeks. You taught me to properly talk things out. And yet you’re avoiding me like this. Two weeks, dad.” My voice cracked up a little at the end of that sentence and I stopped talking.
”... I’m sorry. I really am.”

I could hear in his voice that he was still emotionally avoiding the matter, so I just nodded. He was probably trying. But I wasn’t used to seeing him like this.
I stopped flipping through the channels as I caught the sound of some guitar solo that sounded vaguely familiar. I couldn’t entirely pin down where I’d heard it before because my parents raised me on classical. But I must’ve heard it somewhere at least, because the name of it popped up in my head - it was Dios’ cover of ’Dream on’. I noticed that my dad slightly flinched, but I just turned my head towards the window and stared at the trees passing us by in the darkness.

Everything happened so quickly after that.

It was Mom who panicked. Then, I had no way to understand why, but it was as if she had woken up from a nightmare and still hadn’t come back to reality. She yelled, cried, at us to change the channel and carelessly, irrationally scrambled forward to do it herself. She accidentally pushed dad before I could react. The car took a sharp turn. We flew off the road.

Before the car hit the rocks, I remembered. I remembered falling like this in the past. I remembered the hours I had spent blasting metal on the radio back in the bedroom that was neat and orderly this lifetime around instead of half-trashed and weird-smelling, I remembered the familiar face that stared back at me from the reflection in the glass of the car window. I remembered crashing. I remembered why. A whole lot of why’s.

——————

The machines went ’beep. Beep. Beep,’ in the background.

A doctor was telling me about the options we had to save them. I had turned 18 recently and thus I was their closest adult relative. I had a say in this.
I didn’t know what to think. My only physical injury was patched up with a bandage around my head and I’d be just fine in a while, but I was really out of it. I loved them. I hated them. They had killed me, you know? Why couldn’t they just have let me go and have another kid? The memory of when I fell played over and over in my head. I remember being locked inside a body that could hear and smell, but couldn’t move and couldn’t speak. I remembered hearing their voices when they told the doctors that they wanted to turn off my life support. They had tried to hide the happiness in their voices, but they sounded so relieved at their chance of re-doing me all over again. At the chance of correcting their failure. I had wondered back then if they actually loved me in some twisted, perverted way and that was why they wanted to re-do me all over again, or if they just saw my old self as recyclable material for a specific piece of decorative art that hadn’t turned out right the first time. I hadn’t been able to ask back then, and now when I remembered, my chance to ask was already gone. Fuck, I wanted to KNOW. I wanted to scream, yell, I wanted answers to so many QUESTIONS and the thought of those answers disappearing forever if they died scared me my old self like hell. But another part of me really, REALLY relished the fact that I had their lives in my hand now and that I could actually turn off their life support. That frightened the hell out of me.

In my past life they’d been largely absent.. they worked a lot. I guess that’s why I turned into such a spectacular failure in their eyes. This life, mom had smiled so brightly when she taught me to fix car engines. Dad had been so proud when I learned to play the piano and started composing my own music. I had loved them. I loved them so much my heart ached.
Was that a lie? Was I treated so much better because I was a ’son’ this time? Or because I was more ’acceptable’? Had they been happy to have this second chance to give me a good life... or just with the chance to turn me into a piece of pretty artwork that made them feel like they’d accomplished something, something that looked good as a living room decoration they could rave about with their friends?

I wanted to ask. I wanted them to wake up.

... but... I also... kind of didn’t. That scared me. It really did. I listened to the beeping machines. I had a say in this. And I didn’t know what to do.
The tables have clearly turned. XD

Pretty damn cool. Thank ya! :blobthumbsup:

And, yeah, I wouldn't know what to do in that situation either. I'd like to have my questions answered, but on the other hand, I'd feel some bitterness over keeping them alive or not. As if committing one or the other would be just as bad as what they had done to me; killed and kept me alive. :blob_dizzy:

tak

13+ parental guidance? strong language

I love my parents. Those bastards.
They make sure to stay with me even when I'm broken. Those liars.
I am mentally ill. I don't know why but I keep having intrusive thoughts. This is the truth. And disturbing dreams. Reality.

"Mom, Dad, I'm off to school." Run and don't come back
"Be careful honey, we love you!"
"I know!" LIAR!

I hug them tight. I don't want to go, I'm afraid to go somewhere without them.
Crush them. Run. Get away from them.
What can I do without my parents? I need them.
I'll be free. I'll be free without them.

"I cooked specially for you, with love!" Mom put a plate of my favorite food in front of me.
"Thank you very much, Mom!"
She's so understanding. Don't eat it. It tastes so good. It's poisoned. I swallow the food throw up with difficulties because throw it up of the intrusive thoughts memories.

"It's almost your birthday, do you want to throw a party and invite your friends?" Dad asks me.
"I, uh..." I don't have friends because of them. "No, let's do it between us family!" They cut me off from anyone else. Because family is more important than friends. I don't want this family.

I had the nightmare again. I hate that dreamemories. In that dream I suffered. And died. Because of my parents. That's ridiculous, no?
They make me suffered. And died. What kind of parents is that? Ridiculous, no?

Well, it was just a memory of the past. It has to do with me now. My parents won't do that to me as long as I am a good kid. I just have to be obedient.

tak

I just have to be obedient.
just realized this looks like she's broken thing. No, you don't need to read one colour. just read the whole sentence. If you read it by colour it become iuhvtbbden
jsaeoeoeit, there's no meaning. this is why writer need editor.:sweating_profusely: