Lets Make Some Culture! Part 1

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
So I tried to flesh out a story with some other writers and the topic was the native cultures inherent to the world, its various regions, tribes, nations and races.

We saw some progress, but ran out of time. So I figured, "why not invite the potential readers to contribute their opinions" and magikazam. This thread was born.

Now, to give the basic details that should be considered (to be further refined upon by Part 2) so we can all have a healthy discussion on relatively even footing.

So the details are rough explanations for conceptual purposes.

• The world is roughly split into 3 regions for current arguments sake,the north, the midlands and the south. the world being roughly between 3-6x the size of earth.
  • There are 2 poles that have been constant since the beginning of the worlds recorded time. The north has unending day, desert and heat, the south pole everlasting night, tundras and cold/ice. above the north is the sun/day-star and above the south is the moon/dark-star (actually a giant silver crystal). 4 Satellites orbit the world along the equator, above the midland region, with varying speed and degree of tilt.
  • The world is basically similar to a Tidally Locked planet the always has the same side facing towards and away from the "sun", however, this world still rotates on its axis. Allowing for eternal twilight and habitable regions along the equator for humanoid life.
  • the midlands region is constantly at war and so has the outlook that as long as you are fit and able and contributing to society or the war-front, you will be treated with equality. this is restricted to those of the same class tier in the hierarchy pyramid, which extreme discrimination to the elderly, crippled and disabled deemed unfit to contribute.
  • both the north and south value women above men as regions of harsh climates and struggles against the wilds.
  • Gravity in the traditional sense does not apply to all things. the world itself binds the lifeforms with chains unseen to all but a few and the various satellites above and floating islands in the midlands.
So far we have looked at establishing 3 main Cultures, 1 for each region, that will vary by nation in different ways in that region. Additionally, we look to include various archaic traditions, and traditional customs as passed down certain tribes or locales.

The MC will be making use of one of these archaic practices that involves the blindfolding of the eyes, practised by pockets of people across the northern regions. they do this not for cultural/religious reasons as they come from the midlands, but out of a complex regarding their facial appearance.

I really hope lots of people will get involved in this discussion so we can have fun fleshing out a diverse and creative selection of cultures that perhaps more people than I will draw from to use in their own works. I plane to use

edit: A Fantasy is the major theme of the story, expect a vast understudied myriad of magical systems and obscure abilities. including an alternative growth system that veers away from science and more into magical studies that are sort of scientific in approach, but lack the uniform systemic structure of the whole field. more modern than medieval. but not at pre-modern levels.

Last edited:

TheMoonStain

The problem I have with so many Japanese Light Novels is that the fantasy settings are so generic and don't feel like real worlds with real cultures and ways of life and religion. Compare the setting of Grimgar RE Zero or Goblin Slayer, to Game Of Thrones, Lord Of The Rings, or Berserk. The worldbuilding in your typical light novel setting is so undercooked.

Glad to see someone here is trying to buck that trend.

DaoFox

The problem I have with so many Japanese Light Novels is that the fantasy settings are so generic and don't feel like real worlds with real cultures and ways of life and religion. Compare the setting of Grimgar RE Zero or Goblin Slayer, to Game Of Thrones, Lord Of The Rings, or Berserk. The worldbuilding in your typical light novel setting is so undercooked.

Glad to see someone here is trying to buck that trend.
mostly because the japanese like to base their comics and webnovels off of the same 3 things, a big one of them being classic games from when games were first developed.

whereas as what I am doing is what most western fantasy writers try to do, which is create the lore for their world to be authentic with the setting and not just thrown in as convenient for a plot element.

Llamadragon

Why is there discrimination towards the elderly in a warrior culture? It’s an interesting idea, but will need to be fleshed out. In a war culture, few people would make it to old age in the first place, and the ones who does would likely be knowledgeable and skilled people or they would’ve died on the warfront. Such people would still be useful as teachers or for taking care of and teaching and raising children or just passing down their lifetimes worth of skills.

Scribbler

Why is there discrimination towards the elderly in a warrior culture? It’s an interesting idea, but will need to be fleshed out. In a war culture, few people would make it to old age in the first place, and the ones who does would likely be knowledgeable and skilled people or they would’ve died on the warfront. Such people would still be useful as teachers or for taking care of and teaching and raising children or just passing down their lifetimes worth of skills.
I think it has something to do with the honorable death on the battlefield. They believe that the only way to get into heaven/valhalla is to die on the battlefield. So maybe they don't really discriminate exactly, but pity?

I haven't read the OP yet.

DaoFox

as long as you are fit and able and contributing to society or the war-front,
Not everyone in a nation at war gets sent to the front. there are plenty of administrative or productive etc jobs that do not involve getting harmed. like most forms of discrimination, stems from those who think they don't have enough and thus want to maximise their returns by singling out the easiest targets. it's already a branch of some political angles today that the elderly put a burden on a countries economy, and this would be more so in a world that's closer along the lines of medieval than modern. the view that people are worth what they can contribute, and once they can no longer contribute they lose their worth.

the normal job of the elders in a community are indeed to teach the young with their lifelong wisdom, but everyone is going off to do jobs such that there is nobody for the elderly to teach until the wars calm down, but with the discrimination ongoing, even during the peacetime few think to learn from the wisdom of the elderly. I know enough people alive today just treat the words of advice from the elderly as 'the ramblings of washed up fossils'.

but mostly the discrimination faces those who are crippled and disabled because while the elders can say they have done their fair share and have a long life to prove it, the others are often in the prime of their life and in a condition that prevents them finding most honest work.

the midlands are not particularly a warrior culture. they are more along the lines of being between utilitarian and egalitarian. of course, some nations more so than others, it would be too much of a sweeping statement to determine that the discrimination occurs in all the midland nations, or to the same degree. I would find it standard to assume most if not all the midland nations still use feudal systems or some variant there of.

TheMoonStain

mostly because the japanese like to base their comics and webnovels off of the same 3 things, a big one of them being classic games from when games were first developed.

In my own work I'm trying to create a setting that is the best of both. That is very much reminscent of D&D style fantasy worlds like the examples I said, but not entirely as unmoored from logic and realism as those settings.

Scribbler

Not everyone in a nation at war gets sent to the front. there are plenty of administrative or productive etc jobs that do not involve getting harmed. like most forms of discrimination, stems from those who think they don't have enough and thus want to maximise their returns by singling out the easiest targets. it's already a branch of some political angles today that the elderly put a burden on a countries economy, and this would be more so in a world that's closer along the lines of medieval than modern. the view that people are worth what they can contribute, and once they can no longer contribute they lose their worth.

the normal job of the elders in a community are indeed to teach the young with their lifelong wisdom, but everyone is going off to do jobs such that there is nobody for the elderly to teach until the wars calm down, but with the discrimination ongoing, even during the peacetime few think to learn from the wisdom of the elderly. I know enough people alive today just treat the words of advice from the elderly as 'the ramblings of washed up fossils'.

but mostly the discrimination faces those who are crippled and disabled because while the elders can say they have done their fair share and have a long life to prove it, the others are often in the prime of their life and in a condition that prevents them finding most honest work.

the midlands are not particularly a warrior culture. they are more along the lines of being between utilitarian and egalitarian. of course, some nations more so than others, it would be too much of a sweeping statement to determine that the discrimination occurs in all the midland nations, or to the same degree. I would find it standard to assume most if not all the midland nations still use feudal systems or some variant there of.
You say the world is more along the lines of medieval than modern, so that makes me wonder, what's the life expectancy? I mean, what are the chances that someone will live to a late age, especially compounded with the fact that they're a warrior people. Oh, so you say they aren't a warrior culture. Well shoot.

DaoFox

You say the world is more along the lines of medieval than modern, so that makes me wonder, what's the life expectancy? I mean, what are the chances that someone will live to a late age, especially compounded with the fact that they're a warrior people. Oh, so you say they aren't a warrior culture. Well shoot.
Who knows, lol. There are multiple races and each would have their own life expectancy compounded with cultural and lifestyle decisions that either increase or reduce it. The North has a more free spirit approach I guess, while the South is very structured and organised as a whole entity. So the midlands will be more similar to traditional medieval kingdoms etc, the trick is developing each nation and its culture. Something I figured best done with lots of people.

We could assume that with divine will present, those who worship the gods would see longer lifespans than those who don't etc. But it's all open to interpretation, feel free to just start blocking out a culture for a nation and we can work together to refine it =)

JustHANO

I'm not too sure what exactly you're looking for but I'll try

So is it like, for example: different cultures mix in a few cities in the north or different cultures in their own towns/villages. Assuming the second one I can provide different ideas for tribes and their beliefs.

You said the more is care free so going from that ill put the more chill tribes here and stricter tribes in the south. I'm very confused if the Midland is just a warground for the north and south or if it's it's only place so I won't touch on that

North-
1. a tribe that centeralies around a flower thats a drug. It calms them and they use it offended. With this tribe you can build a back story of them becoming easliy enraged and berserk without the drug. Or maybe the leader is selling them that story and the drugs make the tribe easier to manage.

2. Chameleon people who really wanted to understand everybody. Naturally peaceful but there can be violent individuals. Have a very keen sense of connecting with people and nature. Also can do chameleon stuff like change colors and shit.

3. A acutal beserker tribe. Not the werid kind that eat hearts and shit but like the Vikings where they want to command and conquer. Use to start wars with the north but now that the war with the south is going on they'll play nice with the rest of the north. Law of power is what they follow.

South -
1. A very religious group, like the crusading type.

Yea I got caught up with work and lost all my thoughts lol

DaoFox

I'm not too sure what exactly you're looking for but I'll try

So is it like, for example: different cultures mix in a few cities in the north or different cultures in their own towns/villages. Assuming the second one I can provide different ideas for tribes and their beliefs.

You said the more is care free so going from that ill put the more chill tribes here and stricter tribes in the south. I'm very confused if the Midland is just a warground for the north and south or if it's it's only place so I won't touch on that

North-
1. a tribe that centeralies around a flower thats a drug. It calms them and they use it offended. With this tribe you can build a back story of them becoming easliy enraged and berserk without the drug. Or maybe the leader is selling them that story and the drugs make the tribe easier to manage.

2. Chameleon people who really wanted to understand everybody. Naturally peaceful but there can be violent individuals. Have a very keen sense of connecting with people and nature. Also can do chameleon stuff like change colors and shit.

3. A acutal beserker tribe. Not the werid kind that eat hearts and shit but like the Vikings where they want to command and conquer. Use to start wars with the north but now that the war with the south is going on they'll play nice with the rest of the north. Law of power is what they follow.

South -
1. A very religious group, like the crusading type.

Yea I got caught up with work and lost all my thoughts lol

imagine a planet where the northern hemisphere is almost entirely a single desert continent, the south being an almost entirely frozen continent. the midlands are the equator region and a bit above and below, the sole place the planet can sustain "human" life.

JustHANO

Ok now that I understand a bit more ill suggest an underlying philosophy of Destiny vs freewill because of the chains that secretly move things. I dont want to force this thing and any real direction so I'll wait to add more. I'm more of a story guy than a world building guy. Acutally I like world building, but building with others is weird, anxiety and shit.

DaoFox

Ok now that I understand a bit more ill suggest an underlying philosophy of Destiny vs freewill because of the chains that secretly move things. I dont want to force this thing and any real direction so I'll wait to add more. I'm more of a story guy than a world building guy. Acutally I like world building, but building with others is weird, anxiety and shit.
no problem, the aim is to get as many different views as possible even if they clash and collide. even if 1 persons idea's aren't used at whole they may just become the basis behind one of the nations that will be present and possible a key guiding point of the story at large. My own views would be too narrow to get a result people could embrace. :3

tak

no problem, the aim is to get as many different views as possible even if they clash and collide. even if 1 persons idea's aren't used at whole they may just become the basis behind one of the nations that will be present and possible a key guiding point of the story at large. My own views would be too narrow to get a result people could embrace. :3
Great! I love helping but not being responsible for your story. (not sarcastic. responsibility is heavy man)
The north has unending day, desert and heat
  • People there have bigger personal space because it's too hot to stand near each other.
  • Because of that, they speak very loudly too.
  • Mint is their favorite, it's kinda like milk in our world. mint lotion, mint drinks, mint shampoo, mint breads, etc (idk what their water supply or food staple is, so the products might be wrong, but they love the cooling effect.
  • most of their clothes is closed but breathable
  • if they got wet, they won't bother to change. it'll get dry soon. and the rain is appreciated.
south pole everlasting night, tundras and cold/ice
IDK how cold that is. Can't imagine plants thriving without any sunlight. How can people life without plants? Yes, they can eat meat, but what do the animals eat?
  • Ginger & Chili will be a luxury food.
  • The most romantic gesture is to cuddle, with/out clothes. They do traditionally cuddle, but after the war you cannot trust everyone.
  • Alcohol is their drugs because it gives a relief but bad after effect. (warm, but cause dehydration. dehydration makes your body colder. can die.)
  • most of their clothes is waterproof/thick.
  • if they get wet they panic because they might die of cold.
the midlands region is constantly at war and so has the outlook that as long as you are fit and able and contributing to society or the war-front, you will be treated with equality. this is restricted to those of the same class tier in the hierarchy pyramid, which extreme discrimination to the elderly, crippled and disabled deemed unfit to contribute.
  • They like high functioning autism who can keep working in the backline (not in the front line)
  • Workaholics is highly encouraged (you can search why this is bad)
  • They don't like mutes and deaf but they use their language (hand signals) on the frontline.
  • Their medic is more developed to "keeping people alive" rather than "healing people". For example, you have a fever? short-sighted? hay allergy? if it doesn't kill you who cares.
  • There's not much eldery because of the above reasons. Their organs are failing, but no one care.
  • Severe Alzheimer's patients are deemed useless. (if elderly is only appreciated because of their wisdom and experience, what use is someone with no memory?) Amnesia patients is treated differently depending on their age and how severe it is.
  • Tacticians are highly regarded and protected.
  • Because there's war, anything to raise morale is supported. War heroes, religions, drug, a rise in the hierarchy, prostitution, queer, free sex, up to you.
both the north and south value women above men as regions of harsh climates and struggles against the wilds.
  • i imagine this is because if there like, 50 men and 2 women, children is still rare and they can die of childbirth and boom. no hope for future generation. but if there's 2 men and 50 women, harem.
  • For the same reason as above, infertile women are discriminated.
  • For the same reason as above, legal sex age is lower than our world (but not 12 pls wtf) (so they can give birth faster)
  • female must marry at least 1 male (giving birth). gay? whatever, as long there're babies.
  • Polygamy is frowned upon. Polyandry is encouraged.
  • Almost everyone know how to wash blood away (period & war)
  • no tight skirt. there's mini skirt, high slit skirt, but nothing that hinders movement.

DaoFox

Great! I love helping but not being responsible for your story. (not sarcastic. responsibility is heavy man)
  • People there have bigger personal space because it's too hot to stand near each other.
  • Because of that, they speak very loudly too.
  • Mint is their favorite, it's kinda like milk in our world. mint lotion, mint drinks, mint shampoo, mint breads, etc (idk what their water supply or food staple is, so the products might be wrong, but they love the cooling effect.
  • most of their clothes is closed but breathable
  • if they got wet, they won't bother to change. it'll get dry soon. and the rain is appreciated.
IDK how cold that is. Can't imagine plants thriving without any sunlight. How can people life without plants? Yes, they can eat meat, but what do the animals eat?
  • Ginger & Chili will be a luxury food.
  • The most romantic gesture is to cuddle, with/out clothes. They do traditionally cuddle, but after the war you cannot trust everyone.
  • Alcohol is their drugs because it gives a relief but bad after effect. (warm, but cause dehydration. dehydration makes your body colder. can die.)
  • most of their clothes is waterproof/thick.
  • if they get wet they panic because they might die of cold.

• They like high functioning autism who can keep working in the backline (not in the front line)
  • Workaholics is highly encouraged (you can search why this is bad)
  • They don't like mutes and deaf but they use their language (hand signals) on the frontline.
  • Their medic is more developed to "keeping people alive" rather than "healing people". For example, you have a fever? short-sighted? hay allergy? if it doesn't kill you who cares.
  • There's not much eldery because of the above reasons. Their organs are failing, but no one care.
  • Severe Alzheimer's patients are deemed useless. (if elderly is only appreciated because of their wisdom and experience, what use is someone with no memory?) Amnesia patients is treated differently depending on their age and how severe it is.
  • Tacticians are highly regarded and protected.
  • Because there's war, anything to raise morale is supported. War heroes, religions, drug, a rise in the hierarchy, prostitution, queer, free sex, up to you.

• i imagine this is because if there like, 50 men and 2 women, children is still rare and they can die of childbirth and boom. no hope for future generation. but if there's 2 men and 50 women, harem.
  • For the same reason as above, infertile women are discriminated.
  • For the same reason as above, legal sex age is lower than our world (but not 12 pls wtf) (so they can give birth faster)
  • female must marry at least 1 male (giving birth). gay? whatever, as long there're babies.
  • Polygamy is frowned upon. Polyandry is encouraged.
  • Almost everyone know how to wash blood away (period & war)
  • no tight skirt. there's mini skirt, high slit skirt, but nothing that hinders movement.
no worries the more ideas the better. besides those who have seen my writing can only label my stories as dark fantasy xD expect for things to be rather grim while occasionally lighthearted. LOL

Reactions: tak

DaoFox

Can this just be a generic world-building thread?
It's world-building. but generic? nope. I am doing this with an intent and making it generic denies me that.

a generic world-building thread, would be me as OP making a tons of guides and rules on "how you should do this. how you should do that. things to consider when."

If I could do that I wouldn't be asking for community support. if you want generic, youtube is full of videos made to explain just that.

tak

Now it turns from, a fleeting dream, gore, to dick jokes. What even is my brain
hot area:
  • water spirit (?) is a benevolent spirit. they come and goes after a fleeting kiss, leaving you wanting more but you'll never have her. They are a bringer of life, peace and rest (from the heat), and her presence marks a new beginning. (I'm bullshitting here. 1 day of rain erase 1000 days of heat or something like that)
  • if it rains on a wedding, the couple is blessed
cold area
  • Water spirit is a malevolent spirit. They come dragging you slowly to darkness, leaving your body numb. They are abyss and death (i imagine the place have cold ocean where if people go *plunk* they are most likely dead). May they have mercy on you so you can live another day (you still need water to live)
  • spitting at someone is considered cursing them to die/marking them to be water spirit's victim
war area
  • There're little demons running among the battlefield. This little demons are born from the exploding corpses (decompose, stomach gas, boom. Real thing, can check) (not the demon the exploding corpse)
  • These little demons like food, blood, and mischief.
  • It is considered unlucky to eat and drink until you're full (on the battlefield) because the little demons might come to eat the food in your stomach (more food, more fuel, more to decompose, more gas, more likely to "birth demons")
  • if your wound rot, it's because the little demons are licking it. They do like blood.
  • These little demons might possess/transform to animals (mices, crow, idk what other omnivore eat military rations and corpses)
  • You have flashbacks to the battlefield even if you're retired ages ago? A little demon must've stick to you. What PTSD?
  • You ate your friend to survive and now you're having nightmare? No PTSD, the little demons must've stick to you because they are <mad you stole their food> / <think you're one of them>
Matriarchal country
  • Suck my dick is not swears, but invitation. Kinda like girl saying suck my tits in our world. Eat ass can be both invitation and swearword.
  • Hips size, not dick size (easier childbirth superstition)
  • Goddess of life food™ is milk. Cause milk is produced by mammals with babies.
  • For good luck, carry 2 cheese on you pocket. 2 for balls, boobs, and twins.
  • Sinners may get sick/die after consuming milk products. What allergy are you talking about they're sinners
i wish i could think of ridiculous superstitions like in our world (example touching a statue balls for goodluck) (or not graduating if you don't do x) but i keep thinking on why did this belief spread so..

DaoFox

Now it turns from, a fleeting dream, gore, to dick jokes. What even is my brain
hot area:
  • water spirit (?) is a benevolent spirit. they come and goes after a fleeting kiss, leaving you wanting more but you'll never have her. They are a bringer of life, peace and rest (from the heat), and her presence marks a new beginning. (I'm bullshitting here. 1 day of rain erase 1000 days of heat or something like that)
  • if it rains on a wedding, the couple is blessed
cold area
  • Water spirit is a malevolent spirit. They come dragging you slowly to darkness, leaving your body numb. They are abyss and death (i imagine the place have cold ocean where if people go *plunk* they are most likely dead). May they have mercy on you so you can live another day (you still need water to live)
  • spitting at someone is considered cursing them to die/marking them to be water spirit's victim
war area
  • There're little demons running among the battlefield. This little demons are born from the exploding corpses (decompose, stomach gas, boom. Real thing, can check) (not the demon the exploding corpse)
  • These little demons like food, blood, and mischief.
  • It is considered unlucky to eat and drink until you're full (on the battlefield) because the little demons might come to eat the food in your stomach (more food, more fuel, more to decompose, more gas, more likely to "birth demons")
  • if your wound rot, it's because the little demons are licking it. They do like blood.
  • These little demons might possess/transform to animals (mices, crow, idk what other omnivore eat military rations and corpses)
  • You have flashbacks to the battlefield even if you're retired ages ago? A little demon must've stick to you. What PTSD?
  • You ate your friend to survive and now you're having nightmare? No PTSD, the little demons must've stick to you because they are <mad you stole their food> / <think you're one of them>
Matriarchal country
  • Suck my dick is not swears, but invitation. Kinda like girl saying suck my tits in our world. Eat ass can be both invitation and swearword.
  • Hips size, not dick size (easier childbirth superstition)
  • Goddess of life food™ is milk. Cause milk is produced by mammals with babies.
  • For good luck, carry 2 cheese on you pocket. 2 for balls, boobs, and twins.
  • Sinners may get sick/die after consuming milk products. What allergy are you talking about they're sinners
i wish i could think of ridiculous superstitions like in our world (example touching a statue balls for goodluck) (or not graduating if you don't do x) but i keep thinking on why did this belief spread so..
interesting, so highlight the 2 perspectives of the natural spirits and how the different societies will hold their own bias regarding them, and have the war birth plague and pestilence of a semi-magical nature. so just washing your hands and sterilising things for on-site surgery are not enough because while you will kill the natural diseases, you still have to face the malevolent spiritual ones.

the last section is a bit too specific and out there to be used unfortunately lol. and while a few of the expectations could hold true for humans, when we factor in other races the rules shift and so the traditions need to be a bit more open so that it can spread throughout the whole society rather than a pocket of it. at the very least there need to be key major superstitions that birth plenty of varied minor superstitions among communities.

tak

so just washing your hands and sterilising things for on-site surgery are not enough because while you will kill the natural diseases, you still have to face the malevolent spiritual ones.
oh, I made the superstitions assuming the technology/medical knowledge is not advanced. I assumed by satellites you mean moon and stuff. Myths are kinda a warning of not yet scientifically explained things, so I made it based on that. Unexplained medical conditions may also lead to more superstitions like autistic children are thought to be "kidnapped and replaced by fairies" or something (not my nation's myth i just read it somewhere) because they act differently than normal people.
But if your story is modern and realistic, no need to change it to fantasy. it feels like i'm derailing you if you do that
edit: no double posting

i'm adding pics of the natural phenomenon i mentioned which become my base of the myth creations.
a year of drought erased by a day of rain-translated from my country's idiom. it actually means a long good deed ruined by a short bad deed. wiki link
exploding whales

RAIN IN DESERT CAN CAUSE DEATH, I WAS WRONG. it depends on how dry your world's desert is, rain can bring life or death.
penguins chicks freezing to death because of rain

Last edited: