Recommendations LGBT romance (m/m & m/nb & m/trans) (BL???)

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
:blob_cookie::blob_cookie::blob_cookie: Heyo heyo! I'd love to hear recs for any kind of m-slash fiction, although preferably avoiding BL/yaoi styles.

Basically you could say that I'm looking for lgbt fiction without it necessarily sinking into the yaoi uke/seme/gong/shou tropes.

Also really like trans-spectrum characters (either transmale or transfemale or nonbinary) in the pairing too, so that's an extra plus.

Preference for fantasy settings because imo it's not that hard to find modern-day fiction (and fanfiction) out there.

EDIT: To avoid misunderstanding, I'm fine with straight transfemale (any kind of lgbt protagonist) x male romance too

Last edited:

Owl

Nervous writer
Squint Sooooo you just want to avoid the usual tropes? Then I guess I could suggest my own story :blob_whistle: I should be doing something right in avoiding tropes according to my readers. here it is!

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Squint Sooooo you just want to avoid the usual tropes? Then I guess I could suggest my own story :blob_whistle: I should be doing something right in avoiding tropes according to my readers. here it is!
:blob_aww: Thanks!

bjwebb

I_Love_Cats

I recommend my novel. She is an ABO. I don't know about fitting into the trope yaoi seme or uke. I am trying to work in a different way with this ABO style.

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
It isn’t gay if one of the characters in the pairing is a trans woman, since trans women aren’t men... or did you mean you’re looking for mlm content but wouldn’t mind straight content if the woman is trans?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
It isn’t gay if one of the characters in the pairing is a trans woman, since trans women aren’t men... or did you mean you’re looking for mlm content but wouldn’t mind straight content if the woman is trans?
Yup! That's what I meant!

Honestly I'm looking for something where the main love interest is male.

The protagonist matters to me much less, although cisfemale het romance has a different atmosphere to me than LGBT romance.

I invite you to take a look at my own book, Twisted Magic. It's m/m, but absolutely not tropey in the BL way. It's fantasy-romance, with a touch of horror. https://www.scribblehub.com/series/81372/twisted-magic/

My other series, Serpent's Kiss, has m/m as well as m/m/f and f/f in it. As the series goes on, there will be trans and nonbinary characters, although none of them are romantic interests in book 1. https://www.scribblehub.com/series/81365/serpents-kiss/
I recommend my novel. She is an ABO. I don't know about fitting into the trope yaoi seme or uke. I am trying to work in a different way with this ABO style.
Thank you for the recs! :blob_aww:

PrincessFelicie

Catgirl Alchemist
Yeah, I’ve probably read too much into your wording because of some eyebrow raising choices of word. Sorry! If I find any trans or mlm romance I’ll send it your way.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
Yeah, I’ve probably read too much into your wording because of some eyebrow raising choices of word. Sorry! If I find any trans or mlm romance I’ll send it your way.
It's my bad! I was imprecise! >.< Honestly any kind of lgbt characters are nice to read.

Tbh I was specifically thinking of enby and transmale before transfemale, but it's probably natural to think of transwomen since it's a lot more common...

Silvareiel

Hi there ^_^ I want to recommend you my novel as well. It's mainly a Fantasy/Action/Romance novel, with a slow mxm romance. Don't know if it's within what you're looking for but, oh well, just take a peek! :s_wink:

RyuTar YinYuan

nani

This does not really fit your requirements but I just have to recommended this. It's not a book but a tv series, lol. I've recently watched 2gether The Series. It's a Thai BL tv series. It's not cringy at all. To be honest, I'm not fan of yaoi. But I really like this one.

It doesn't have fantasy elements.

If I will recommend a novel though, Reborn as my Love Rival's Wife. You can look it up on NU. The MC is a male reborn on a female body. Ye boi. It's the best that I've read that deals with the thought of falling in love with the "same sex". The MC is a straight guy before being reborn.

Blossom_From_Fear

:blob_cookie::blob_cookie::blob_cookie: Heyo heyo! I'd love to hear recs for any kind of m-slash fiction, although preferably avoiding BL/yaoi styles.

Basically you could say that I'm looking for lgbt fiction without it necessarily sinking into the yaoi uke/seme/gong/shou tropes.

Also really like trans-spectrum characters (either transmale or transfemale or nonbinary) in the pairing too, so that's an extra plus.

Preference for fantasy settings because imo it's not that hard to find modern-day fiction (and fanfiction) out there.

EDIT: To avoid misunderstanding, I'm fine with straight transfemale (any kind of lgbt protagonist) x male romance too

Unsure if this fits, but there is some MLM in this story and more to come eventually:

It's a compilation of short stories/one-shot fanfics that are primarily romantic or share a romantic-esque theme

lilGoat

I guess I'll shamelessly put my story out there, since I just started uploading and would love some feedback. It's m/m in a theocracy.

bafflinghaze

Not a fantasy setting, but my friend is writing a nonbinary/transman romance posting over at AO3 (as an original fic):

Lir is desperate for work. When a shady ad for a swimming instructor drops in his lap, he jumps at the chance - and into a manor house with an enormous pool. How will his life change when he meets the eccentric owner Cal Lê?​

Lir is a transman, and Cal Le is nonbinary ^_^ They're also posting it on tapas.

For a fantasy setting, the following is ... also a nonbinary/transman pairing story over on AO3:

Malcolm Vodun is a young, but wickedly-skilled necromancer and Medium who is recruited by the Mage's Order to act as a Dark Priest for the province of Forlorn. He takes on jobs from all over the province, dealing with everything from the walking dead to restless spirits. However, Malcolm finds that not everything within the Order is exactly as it seems. In battling corruption within the Order, powerful Priests, and a much larger mystery, Malcolm's own talents are put the test.​

You might also like the M/M works by Diamond_Raven (also on AO3 lol, because that's where I hang out a lot)
  • Raindrops In The Desert while there is a clear dom and sub, these roles only apply when they're doing their scenes, and it's chock filled with communication
  • while Breaking Down Walls has a reversible/switching couple

Finally, I would recommend the LGBT Slash Pile if you wanted to look for more fics. You said you weren't looking for BL/yaoi, by which I take to mean you don't really care for asian gay-romance tropes, so the LGBT Slash Pile should be more geared to western tropes instead/have other queer recomendations that might be more to your style. I hope this helps?