LitRPGs and trending! Attention required!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
We all know that LitRPGs are immensely popular for reasons of demographics and the inherent implications of such a system. :blob_evil_two: Even the greatest loser can become strong with a system.

Now that is not the issue. Being popular is not a problem per se, but it is definitely problematic when LitRPGs stories become too popular and begin to exert a negative influence on the diversity of webnovel writing in general.

What do I mean? Let's give a brief look at today's trending.

1594461913664.png

Overpowered Death Mage In Another World = LitRPG

Origin Seeker = LitRPG

Cinnamon Bun = LitRPG

Rat In The Dungeon = LitRPG

Arcflame, the strongest tree-growing dragon = non LitRPG

The Reincarnated Vampire Just Wants To Enjoy Her New Life = LitRPG

Unsightly Gluttony = non LitRPG

Why is my Harem World a Yandere Nightmare = LitRPG

Reborn as the Duke’s Daughter ~ The Goddesses are Ruining my Life! = non LitRPG

:blob_evil_two: As you can see, 6 out of 9 stories are derivatives of the LitRPG genre which is popular to a degree that it threatens the biodiversity on scribblehub, preventing non-LitRPG stories from entering the apex of exposure. Every author wants to get there, because trending means views, and views mean readers, and readers mean comment regardless of quality. Very simple formula.

- So what do I want? :blob_reach:

I want more exposure for non-LitRPG stories!

- How do I want to achieve that? :blob_reach:

Remove LitRPGs completely from trending and give them an own, separate trending list. Something like a special LitRPG trending bar just for them where they can mess with each other in a death match.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Assurb doesn't seem to realize release filtering exists. If he really hates litRPG so much he can just filter it off his front page and wash his hands of his whole thing. If anyone else cared about it, they'd do the same thing.

So in light of this new knowledge, what do we now know? That this is a solution searching for a problem, because both readers and writers already have everything they need if they don't want to (or want to only) see a particular genre.

True enough. :ROFLMAO: I never searched a story on this site actively and I won't deny that. 100% I read on scribble I stumbled across via the forum. Check out my story, read it types.

But what I know is that 1 click makes a big difference in terms of economy. 75% of people don't go past the first page on a Google search. Same probably here on scribble. 75% of people - percentage completely made up - will never bother to use the search function in combination with trending. :blob_cookie:

binarysoap

Currently Lurking
But what I know is that 1 click makes a big difference in terms of economy. 75% of people don't go past the first page on a Google search. Same probably here on scribble. 75% of people - percentage completely made up - will never bother to use the search function in combination with trending. :blob_cookie:

Not saying that extra clicks do not make a difference, but I'm pretty sure a good portion of people don't go past the first page on a Google search BECAUSE they found what they are looking for already.
And if your 75% people don't and they found what they want already on the current front page of SH, good for them. And the other people who don't like what they see can always filter or use the search option.

So we don't really need some extra trending just for LitRPG.

Ral

It doesn't have to be a hellhole, though. We're not trying to become the next Wattpad.
Never said this is a hellhole, though, or I want it to be one.

Why is it that when you disagree with something people assumes you take its polar opposite.

What is with this black-and-white view. If it is not perfection, then it is a hellhole. If it is not 5 star, then it is 1 star. If you don't like this (feminist) movie then you are sexist. Why can people only see the extremes.

Last edited:

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Never said this is a hellhole, though, or I want it to be one.

Why is it that when you disagree with something people assumes you take its polar opposite.

When you can't have a civilised discussion about features on a writing site because people keep turning it into a full-fledged personal brawl with effing and swearing, a hellhole is what it becomes.

Ral

When you can't have a civilised discussion about features on a writing site because people keep turning it into a full-fledged personal brawl with effing and swearing, a hellhole is what it becomes.
Your opinion.

This is not even true. Just because this turns into a brawl doesn't mean all of them are.

And you are abusing the meaning of hellhole. Oh, two people are being uncivilized! This place is now a hellhole!

Seriously, this black-and-white, extremist view is just nonsensical.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Your opinion.

This is not even true. Just because this turns into a brawl doesn't mean all of them are.

And you are abusing the meaning of hellhole. Oh, two people are being uncivilized! This place is now a hellhole!

Seriously, this black-and-white, extremist view is just nonsensical.

Whatever you want to think. People who want to fight won't stop no matter what you say anyway. I've got better stuff to do than argue about nothing here.

when has it turned into THAT

That's what you look like from the outside.

Ral

Whatever you want to think. People who want to fight won't stop no matter what you say anyway.
And same thing can be said to you.
I've got better stuff to do than argue about nothing here.
Then why did you start it?

Seriously you are like a kid who want to get that fruit on a tree and failed, ended in shouting: "Who wants it! It would not be good anyway! Why waste my time on a rotten fruit." Then walk away with scorn.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
And same thing can be said to you.

Then why did you start it?

Seriously you are like a kid who want to get that fruit on a tree and failed, ended in shouting: "Who wants it! It would not be good anyway! Why waste my time on a rotten fruit." Then walk away with scorn.

I didn't start an argument - I clarified the point I made earlier. Arguing would be going round in circles with you here unnecessarily.

Ral

Replying to Flashwolf96
SH is not this idealized vision you pictured.
Then you . . .
It doesn't have to be a hellhole, though. We're not trying to become the next Wattpad.
Hmmmm . . .
I didn't start an argument - I clarified the point I made earlier. Arguing would be going round in circles with you here unnecessarily.
Sure . . . You just clarified something to me about a point you made earlier.

Moonpearl

The Yuri Empress
Replying to Flashwolf96

Then you . . .

Hmmmm . . .

Sure. You just clarified something to me about a point you made earlier.

That wasn't an argument. If you read everything you come across as an argument, that's your problem. A reasonable person wouldn't take so much offense to that.

I don't care enough about changing your opinion to sit here all night fighting about nothing when I have work to prepare for. It doesn't matter enough to me.

Good night.

Ral

That wasn't an argument. If you read everything you come across as an argument, that's your problem. A reasonable person wouldn't take so much offense to that.
You are the one who labeled it as an argument. See?:
I've got better stuff to do than argue about nothing here.
And now you are chastising me for viewing this as an argument? I viewed it as an argument because you said it is an argument.
That wasn't an argument.
Backtracking now?
If you read everything you come across as an argument, that's your problem. A reasonable person wouldn't take so much offense to that.
I wasn't offended at all but I do have to point out things. If pointing these things out to you is being offended, that is your problem. A reasonable person . . .
I don't care enough about changing your opinion to sit here all night fighting about nothing when I have work to prepare for. It doesn't matter enough to me.

Good night.
As if you didn't start it in the first place. And my opinion is that SH community isn't as perfect as Flashwolf96 views it.

Last edited:

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
That's what you look like from the outside.
I argued my points, then he rebutted with insults, I returned the favour, further elaborated on my points, and that was that.

What the hell did you see?

Ral

I argued my points, then he rebutted with insults, I returned the favour, further elaborated on my points, and that was that.

What the hell did you see?
Look at my exchange with her.

She kinda just see things in extremes of black and white.

LostLibrarian

On today's trending we have 5 LitRPG and 8 Isekai novels.
Should we start the whole discussion anew for the Isekai genre?
I mean, it's clearly more popular than LitRPG...

In all honesty: we either need a "all in one"-solution where readers can either edit the genres that are shown on the trending or we need a different trending system where all genres have their own list, etc.

But going after one genre specifically - whether the foundation is there or not - will just lead to new problems. Either with LitRPG authors or the readers. Or because other authors want a similar solution for their genre. Like a dedicated Girls Love-list or an Isekai-list or whatever.

As non-LitRPG "GameLit" writer I understand the frustration, when new stories get a bigger push due to a single tag. But in that regard... we authors have actively chosen not to write LitRPG. I decided for myself that I didn't want pages of detailed stats and tables for the story I wanted to write. Nothing wrong with that in itself but it didn't fit the vision for my story. And this is the consequence of my own choice. Seems unfair to go after other authors/readers because I myself didn't want to play the same game.

In the end I just wanted to write "my story" and not a "trending story"...

Ral

On today's trending we have 5 LitRPG and 8 Isekai novels.
I mean, it's clearly more popular than LitRPG...
I guess.
In all honesty: we either need a "all in one"-solution where readers can either edit the genres that are shown on the trending or we need a different trending system where all genres have their own list, etc.
There is the Release Filtering but it only works on the main page and if you are subscribed to SH.

The other solution is what many platforms do. It still have problems though, mainly, you can't represent all the genres (there are practically hundreds of them) in the main page. People often won't scroll that low so only the ones on the top would receive any significant attention.
But going after one genre specifically - whether the foundation is there or not - will just lead to new problems. Either with LitRPG authors or the readers. Or because other authors want a similar solution for their genre. Like a dedicated Girls Love-list or an Isekai-list or whatever.
And we can't fit it all in the main page without making it cluttered. Not that people would scroll all the way down anyway.
As non-LitRPG "GameLit" writer I understand the frustration, when new stories get a bigger push due to a single tag. But in that regard... we authors have actively chosen not to write LitRPG. I decided for myself that I didn't want pages of detailed stats and tables for the story I wanted to write. Nothing wrong with that in itself but it didn't fit the vision for my story. And this is the consequence of my own choice. Seems unfair to go after other authors/readers because I myself didn't want to play the same game.
The main issue with Trending is that it is just a popularity contest. It is not concerned with quality or taste of the reader or anything.
In the end I just wanted to write "my story" and not a "trending story"...
Good for you. Too bad that it might not get attention.

D4isuke

Depressed Pervert who loves writing good smut.

As the person who loves "quality" isekais, I can say that isekai trending is pretty absurd nowadays like writing an isekai story for the sake of being ISEKAI... just as that. It's not like Re: Zero when Subaru was summoned by Satella whom he gave her a light of the world, and other series that had been implementing secretly behind the concept of isekai. Every theme should have the answers of "What? Who? How? When? and Why?" and addressing the connections could make what Isekai can be all about in terms of meaningful quality.

As such, I'm not writing an Isekai story because it's trending. I'm writing an isekai story because I love to write my story as an escapist from the reality.