Recommendations Looking for a few niche things

ubot

I don't think its on this website but I really want to find something along the lines of the early parts of Road to Kingdom. Along the lines of before Agier has sex with Lucy. Really clean brutal story. Brutal setting. brutal fights. No aversion to smut but also not with smut dominating most of the story.

Also if there's just a straight seinen of the romance of the three kindoms style romp with some bloke just warlording about that would be fun

ubot

It's on Fanfiction.net

I also rec ASOIAF fics on there for the specific thing you're looking for. Lots of Male Leads (both canon characters and ocs) that do that.
Might be worth a look. Still Dunk and Egg are a bit of a favorite of mine actually. Its pretty rare that you can find nice stuff like that. Only thing with that sort of chilled vibe that I've found is Saihate no Paladin which is a personal favorite.

I don't really know what I liked so much about the early chapters of Road to Kingdom but I think that the author could have been really good.

Vaerama

Flow. Incredibly brutal, from the psychological to the physical: I’ve never seen an author let their character take hits that actually carry on and matter. Lost fights, torture, brutality, psychosis... it’s literally the only case of split personality that I’ve ever enjoyed reading.

It’s also on RRL, million views there or something. It’s 5000 pages of pure, unadulterated, intensity, plots, and brilliantly clever suffering.

There’s maybe 8 sex scenes over the course of all of those pages, and every one of them is useful to the story (in particular their effect upon the psychology of the main character).

Earlier today I learned that “body horror” was a thing, and so I was all ‘omg I guess my thing is horror’, but I’ll be removing that again shortly (tomorrow, when I drop the next chapter), because it’s only a *tragedy* with horrible depictions of suffering/gore.

No worries about that with Flow though: it is genuinely horrific on an interpersonal level that I could never manage.

ubot

Flow. Incredibly brutal, from the psychological to the physical: I’ve never seen an author let their character take hits that actually carry on and matter. Lost fights, torture, brutality, psychosis... it’s literally the only case of split personality that I’ve ever enjoyed reading.

It’s also on RRL, million views there or something. It’s 5000 pages of pure, unadulterated, intensity, plots, and brilliantly clever suffering.

There’s maybe 8 sex scenes over the course of all of those pages, and every one of them is useful to the story (in particular their effect upon the psychology of the main character).

Earlier today I learned that “body horror” was a thing, and so I was all ‘omg I guess my thing is horror’, but I’ll be removing that again shortly (tomorrow, when I drop the next chapter), because it’s only a *tragedy* with horrible depictions of suffering/gore.

No worries about that with Flow though: it is genuinely horrific on an interpersonal level that I could never manage.
Might give it a shot. I mean the problem with Road to Kingdom is that there's a graphic sex scene taking up half of most chapters so its pretty extreme. Quite sad because the start is pretty immersive and unique. Was looking good for a while. Now its full on retarded but its still a legitimately good story line in terms of just a warrior rising to prominence and being a warlord.

If the author toned it down with the sex it would be amazing but you can't have everything

Vaerama

Might give it a shot. I mean the problem with Road to Kingdom is that there's a graphic sex scene taking up half of most chapters so its pretty extreme. Quite sad because the start is pretty immersive and unique. Was looking good for a while. Now its full on retarded but its still a legitimately good story line in terms of just a warrior rising to prominence and being a warlord.

If the author toned it down with the sex it would be amazing but you can't have everything

Flow, chapter seven was what really hooked me at the start. Their decision to do that to their character in chapter *7* in a series which has 40+ chapter arcs... was so astounding to me that I just had to know more. 'Would this author really do such a thing justice?' It's such a brazen thing, and I thought they surely would not be able to actually bring the psychological strain of it to bear, for what kind of person would even do that to their characters at all?

Chapter 7's events read to me like a solid 'dark night of the soul', for the MC's way of life, and much of who they are is put to death in that chapter due to a physical event. I was just looking around at chapter 17ish or so, looking for the moment when I knew Flow was special, and I had to rapidly force myself away and close the page, because I was about to get enamored with re-reading the damn thing for the *fifth* time! >___<

Absolutely try Flow. https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/15835/flow Might be a better read on RRL for ya (I love having any kind of darkmode myself), idk, since I found it on the wordpress at first.

Edit: Now I'm all drawn towards rereading it again. ;___; But but... but... writing....?