Looking for Insights? (Closed, Thank you!)

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
Hello there.

If you are looking for someone who could give you some insights into your story, feel free to post it here.

I like reviewing and analysing stories just as much or perhaps just a little less than writing them. On top of that, I required some reading recommendations too, I realized I need to expand the amount and types of stories I am currently consuming.

I cannot comment on whether my feedback will be valuable or not, but I can assure you that it will be earnest and methodical. I would be glad and open to receiving any stories, but I would prefer not to review mindless Echhi titles and sorts.

If you would like, you can also review my stories. I needed feedback as well to improve the stories I tell. I figured instead of making another thread I would just ask for it here.

Thank you! :)

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Hello there.

If you are looking for someone who could give you some insights into your story, feel free to post it here.

I like reviewing and analysing stories just as much or perhaps just a little less than writing them. On top of that, I required some reading recommendations too, I realized I need to expand the amount and types of stories I am currently consuming.

I cannot comment on whether my feedback will be valuable or not, but I can assure you that it will be earnest and methodical. I would be glad and open to receiving any stories, but I would prefer not to review mindless Echhi titles and sorts.

If you would like, you can also review my stories. I needed feedback as well to improve the stories I tell. I figured instead of making another thread I would just ask for it here.

I would love to take you up on that offer! I promise you that it isn't anything like mindless smut or anything. Definitely is unique though. I could use more ratings and reviews.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Hello there.

:blob_hide: Seamlessly recommending my stories. *simply click on the stories in my signature*

PS You should use a signature too.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
How do you do it on laptop?

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.

Before I give any of my views on your stories, I would like to clarify that I am a novice at both reading and writing, I tread over a line which barely differentiates literates and illiterates. On that line too I tend to lean more toward the latter than the former. Tsunawatari.

So, take my view with a grain of salt, though I do hope it will be useful to you in some form.

With that said, what a great beginning! I read only the first two chapters, stealing time to read them in between busy work hours. That is a testament to how much I was invested in the story since the beginning.

In the more traditional forms of writing, I have noticed that it is difficult to form a relationship with the character right off the bat. You cannot like them, hate them, admire them, or give a view on them basically until at least you have spent some time with them.

I reckon this happens because, in more traditional writing styles, one first builds the character, his background, and his in general thinking pattern before putting him in circumstances where we can predict what he is going to do.

Here, however, I have seen people throwing their characters into situations even before introducing how they think. On multiple occasions, I was taken aback by just how much my expectations were subverted by the behaviour of Mry.

Minor spoilers ahead for that story ahead, by the way, for anyone else reading.

One of the first things I learnt about Mry was that she was saving and working hard (clearing a perimeter full of herbs takes dedication) to secure enough funds for her mother's sake. This (mis)led me to think that Mry must be a noble girl with a pure character. Boy was I wrong. Often such expectations are subverted, one tends to think that this happened because the character wasn't well-written/ developed, and lacked personality. But such wasn't the case with Mry, she felt more real in fact. Perhaps making a down-to-earth relatable character with glaring flaws and living with them without degrading self is something that helps us find kinship with the character.

Though with that said, I did feel in some instances that she acted a little out of character. I won't comment anything on it yet though, still have a long way before I understand the working of Mry. I would prefer reading further before suggesting anything on that.

Moving to the actual story, I reckon that it was pretty solid. The introduction was decent and the world-building was subtle. There was the right balance between giving essential information regarding the world that the viewer requires with not questioning their intelligence at the same time. Perhaps it's just me but the amount of exposition dumped was very little in the first two chapters compared to other titles with similar settings, which makes me wonder whether it was intentional or not. Or perhaps I have been exposed to such tropes so often that I don't feel overwhelmed by such information dumps anymore.

The storytelling style is subjective, and I reckon yours is quite good. Though I personally prefer stories which are a bit more detailed in their settings. I am not saying your story lacked description, in fact, I reckon quite the opposite was true because the amount of description of stuff felt just right. But perhaps moving forward you can heed the settings a lot more. I just feel that if the story is set in another world, I should be able to feel the world more. I really liked the description of the smugglers' hideout, at the same time, I also think it could have been a bit better and the forest a bit more elaborate. But each to their own.

I think the thing you did best was comedy. Even the character chemistry is completely comedic. I noticed the use of unorthodox storytelling methods to deliver humour, very interesting. I am quite sure Luna is completely tamable by Mry, it reminded me of how Asa tames The War Devil in CSM (If you have read the manga).

Commenting further on the world-building, I like how in the moments of the intensity you casually dropped names of perhaps important Gods, it is such a clever move as it sort of subconsciously feeds important information onto the reader's mind and has an impact on them later when these aforementioned characters are briefly mentioned.

I also really liked how you told the information necessary for the progression of the plot through a legitimate article. It enriches the world for the reader while providing both contexts of past/sociology and information.

Mt first impression, when I saw the story with all of my biases was that this must have been another story where the writer does not care about his characters and just lazily writes them to be self-insertions. I was initially going to read the first ten chapters, give a review and forget about this story. But now after reading just the first two chapters, I have realized how wrong I was, and I am sure you love and care about your characters! Only then were you be able to connect them with us so well. Now I am planning to read this through to its end slowly.

I would admit, whenever I used to see an anime pfp and a story cover with a waifu on it, and a dumb generic title, I would immediately be turned down by the prospect of another generic story written for the indulgences of fantasy creatures not meant for humans... Er... consumption? and I was justified in my views due to my formal experiences with such stories. They rarely had a cohesive narrative or any plot to them, from a literary point of view, they were absolute debitage no man should ever experience.

Though my views since have been changed, because of people like you who clearly passionately want to tell deep stories about enriched worlds they built with care and populated with interesting characters.

Heck, there is so much of this stuff out there, the deconstruction of this genre is now a construction for tropes. Yet, rarely do I stumble upon a generic title. All titles in this genre are unique, intriguing and nutcase-y.

Overall, I reckon the characters being a little more realistic, sticking to their mindsets, and a description more elaborate would do good for your story.
Though I like a fast-paced story just as much as the next guy, adding a few more details can help it feel less rushed. But still, a banger story.

I don't reckon a feedback is a one-off wall of words telling a few aspects of the story. I believe aspects of stories are much wider than the story itself, for any good story at least. Hence, feedback is useful in a true sense only if there is a conversation.

I can't gauge many aspects of stories and the factors affecting them simply because I am unaware of what your purpose in writing this story is. Therefore, I ask you to elaborate on it. Looking forward to a conversation with you :)

P.S. Forgive me if anything felt offensive, I don't mean to be. I wrote this in instalments, perhaps some parts may be a bit incoherent, sorry for that.
@Civilian @RainHarlow @TheMonotonePuppet @Assurbanipal_II I have seen your stories too, thank you for such excellent recommendations. I think they all look very diverse and different from my normal reading routine.

I will read and review them in the upcoming days too. Thank you.
Wow, posts merge?
Yep. You even get a notification.

Last edited:

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Before I give any of my views on your stories, I would like to clarify that I am a novice at both reading and writing, I tread over a line which barely differentiates literates and illiterates. On that line too I tend to lean more toward the latter than the former. Tsunawatari.

So, take my view with a grain of salt, though I do hope it will be useful to you in some form.

With that said, what a great beginning! I read only the first two chapters, stealing time to read them in between busy work hours. That is a testament to how much I was invested in the story since the beginning.

In the more traditional forms of writing, I have noticed that it is difficult to form a relationship with the character right off the bat. You cannot like them, hate them, admire them, or give a view on them basically until at least you have spent some time with them.

I reckon this happens because, in more traditional writing styles, one first builds the character, his background, and his in general thinking pattern before putting him in circumstances where we can predict what he is going to do.

Here, however, I have seen people throwing their characters into situations even before introducing how they think. On multiple occasions, I was taken aback by just how much my expectations were subverted by the behaviour of Mry.

One of the first things I learnt about Mry was that she was saving and working hard (clearing a perimeter full of herbs takes dedication) to secure enough funds for her mother's sake. This (mis)led me to think that Mry must be a noble girl with a pure character. Boy was I wrong. Often such expectations are subverted, one tends to think that this happened because the character wasn't well-written/ developed, and lacked personality. But such wasn't the case with Mry, she felt more real in fact. Perhaps making a down-to-earth relatable character with glaring flaws and living with them without degrading self is something that helps us find kinship with the character.

Though with that said, I did feel in some instances that she acted a little out of character. I won't comment anything on it yet though, still have a long way before I understand the working of Mry. I would prefer reading further before suggesting anything on that.

Moving to the actual story, I reckon that it was pretty solid. The introduction was decent and the world-building was subtle. There was the right balance between giving essential information regarding the world that the viewer requires with not questioning their intelligence at the same time. Perhaps it's just me but the amount of exposition dumped was very little in the first two chapters compared to other titles with similar settings, which makes me wonder whether it was intentional or not. Or perhaps I have been exposed to such tropes so often that I don't feel overwhelmed by such information dumps anymore.

The storytelling style is subjective, and I reckon yours is quite good. Though I personally prefer stories which are a bit more detailed in their settings. I am not saying your story lacked description, in fact, I reckon quite the opposite was true because the amount of description of stuff felt just right. But perhaps moving forward you can heed the settings a lot more. I just feel that if the story is set in another world, I should be able to feel the world more. I really liked the description of the smugglers' hideout, at the same time, I also think it could have been a bit better and the forest a bit more elaborate. But each to their own.

I think the thing you did best was comedy. Even the character chemistry is completely comedic. I noticed the use of unorthodox storytelling methods to deliver humour, very interesting. I am quite sure Luna is completely tamable by Mry, it reminded me of how Asa tames The War Devil in CSM (If you have read the manga).

Commenting further on the world-building, I like how in the moments of the intensity you casually dropped names of perhaps important Gods, it is such a clever move as it sort of subconsciously feeds important information onto the reader's mind and has an impact on them later when these aforementioned characters are briefly mentioned.

I also really liked how you told the information necessary for the progression of the plot through a legitimate article. It enriches the world for the reader while providing both contexts of past/sociology and information.

Mt first impression, when I saw the story with all of my biases was that this must have been another story where the writer does not care about his characters and just lazily writes them to be self-insertions. I was initially going to read the first ten chapters, give a review and forget about this story. But now after reading just the first two chapters, I have realized how wrong I was, and I am sure you love and care about your characters! Only then were you be able to connect them with us so well. Now I am planning to read this through to its end slowly.

I would admit, whenever I used to see an anime pfp and a story cover with a waifu on it, and a dumb generic title, I would immediately be turned down by the prospect of another generic story written for the indulgences of fantasy creatures not meant for humans... Er... consumption? and I was justified in my views due to my formal experiences with such stories. They rarely had a cohesive narrative or any plot to them, from a literary point of view, they were absolute debitage no man should ever experience.

Though my views since have been changed, because of people like you who clearly passionately want to tell deep stories about enriched worlds they built with care and populated with interesting characters.

Heck, there is so much of this stuff out there, the deconstruction of this genre is now a construction for tropes. Yet, rarely do I stumble upon a generic title. All titles in this genre are unique, intriguing and nutcase-y.

Overall, I reckon the characters being a little more realistic, sticking to their mindsets, and a description more elaborate would do good for your story.
Though I like a fast-paced story just as much as the next guy, adding a few more details can help it feel less rushed. But still, a banger story.

I don't reckon a feedback is a one-off wall of words telling a few aspects of the story. I believe aspects of stories are much wider than the story itself, for any good story at least. Hence, feedback is useful in a true sense only if there is a conversation.

I can't gauge many aspects of stories and the factors affecting them simply because I am unaware of what your purpose in writing this story is. Therefore, I ask you to elaborate on it. Looking forward to a conversation with you :)

P.S. Forgive me if anything felt offensive, I don't mean to be. I wrote this in instalments, perhaps some parts may be a bit incoherent, sorry for that.
@Civilian @RainHarlow @TheMonotonePuppet @Assurbanipal_II I have seen your stories too, thank you for such excellent recommendations. I think they all look very diverse and different from my normal reading routine.

Wow, posts merge?
Thanks for the feedback. As for Myr's inconsistencies, that's because I hadn't figured out her character at that time. Curse my past self for focusing on the world more. Anyways, thanks so much for the feedback!
Thanks for the feedback. As for Myr's inconsistencies, that's because I hadn't figured out her character at that time. Curse my past self for focusing on the world more. Anyways, thanks so much for the feedback!
Edit: You made me realize that I forgot to make a Magic System. How silly of me.
Time to spend a week on this...
1684920368007.png

Last edited:

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.

Edit: You made me realize that I forgot to make a Magic System. How silly of me.
Time to spend a week on this...
View attachment 18591
Ooh, what a thrilling way to spend a week! (Insert: Harold I am fine).

Feel free to ask for any help :)

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!

Wow, posts merge?
I really enjoyed your essay on APieceOfRock's story (sarcasm not intended; actually genuine)! It was fun to read!

Alseki.

Laurant Writing Romans.
Taking up the offer²
Specter: Sovereign
Another excellent story! Thanks for introducing me to it.

The whole time reading it, I was just reminded of two things: Lycoris Recoil and Resident Evil. The former due to its similar character and the latter due to its similar setting and character names [Clair and ‘Leon' (one word off from ‘Yeon') are characters of RE] so it was pretty amusing to me. Plus, I liked both series so I naturally liked yours, which was well-executed in terms of writing and pacing.

The story itself, subjective as it may be, was really intriguing to me despite following various tropes naturally used. I can see we have got a good cast of characters and a good intent (not in terms of morals, in terms of logic) that clarifies why they do stuff. Your writing skills are off the charts and your scene setting is excellent. I would suggest though that you describe the area more, especially considering how much we jump from places in this story (Although you do specify time and location).

The fight scenes were really well-written, there was a smooth flow yet it felt chaotic, a hard-to-pull move but you have achieved it successfully. I was also impressed by the fact that you managed to describe the characters' personalities during the fight scenes, but I also think that it could have been utilised more.

The multiple aspects that you bring together through various periods of time adds a depth to the story and world-building, like referencing the past of this world and the history of the company, but I think there might be a small problem there.

If these Specters are such a huge threat to the very survival of humanity that they almost wiped us out several times, why is the world letting a private organization handle it, let alone leaving it to die? That needs to be addressed (perhaps it is in the later chapters which I haven't read yet, so sorry and please don't spoil it because I want to read it). So world-building could use a little elaboration on there.

Finally, I reckon that the cast introduction was a bit weak, though it could be the case that I am at fault for not understanding it properly. The thing is, I confused the characters a lot at the start. So, just wanted to mention that. I reckon too many characters were introduced too quickly, so I mixed some attributes with others.

Overall, really professionally written. Perhaps could use a bit of world-building and character specification, but besides that, a cool story touching multiple genres and a cool cast of characters with clear intents.

As I always say, feedback is a conversation. So, looking forward to hearing back from you.