Recommendations Looking for stories where the protagonist researchers/tries to understand magic

KYO297

Hi, I'm looking for fantasy stories where the main(ish) focus is magic research. I'm mostly hoping for explanations of the magic system, descriptions of experiments, creation of unique spells, etc.

Even better if the main character uses their new knowledge and understanding to live an easygoing life of exploration and adventure.

Can be isekai, LitRPG, GameLit. Or not. Male or female MC. I don't really care about those.
Just please, not excessive amounts of trauma, drama, politics or war. Or very Chinese style cultivation.

The Reincarnation of Alysara is a good example, Unparalleled was also a great read but it skipped a lot of what I'm interested in - explanations. Isekai'd Shoggoth was fantastic too but a lot of the magic knowledge is presented as an established fact. For a good reason but not exactly what I'm currently looking for.

Thanks in advance!

Le_ther

Hi, I'm looking for fantasy stories where the main(ish) focus is magic research. I'm mostly hoping for explanations of the magic system, descriptions of experiments, creation of unique spells, etc.

Even better if the main character uses their new knowledge and understanding to live an easygoing life of exploration and adventure.

Can be isekai, LitRPG, GameLit. Or not. Male or female MC. I don't really care about those.
Just please, not excessive amounts of trauma, drama, politics or war. Or very Chinese style cultivation.

The Reincarnation of Alysara is a good example, Unparalleled was also a great read but it skipped a lot of what I'm interested in - explanations. Isekai'd Shoggoth was fantastic too but a lot of the magic knowledge is presented as an established fact. For a good reason but not exactly what I'm currently looking for.

Thanks in advance!
If you don't mind a fucked up alchemist way of doing magic then... I recommend Ouroboros: Records circus of oubeniel

SPECTRE_66

Thanks in advanc

Thanks in advance!
“A budding scientist in a fantasy world” should be exactly what you are looking for! “The first mage” could also be a good

rain-090

"The Reincarnation of Alysara" is pretty good, though the Mc leans more into the Mana aspect of things

Reactions: Num

Ehitogami

Thanks in advance!
Try The Magineer; it's not finished though and it has its own website. Dungeon Core Chat Room explores its own combinational magic system, I Became a [Biologist] in a Fantasy World explores fantasy biology, and the same author wrote another story under another account, but I forgot the name. The MC is a mage that is isekaied into a cultivation world and tries to investigate the differences between cultivation and his magic. Everything after DCCR is on Royal Road

D.Dimitrov

[Trash Talker]

proxybaba

Try mother of learning, it have detailed experiments 🧪 or u can check out mine

Nocturnis66

Thanks in advance!
yes, please try End Omega out! https://www.scribblehub.com/series/664456/end-omega/

J_Chemist

I don't normally plug in my own story into these threads, as I dislike self-advertising, but whenever my MC starts to learn new magic I tend to do an entire chapter or two on the process of him learning it. I tend to go into extensive detail, too. While it's not the sole focus of the story, it might pique your fancy; https://www.scribblehub.com/series/513014/the-blessed-child/

Or don't. Up to you. :blobthumbsup: