Magic Beasts vs. Spirit Beasts vs. Demon Beasts vs. Quantum Beasts vs. Soul beasts vs. Familiars?

LilTV1155

Read stories that involves pets or spirit animals or familiars. But I'm not clear on the exact differences between those: Magic Beasts vs. Spirit Beasts vs. Demon Beasts vs. Quantum Beasts vs. Soul beasts vs. Familiars?

What are they?
How are they different from the others?
Is there a specific umbrella term for these creatures altogether?

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
You decide, or the author decides. These things do not exist in reality so it's up to the one writing what they are within the frame of what has been previously established. If there's no word for what you want to make, create it.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
I see magic/spirit/demon beasts as just different names for the same thing, while soul beasts and familiars would be linked to an individual on a deep level, making them their own category, but that is just my take on it. Many others see it differently than I do. Never seen anyone use quantum beast before, so can't comment on it at all.

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
Usually you can give each one different powers or power sources. How they exactly relate to the characters is also important. Some could be intelligent while others aren't, some might be innately hostile while others are friendly or aloof. Quantum beasts specifically sounds like they'd be important to the story. Time travel elements? Are they born to correct paradoxes?

FaustVoncleave

Read stories that involves pets or spirit animals or familiars. But I'm not clear on the exact differences between those: Magic Beasts vs. Spirit Beasts vs. Demon Beasts vs. Quantum Beasts vs. Soul beasts vs. Familiars?

What are they?
There is none, they're just all different names that are popular to use for beasts. If a story has multiple of them then they'll tell the distinction at that time (if the writing is decent)

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Here is my two-cent:
Magic beast -> powered by magic
Spirit beast -> powered by spirit, might be spirit aka ethereal
Demon beast -> powered by demonic energy aka spicy magic that casts berserk and sadism to user
Quantum beast -> powered by time (?) aka tachyon, might be ethereal
Soul beast -> ...what is the difference between spirit and soul? Go google it
Familiar -> this is a term used on creatures (humans included) when they go into a contract with another creature and is used on the one that is commanded as the one who commands is the master.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
You want ideas? Okay.
A magic beast would be a normal animal mutated with magic. Like a horned bunny.

A spirit beast would be a animal possessed by a spirit, that is Most likely intelligent.

A demon beast is animal mutated by demonic energy, and may or may not be intelligent.

Quantum beast would be really small. Like atom sized.

Soul beast Some animal linked to a soul. They would reincarnate with you. A familiar is an animal linked to you by magic. But when you die, it is just an animal. It's intelligence piggy backs yours.

Some think it should become a magic beast, but the rulebook is unclear.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

What are they?
Basically all the same

Kenjona

Besides the Hand-Wavium of whatever the author says it is.

It is all just the power modifier you apply to the power(s) of the beast and what should affect that power modifier and their anti-thesis, and/or it has been shaped by said powers.

Demonic Beasts are affected by holy power and produce effects that are demonic based. A techno beast should be affected by anti-technology devices/powers and produce technological effects. A Soul beast has soul powers and should be affected by Soul affecting powers. A Holy Beasts Anti is Demonic powers and they use Holy abilities. A Magic Beast has or is affected by "Magic".

Now "Spirit Beast" is a really broad term that can cover a lot of the above beasts and other things, even in the same novel. Spirit beasts tend to be affected by or effect things depending on what the author decided their type of spirit category it is: Usually if further defined, it could be Magic, Chi, Undead (Ghost type), or Soul effects. Or any combination thereof, and a few things I have not mentioned.

The type of Beast could be cultural and have no real affect on anything. Your intrepid hero, while staying at her latest harem acquisitions house. Hears of a Tiger that has been eating villagers. It is of course a Demonic Tiger that eats humans for its powers when it is talked about; but in reality it is just a Tiger that finds humans easy prey. It all depends on the narration of the story.

Le_ther

What are they?
They are like synonyms.

Basicsally the same but different in 1 aspect

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
*Pulls Up Monster Encyclopedia*

Magic beast is a combination of an animal with magical elements which mutates into a whole new being that gains magical properties and enhanced physical attributes, some even gaining magical abilities. I.E. Magical animals with magical powers they might conjure at most.

Spirit beast is the mutation of an animal that gains energy and enhances their bodies that could basically bond with the spiritual energy of the earth, either they gain bodies that could physically interact with spiritual entities or they gain the aspect of sentience in the form of intelligence. I.E. 9 tail foxes or other spiritual animals.

Demonic Beast is basically the other form of magic beast yet different as their bodies interact with demonic energy(something like magic corruption or dark energy) which gains from the demon world or magic which began to corrupt any entities it touches. You can refer them to the type where they drastically change a being into their corrupted selves, gaining significant physical prowess at the cost of losing their intelligence.

Quantum beast are the combination of many energies mixing into the cell and mutating it to a whole other being, gaining powers though those energies mixed and radiates a toxic gas which produces from the excess energies being condense in an animal. Basically those radiated beast in a nuclear apocalypse due to the radiation of energies being mixed with one another.

Soul Beast are like spiritual beast yet moreso created from the connection of a spiritual plane that they reside in, forming connection with an individual though a soul link which would form a physical manifestation in the real world. Though a contract or any sort of connection with an individual, they would then interact with the real world though the spiritual link between the contractor and the beast.

Familiar is the generalize term of 'Contracted Summons' through the use of a link between the summoned and the summoner. A one-way link between individuals or animals are form, enhancing one another though the contract, enabling even gaining their summoned servants abilities through the connection.

*Closes Monster Encyclopedia*

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
They're all familiars, especially the familiars. Everything else is just a rose by any other name. Do they fill the trope of "beast companion"? Familiar. Are they summoned a dozen to die to some mid-range small-fry? Disposable familiar. Do they look like you've met them before? Not familiar, they just look familiar.