Magicians in a LitRPG

HURGMCGURG

That Guy
So, I had an idea for a story that I know I could never write in a way that would make me satisfied. I thought it would be cool to have a LitRPG that takes place in a Victorian England style setting, where the main character and many of the supporting characters are magicians. (Everyone knows that magicians are just gentlemanly wizards.) The main character would be picked up by a bum of a magician to be trained in the mystic arts, and would go on a slightly silly adventure throughout a city in order to steal back some magic notes that were stolen from the bum magician. I had plot twists and character design all written out, but I just can't seem to write it in a way I like. It makes me sad.
I kind of want some help figuring it out, or I just want someone else to write the damn thing instead.

Last edited:

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
LOL. well, since everyone is a magician I take it then that there are specialities that each member has to cover a blind-spot/gap for the others?

the biggest hurdle for such a setting, is the research needed to keep things authentic. So knowing what were the sayings at that time, what things were called and the speech patterns of people in different social castes. Determine the location(s) and understand where they are in relation to each other, what each places specialities are and the common jobs for workers in that area. If you use real-world locations then make sure to know what scale that city/town had reached at the dates you choose to have the story occur. for example what was a small town at the beginning of your story, could become a large town or small city or even shrink in population at the time you reach later in the story after progression or a time-skip. Also note things such as the placement of services, high-class shops are rarely ever found near low-class businesses like taverns etc because of the worries of security by the upper caste.

build up these various details in clean lists and a tidy folder system and you can find yourself fully prepped to write your plot and work it around the facts.

you do indeed have creative liberty to change facts as its fiction rather than non-fiction, but its recommended to use near truths because it adds authenticity and reduces the amount of work you need to do to make a believable setting.

Jemini

Well, it sounds as though you are off to an excellent start. You have world building, and you have characters. Now, clearly, all you need is writing ability and maybe relevant background knowledge. (I don't know the current state of your background knowledge.)

So far as I'm concerned, those are the 4 corner stones of a good piece of writing. I'm willing to lend a hand in helping you write the thing if you are willing to put in the work. I'm definitely not going to do it for you though, I have my hands plenty full with my own series, and I am quite happy working on that thank you very much.

I have offered some general advice and written it up in an article (because it's too darn long to post in a forum post) here.

If I'm going to be the one helping you, it's likely the advice I will give will nudge you in the direction of my own writing style and the things I find important, so you might sample my work a little in order to judge for yourself whether it's what you want yours to look like or not. Or, if you don't care, maybe it's not necessary to do that at all.

At any rate, I will need to see a sample of what you have written in order to make a good judgement on what direction you specifically should go in order to improve.

I would suggest you take a look at tip #1 on my generalized guide as well, because I WILL be asking you to do this a lot if you work with me, to a point you will get sick of it. It is what works though. It's the one and only thing every author will tell you is proven to work for everybody and in all circumstances. So, be aware of that, and be prepared to put in the hard work if you want to really do this.

Arexio

Coffee Addict
So, I had an idea for a story that I know I could never write in a way that would make me satisfied. I thought it would be cool to have a LitRPG that takes place in a Victorian England style setting, where the main character and many of the supporting characters are magicians. (Everyone knows that magicians are just gentlemanly wizards.) The main character would be picked up by a bum of a magician to be trained in the mystic arts, and would go on a slightly silly adventure throughout a city in order to steal back some magic notes that were stolen from the bum magician. I had plot twists and character design all written out, but I just can't seem to write it in a way I like. It makes me sad.
I kind of want some help figuring it out, or I just want someone else to write the damn thing instead.
Interesting premise.

Well, like some others said in a different thread, if you want more back and forth, come to the discord server.

Throw your idea either in the #novice-chat or #workshop channels. I'm sure there'll be someone interested in helping you flesh it out more or give feedback on something you've written.