Making Useless Deities Busted

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Gods come in all shapes and sizes, ruling over all aspects and dominions of a fantasy world down to the tiniest details. In an immense fantasy world, it seems there are many wonderful elements in a universe over which to govern, each with its own beauty. Of course, some Gods get the luck of the draw - from the Deities of Magic, Water Deities, Fire Deities, and Deities of the Wind - there's so much their elements can do for the world, and so much control that they can muster. However, for some Deities who get saddled with the bottom of the barrel dominions - it can be tough to even find one use for their powers.

I want you to consider the most useless dominions in a traditional fantasy world, and elaborate on how you think they could get some actual power. Whether they're a God of an extinct plant that they can't bring back to life, a God of a lone type of material that hasn't been discovered yet, or a God of incredibly specific phenomenons or bizarre cuisine of a lost civilisation - find the most strange and useless Gods, and see how hard you can bend their powers to make them... well, not as useless, I guess.

Who knows, perhaps the God of Tombstone Carving has a hidden aspect to their power that few know about? Or maybe the God of Retrospect looks back to see an element of their abilities that they'd long since forgotten?

It's up to you!

Chaos_Sinner777

Imprisoned Soul Seeking Isekai
How about a God of Stories? Who basically knows everything. Including the truths behind, and locations of many ancient and powerful artifacts lost to history. Bit similar to the Retrospect idea though. Edit: Just thought of it more, and frankly his cultural influence would probably be even more significant.

Last edited:

AkalE

Deity of democracy. She's powerless cause the power is all with the people. If she tries to become powerful she dies and Deity "democracy" is born.

trashwrite

It's up to you!
When they shuffled me off to my new world, I was excited. Elated. Abso-fucking-lutely thrilled to be done with my 18 Aeons in God Training School.

You know what they made me the fucking god of?

Magnets.

You ever hear of anyone worshiping magnets?

Of course not!

And as if it couldn't get worse, they sent me to some backwater world that's still stuck in the bronze age! It's bad enough to be given dominion over something people in the age of information don't understand, but I had to wait for these monkeys that frequent my church to learn about electricity. Awful. Simply awful. No one worships the god of magnets. I had to wait a century between miracles, enlightening them on things that were absolutely meaningless to them. Nonetheless, they still carved them into bronze and golden idols. In the first few centuries I enlightened them on mathematics.

In the second I taught them about electricity. Still, no one cared about this, and I wasn't about to waste time showing them how to light their homes. They already had candles. I could only do so much.

In the third I taught them about the Lorentz force.

No one cared about the god of magnets until the rail-guns came around.

Kldran

Maybe the reason so many villains do so many silly things, like leaving a hero for dead without actually confirming the kill, is due to a god of bad habits. Don't even need to do anything, they've already taken their power and made it genre defining! ;)

Goswick

Drunken Australian
Maybe the reason so many villains do so many silly things, like leaving a hero for dead without actually confirming the kill, is due to a god of bad habits. Don't even need to do anything, they've already taken their power and made it genre defining! ;)

All hail the Trope God, who is 95% responsible for the failure of any villain's evil scheme!