Man.. is it okay for like a chapter to not have 1000+ words?

DonHon

Cat enthusiast
I am writing a story, all my failed attempts of making a story because in chapter 1 i do 1000+ words and then... my damn brain just shuts and i dont know what to do

so im doing a chapter less than 1000+ words but i feel like im gonna get bit in the leg because of this or maybe im just lazy like im making a first person perspective manga damn...

D

Deleted member 54065

I am writing a story, all my failed attempts of making a story because in chapter 1 i do 1000+ words and then... my damn brain just shuts and i dont know what to do

so im doing a chapter less than 1000+ words but i feel like im gonna get bit in the leg because of this or maybe im just lazy like im making a first person perspective manga damn...
Pop literature nowadays not only encourage it, but force it on their platforms (like Inkitt and that writing platform where they force you to cut your chapters into 1k words or less because you won't be able to upload it if you ignore their prompts).

But yes, like TK said, it depends on your story narrative and flow.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I once experimented with a book, writing with 1000-1200 words per chapter. It was easy and fun and I could do two chapters a day, sometimes one of the chapters even going above 1500 words. It also inflated the number of chapters and as we know, there are many who start a novel only if they see a big chunk of available chapters. So it can be a valid strategy to pursue.

RobBanks

Honestly, you worry too much.
People take themselves way too seriously around here, and don't even get me started on Royalroad lol
This isn't a Nobel prize competition, alright?
Just focus on having fun and stop stressing random details.
I write a lot of dumb, slow paced stories, no one's yet come to kidnap me to the second dimension or anything.
If you're not enjoying yourself, how will any of your readers?
Just start by putting something on the screen already, and worry about the rest later.
You can always go back and change stuff if you feel like.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
If it really bothers you, then use asterisks to split a chapter up. It might help with the shutdown part since you can always use that as a convenient time skip within the chapter. No need to stick to 1000+. In fact, going under might help you in the long run. Less words in each chapter means you can pump up the number of chapters in your story.

Having a large number of chapters is a good way to entice readers.

D

Deleted member 54065

People take themselves way too seriously around here, and don't even get me started on Royalroad lol
Agree to this.

I write a lot of dumb, slow paced stories, no one's yet come to kidnap me to the second dimension or anything.
Please do tell us your address. I swear we won't do something like kidnapping you for writing such stories.

Just start by putting something on the screen already, and worry about the rest later.
Seriously, I agree to this. Rewrites exist for a reason. The more you dawdle, the more you won't develop your writing skills.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Best advice yet... but:

The "yet" part worries me. :blob_neutral: What... what if they do come?

RobBanks

The "yet" part worries me. :blob_neutral: What... what if they do come?

Well, you got me there. I suppose if worst comes to worst, I'll at least have a lot more material to write about.
Then I can write even more dumb stories until I manage to enrage someone else from another dimension, so they'll come kidnap me again out of there. Rince and repeat.
And then... profit, I guess?

Yairy

The Dreamer of Wonderland!
As long as you tell what you need in the chapter. Word count is subjective.

LAJistics

Is it gay, if it's with a futa?
My stories are all short. I've seen some people on here saying they pump out 8k+ words per chapter. I'd be done in like 4-5 chapters if I followed that guideline.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
I'm struggling to find a good meassure myself. My first chapter is currently 8k+ words long and if I cut the chapters short I'll end up with 750 to 1.25k words per chapter, which is pretty short, imo.

Just do what your head, heart or cliffhanger tells you to.

MajorKerina

Whatever allows you to write more chapters. You can shoot for any particular goal on a given chapter or an opening chapter or whatever but ultimately you want to make sure that what you’re making is sustainable to your mental health and to your creative output.

CubicleHermit

1000 words is plenty. Much less than that, and I'd probably just post it tacked onto the next chapter.

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps

Yes, there is no rule that said your chapter must have over 1000 words.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes

Do what I do. Put two chapters together.