Mary Skelter Nightmares

EternalSunset0

images (31).jpeg

Anyone heard of the game? Recently got back to it after putting it down for a year due to getting stuck finding a key and gun upgrades.

Fun dungeon crawler, mixing elements of ecchi and horror. It's not the only one in its genre, but when it comes to the fanservice dungeon crawlers on console, it's by far the one I had the most fun with. It does legitimately spook me in the dungeon crawling sectors at times, and the ambiance is just perfect for giving me the creeps.

I also like how it has moe and ecchi but doesn't go over the top with the sexual content like a lot of similar games.

The game's so fun, and I think it's available on Steam already.

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
View attachment 7666

Anyone heard of the game? Recently got back to it after putting it down for a year due to getting stuck finding a key and gun upgrades.

Fun dungeon crawler, mixing elements of ecchi and horror. It's not the only one in its genre, but when it comes to the fanservice dungeon crawlers on console, it's by far the one I had the most fun with. It does legitimately spook me in the dungeon crawling sectors at times, and the ambiance is just perfect for giving me the creeps.

I also like how it has moe and ecchi but doesn't go over the top with the sexual content like a lot of similar games.

Already made my research on it... surprisingly, it is made by Compile Hearts and Idea Factory (FF, SN, AA, and DE re;Quest developer) so because of that, I delved deeper. I watched the trailer and this 'unique battle system' was actually already created, and it isn't unique in any way. Persona Q and Persona Q2 are other dungeon-crawler that handled their battle system that way due to the fact that they didn't have any budget to make 3D models of their characters. Well, they were already on the red in the first place.

And with how many girls in the game, it kind of reminds me of CONCEPTION but it was mostly children, rather than, teens and adults.

To be honest, the ART is pretty charming (which reminds me of FAIRY FENCER F... I recommend you playing that) yet I don't always advise myself that ART quality can beat STORY quality (The Neptunia series always had a problem with their story quality... same as the Atelier series). Unfortunately, it wasn't on my 'good game' radar so I never really played it, but if you're having fun then maybe someone out there will have the same sentiment.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
View attachment 7666

Strikingly similar if I say so myself

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
In terms of RPG and Date-sim this one sucks. It was fun at first, but later on it gets worse and really terrible.

Elemental attacks and status ailments are useless for you since hit-all and multi-hit non elemental attacks really broken. They make random encounter which was kind of challenging at first becoming like walking in the park. And, oh, the protag can easily prevents heroine from berserking, it could be more challenging if he got more restrictions.

Classes are kind of imballanced, some have more skills some got less.

You cannot purchase weapon from your HQ, only upgrade. You can only get them from either enemy drop, chests or random merchant. Imagine humanity last base never provide weapon support, that's just silly.

Some random merchant got some OP equipment they sell for god knows who? Just how he got stuffs our organization can never provide? Why didn't our organization try invite him to our group?

Fixed treasure chests always give random items. For real?

You can only increase girls affection by giving them gifts, nothing else. Some date sim alright? You can even maximized them super early in the game. But you need to see their event which spread wherever without hints if you want to get their ending. Damn....

Not to mention you need to go through some perverted fan servicy segment to make sure your chicks don't get berserk too frequently.

Well, those are the main issues from this game. The only thing this game do right is visual. Serously, the opening movie is so epic, why can't the game be just as good?

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

In terms of RPG and Date-sim this one sucks. It was fun at first, but later on it gets worse and really terrible.

Elemental attacks and status ailments are useless for you since hit-all and multi-hit non elemental attacks really broken. They make random encounter which was kind of challenging at first becoming like walking in the park. And, oh, the protag can easily prevents heroine from berserking, it could be more challenging if he got more restrictions.

Classes are kind of imballanced, some have more skills some got less.

You cannot purchase weapon from your HQ, only upgrade. You can only get them from either enemy drop, chests or random merchant. Imagine humanity last base never provide weapon support, that's just silly.

Some random merchant got some OP equipment they sell for god knows who? Just how he got stuffs our organization can never provide? Why didn't our organization try invite him to our group?

Fixed treasure chests always give random items. For real?

You can only increase girls affection by giving them gifts, nothing else. Some date sim alright? You can even maximized them super early in the game. But you need to see their event which spread wherever without hints if you want to get their ending. Damn....

Not to mention you need to go through some perverted fan servicy segment to make sure your chicks don't get berserk too frequently.

Well, those are the main issues from this game. The only thing this game do right is visual. Serously, the opening movie is so epic, why can't the game be just as good?
Yeah I noticed that all-element thing midway through the run. They just trivialize all random encounters as long as you stock up on AGI on your mage. As for the hero preventing berserk though, I think it's fine. You do have a "life bar" to work with, and I find it a good balancing factor.

I noticed the thing on classes, too. I think the Libero line is the worst(?)

Same gripes on the weapon purchases. I got stuck with a character I had to bench because I cannot get a weapon for her lol.

As for the storytelling implications that followed, I don't think about those at all, so those never bothered me. The thing with merchants, your base not having weapons, etc. Treasure chests having random items is sort of a JRPG staple at this point, so it never bothered me, too.

Same thing with the affection system. I always felt like the game's not as much of a dating sim but a dungeon crawler, and the bonding events are just there to hide some SoL and character development stuff behind requirements.

The touching game is fine. Then again, I am personally a lot more accepting of the pervy stuff that people could complain about. It's the Japan thing anyway.

Glad to hear your thoughts on the game.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
Treasure chests having random items is sort of a JRPG staple at this point, so it never bothered me, too.
Well, I didnt play much of new JRPGs, especially the online ones. Is it common for them to have fixed treasure chests (one time open) with random items nowadays?

EternalSunset0

Well, I didnt play much of new JRPGs, especially the online ones. Is it common for them to have fixed treasure chests (one time open) with random items nowadays?
I'm not sure if that would be accurate for new JRPGs, but I remember playing a few before with "fixed" chests for key items and other respawning chests that give random items every time you enter. Megaman Battle Network had them if I remember correctly.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I'm not sure if that would be accurate for new JRPGs, but I remember playing a few before with "fixed" chests for key items and other respawning chests that give random items every time you enter. Megaman Battle Network had them if I remember correctly.
Uhh, fixed chests usually don't respawn buddy. A good example of fixed chests are the chests in the dungeon of the legend of zelda. Once they you open them, the chests remained there.... Empty. In some game, the chests might disappear and never come back. Or just be replaced with random chests.

And if my memory is right, in megaman battle network, once you get the key item, the fixed chests disappear and will be replaced with random chests.

EternalSunset0

Uhh, fixed chests usually don't respawn buddy. A good example of fixed chests are the chests in the dungeon of the legend of zelda. Once they you open them, the chests remained there.... Empty. In some game, the chests might disappear and never come back. Or just be replaced with random chests.

And if my memory is right, in megaman battle network, once you get the key item, the fixed chests disappear and will be replaced with random chests.
I must have worded it wrong, but what I mean is that there are "fixed" chests and there are respawning chests. However, what I didn't notice is if Mary Skelter chests respawn. They do have those "collection points" so I might have confused them with each other.

hyperkvlt

Lowkey Game Developer
I must have worded it wrong, but what I mean is that there are "fixed" chests and there are respawning chests. However, what I didn't notice is if Mary Skelter chests respawn. They do have those "collection points" so I might have confused them with each other.
Well, both chests and collection points give random items/equipments. So it's no surprise that some people confused them.

The only diference is that the chests don't respawn after they opened. Some other players also complained about this, too. Since the treasure chests aren't very rewarding. Why don't they put some nice items or equipments there, instead they make it random like collection points.